Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 02-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #91
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I actually really like it. Will it be the new XJ? probably not but as long as companies like Rusty's make lifts for it and maybe a steel replacement for that bottom piece out front and the right kind of armor for it, The new 3.2 pentastar will likely provide all the power you could need to take it out and do whatever. The new Grand Cherokee is plenty capable and this will likely follow suite. We wont know for sure until next month when we get specs from the New York Auto Show, but I see a lot of promise.

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #92
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

all i hope is that its not called the WKmini....

- Build Thread -
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #93
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necros View Post
Wasn't there some kinda rumor about them redoing the wrangler soon and making it a little rounder? Could this be the shape of things to come?

/panic
/facepalm
While I wouldn't necessarily put it past Chrysler/FIAT to do something that stupid, I can't see a rounded off Wrangler selling well and if they drop solid axles forget it.

They may be able to get away with it on a "Cherokee"/Liberty Replacement that is aimed at the mass market that buys the utterly boring RAV4s, CRVs, etc and don't necessarily buy for off-road capability. But the Wrangler is marketed directly at enthusiasts who won't react lightly to it being "watered down".
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #94
Emoto
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
While I wouldn't necessarily put it past Chrysler/FIAT to do something that stupid, I can't see a rounded off Wrangler selling well and if they drop solid axles forget it.

They may be able to get away with it on a "Cherokee"/Liberty Replacement that is aimed at the mass market that buys the utterly boring RAV4s, CRVs, etc and don't necessarily buy for off-road capability. But the Wrangler is marketed directly at enthusiasts who won't react lightly to it being "watered down".
Let's just hope they did a nice job on it in terms of interior appointments, suspension, NVH, and drivetrain. If someone looking at the Rav4 or CRV can take a test drive and not find it wanting, that would be good.

Awaiting specs, but didn't some Jeep official say a while back that new models would have a trail rated version that would have best in class ability? Not that this would be Wrangler-level capability, but if it spanks a Rav4 or CRV, that would be good. Even with the controversial styling I would rather have one of these in my garage than a Toyota or Honda.
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #95
Emoto
2002 KJ Liberty 

Oh, and here is the press release from Jeep that came with the good photos:

"Auburn Hills, Mich. - Jeep(r) Cherokee. The name is instantly recognizable as the most capable and versatile mid-size SUV in the world. For 2014, Jeep brings the Cherokee name back to North America with the debut of its all-new mid-size sport-utility vehicle.

Set to debut at the New York International Auto Show in March, the all-new, "no-compromise" 2014 Jeep Cherokee sets a new standard with even more best-in-class capability, exemplary on-road driving dynamics, and fuel economy improvements of more than 45 percent versus the outgoing mid-size SUV model.

The all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee will be built in the United States at Chrysler Group's Toledo Assembly Plant in Toledo, Ohio, and will arrive in dealer showrooms in the third quarter of this year."

That middle paragraph is rather intriguing, I'd say. The 2012 Liberty (if that is the outgoing model they refer to) got 22 mpg highway. If that is what they are replacing then +45% = 31 mpg, which doesn't suck. It equals the CRV and exceeds the 28 mpg of the Rav4. As for "exemplary on-road driving dynamics" are we still thinking this is based on the same platform as the new Dart? A very critical automotive writer I know has nothing but good things to say about how the Dart drives. How much that has changed along the way to adding 4WD?/AWD? (since we don't know what system it will use) and adding ground clearance, we shall see. Also, "even more best-in-class capability" is certainly Marketing-speak, but could be based on something. Let's hope so. I would much rather have the CRV/Rav4 shopper buying a Jeep.
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #96
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What's up with the headlights? Today's Jeep keeps going away from the classic, round headlights, which I think is a mistake. I hate the headlights on this and the 2014 WK2. Yuck. It's like Fiat has screwed with it.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #97
jgc98
1994 ZJ 

Like many new cars I don't like the look of, I'm sure it'll grow on me, and I might end up buying one (used) one day. But I'm puzzled what makes them go so far on design on a Jeep? Let's face it, the average buyer is pretty conservative. And this is the one that Chrysler can't afford to get wrong. So the Design Manager that convinced Management to go this way, must be a persuasive guy...
http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-Made-Easy-Michael-Hass/dp/8771144625
jgc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #98
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I also noticed it looks like it has the trapezoid wheel wheels not the hard U shaped ones which if I'm not mistaken, make it easier to fit more tire on less lift

- Build Thread -
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #99
Chris S
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's not my taste (at least not based on the pictures, I'd like to see it in person) but I'll give them props for trying something new.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #100
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

After showing her pictures, my mom is interested. She has a Hyundai Tucson and it looks similar to the new Cherokee.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #101
jeremy04949
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a turd.
jeremy04949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #102
xjken99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The only Jeep that I have really liked since they replaced the XJ has been the Wrangler. We live in a time where ugly vehicles sell and because of that there are more ugly designs on the roads today than in any previous era. To me the new Cherokee (THAT WAS HARD TO TYPE) is pretty ugly, Juke, Cube, Xb or Aztec ugly? No. I do think it will sell better than the Liberty it replaces. I would really like to see some of the other designs that were rejected in favor of the final look just to see what else was considered. As usual I will wait to see one in person and see some specs but, I am not optimistic my initial reaction will change. My 13 year old XJ still looks and runs like new and if the time ever comes to make a choice between a new replacement or a total restoration my money is with the restoration.
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #103
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

One of the ugliest cars I've ever seen.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #104
Agony Wagon
Anti-Seizeaholic

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a Ford.
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #105
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe the trail rated version will come with a little bigger wheels and more ground clearance. Trying to remain optomistic.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.