This is crazy of Dodge . . . might be good for Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > This is crazy of Dodge . . . might be good for Jeep

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-27-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

This is crazy of Dodge . . . might be good for Jeep

Here read the last few lines:
Ram Trucks Will Always Be Dodges, Ram President Says - PickupTrucks.com News

Apparently Dodge is going to be dropping the Dakota in 2011 !

Dose this mean, Jeep might get a chance to make a pick up truck ?

Mike

AMCSportTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
XJ2Timer

The current body on frame Dakota is dead. There may be a mid size "lifestyle" unibody pickup down the road as a replacement.
Personally I'd love to see a small 4 door ultra short bed pickup. At most a 4 foot bed. Almost like how people take their XJ and make the back a small bed. Just enough space for daily little stuff around town. I'll hitch up my utility trailer for the rare times I need to get bigger stuff. Why drive every day with more wheelbase and length a regular bed has when you don't need it.
The Subaru Baja was too much car, not enough truck.
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The magnum could be retooled into an el camino like pickup. With a Hemi and awd, itd be a nice little performance machine and should satisfy anyone who wants to be able to haul a few things yet get the car like handling and smooth ride. And with the MDS Hemis, mpg would be in the mid 20s.

Then Jeep could grow a pair and spend the couple thousand it would take to tool up a halfcab and bulkhead for the 2-door unlimited body that already exists.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I can't imagine that they would elemintate a midsize pickup, they have always marketed it as a "larger than compact" and to only have the full size just seems dumb. although dumber things have happened, enter the elemination of the XJ and the neon...
Unread 02-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A Wrangler based pickup would be midsize and would offer style, offroad capability, and durability that nothing else could touch by a longshot. I liked the dakota over any other mid or compact pickup since it was a dodge and it offered a V-8. But other than that, what really set it apart from the rest of the pack? Nothing much.
Unread 02-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the6nightmares View Post
I can't imagine that they would elemintate a midsize pickup,
In 2005 the Dakota got ugly, bigger and more expensive. People figured they could buy a Ram for not much more. Sales dropped off.
If they bring the size back down a little it would make sense.
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithpick View Post
Outdoor hockey is all about bringing fans and players back to their roots. Shinny games on an outdoor rink is where pretty much all NHL players developed their love for the game, and where they played countless hours with family and friends. So everyone here at The Puck Doctors thinks the idea of playing NHL games outdoors should be more than just an annual ritual and more like a requisite for each team at least once. The conditions may not be perfect and are weather dependant, but management should recognize the value in having their players take part in an outdoor game.In more cases than not, the outdoor classic games rejuvenate the spark and passion for the game in the players that take part. On the first day of the New Year for 2010, it was the Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins that played the winter classic at Fenway Park in Boston (Home of the Red Sox). Here are the highlights from the game for those of you that missed itNHL Jerseys
Did they show the Dakota replacement at an outdoor hockey game or did you post in the wrong forum?
Unread 02-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

i was wondering about a spammer ?

or

to much fun ?

Mike
AMCSportTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
jms12490
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dodge will be coming out with a new redesigned small truck to replace the dakota
jms12490 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ford is coming out with the F100 so Dodge is probably coming out with something to compete with it.
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
Ford is coming out with the F100 so Dodge is probably coming out with something to compete with it.
I thought Ford canceled the F100. Is it still a go? In my opinion 1/2 tom pickups have gotten outrageously big. Need something back to the size of a 1970 Chevy pickup.
Unread 02-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
black05tj

X2 on Dakotas getting ugly (same for Durangos), and expensive! Unless you work for a living, or actually have enough toys or big enough toys to need a full size truck, I think the sheer size of them is more of a PITA to deal with in day to day driving than they're worth.

I've heard that Ford is killing the Explorer Sport Trac too. I think the pricing is a big part of it. Why spend $28-$30K on a midsize when the same money will get you into a nice Full Size, with more capability? Regardless of driving preference, I expect to pay less if I'm getting less truck.
Unread 02-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No ones buying the sportrac because they totally strayed from the formula that made it a success. It was a blend of a little pickup with a lot of SUV back when the explorer was a legit SUV. But then it became bloated, expensive, and lost what SUV capability it had. Soccer moms are all that buy most SUVs anymore because theyre nothing more than minivans that dont quite look like minivans. trying to make a pickup out of one of those is a guaranteed fail.
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
FlexdXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The new Dakotas are ugly and don't even get a Hemi option. Kill it. If i wanted a Dakota i'd get an 01 R/T. AFAIK they are replacing it with a unibody truck. I guess so they can compete against the Honda Ridgeline.
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
FlexdXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAsh74 View Post
No ones buying the sportrac because they totally strayed from the formula that made it a success. It was a blend of a little pickup with a lot of SUV back when the explorer was a legit SUV. But then it became bloated, expensive, and lost what SUV capability it had. Soccer moms are all that buy most SUVs anymore because theyre nothing more than minivans that dont quite look like minivans. trying to make a pickup out of one of those is a guaranteed fail.

When did an explorer have any capability?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.