Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #76
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

2014 Liberty Replacement Revealed

Yup...it's the 1st Gen Compass all over again. I'm thinking it'll get a revamp in 2 years lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kenny-g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #77
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Meh

One thing don't like that it is going to be built on a primarily FWD platform and not be be solid axles. These kinds of things are important factors for people who plan on modding it and really off roading with it.

Personally I don't mind the idea of a cross-over-ey car/suv thing from Jeep. I like the compass and the patriot a lot. They make great economic cars for the wifey while still being a Jeep (although the compass is really a Dodge Caliber). My only real concern with this 2014 "Cherokee" is; why call it a Cherokee? The Cherokee has a legendary history. I feel like if they are going to make an effort bring the whole thing back and go back to the old name, why not make it a real bad *** Jeep? It's like they are kind of insulting the name Cherokee in their own little way.

Don't let my words be misconstrued, I really like this vehicle as a new 2014 mule-for-a-new-vehicle-whos-name-is-yet-to-be-determined. But I do not like it as a cherokee. I understand they are just modernizing the design, but, they make the wrangler new looking. And it still holds its styling cues from the beginning of time and it still serves its original purpose. Why change the Cherokee so drastically much?

Dunno Maybe it's just me.

Here are better pics BTW http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/22/2...al-in-a-hurry/
macklamar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #78
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is the Liberty not called a Cherokee in other non domestic markets? I don't see why everyone is in an uproar over the name? The Cherokee name isn't nearly as legendary as anyone makes it out to be. It is only so among purist, most car buyers can't tell the difference between an XJ, ZJ, WJ, WK etc they're all "Cherokee" to them.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #79
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I was really hoping this would take the place of the old Cherokee which was a good compromise between on and off road. I could be wrong, but it looks like a mostly on road vehicle. It doesn't look like like we'll be able to put an aftermarket bumper and winch on it. I would imagine lifting it will be complicated and costly. Will Jeep ever make my ideal vehicle again; something between this crossover and a wrangler?

Edit: Now that I think about it a Grand Cherokee would fit between a crossover and a wrangler. Too bad they cost so much.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #80
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Why should Jeep make a small pickup? Toyota already makes a great one. Why should Ram build pickups? Ford already makes great ones. Why should Dodge build the Dart? Ford already makes a great compact car. Why should Chrysler build a minivan? Honda already makes good minivans.
Those are excellent points actually. Tacomas are awesome, they're exactly what I'd buy if I was looking for a small pickup truck. Unless someone else made something more utilitarian. If Jeep was going to make a small pickup and they made it basically the same as a Tacoma, that would be dumb as hell. If they made it on a JK Rubicon platform THEN they'd have something worth selling. Or if they made something super lightweight and inexpensive like a MJ or a smaller, more pickup-like Ridgeline thing - again it wouldn't be a wannabe Tacoma. Same basic idea applies to the rest of the things you mentioned, vans and compacts and all that.

If I wanted to choose between several different things that are really the exact same crap as each other wearing different clothes, I'd wait for the next presidential election.
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #81
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was effy wondering for yrs would jeep revive the Cherokee name. Now I wish they didn't. I understand jeep has to make designs like this to please the market or else they will fold, but come on. I really don't knw what to say as a xj owner.
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #82
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

rebel that is true, I was going to bring that up but didn't. The liberty really is just a progression of what the Cherokee would have been over time (like when GM brought the GTO back). So I guess in that sense, it is a logical design.

Except no solid axles
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #83
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macklamar
rebel that is true, I was going to bring that up but didn't. The liberty really is just a progression of what the Cherokee would have been over time (like when GM brought the GTO back). So I guess in that sense, it is a logical design.

Except no solid axles
No solid axles suck but it will never happen, just be glad the JK is still solid axle. IFS is better for 90% of driving and that includes mild off roading IMO. As much as I enjoy tech gadgets and soft touch materials you can't beat utilitarian vehicles, that's why I bought an XJ.

The only real fail IMO is the FWD biased drive train, that has no place in an "off road" vehicle.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #84
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I don't see how this is a Liberty or Cherokee replacement. At least it will be interesting to see what they did with the performance and fuel economy.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #85
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
FWD biased drive train
I KNOWWWWW! WTF??

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying so there is not much need for me to add more
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #86
Bionicrooster
2010 JK Wrangler 

I actually like it, not for me, but I think it will sell like hot cakes.
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #87
Necros

I think it looks ok .. was waiting to see what it would be like... I like the interior more then the outside though.

So.. I think I just decided to get a Patriot after all.
Necros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #88
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPERSCREEPERS99 View Post

It is possibly the ugliest car I have ever seen. I can't believe they would put the Cherokee name on that.

Looks like the 2000 Wagoneer concept mixed with a Ford Escape. I can't believe this comes from the same company that does the WK2. I mean seriously, did they test this on any focus groups?

Reminds me of Edgar form MIB.

My guess is there will be a refresh/facelift very quickly. This actually looks like a Chinese knock-off and not a real Jeep. Is the NY auto show scheduled for April 1st?
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #89
Necros

It looks a lot better in the official photos.. it's not that ugly, but I dont really get the whole 2 tiered headlight thing.. but if the top ones are eyebrows, looks like it's about to sneeze.

Wasn't there some kinda rumor about them redoing the wrangler soon and making it a little rounder? Could this be the shape of things to come?

/panic
/facepalm
Necros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #90
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macklamar View Post
I KNOWWWWW! WTF??

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying so there is not much need for me to add more
I agree and the big question is WHY? Why another vehicle based on the Dart's platform. The Patriot/Compass replacement is already susposed to be on this platform and I would imagine that Fiat has RWD platforms they could have used. Heck a "Cherokee" based off the LX platform (maybe shortened) would be interesting.

A FWD platform on an AWD/4WD vehicle makes absolutely no sense, AWD/4WD already gives you plenty of traction so being primarily FWD offers no benefits. But you still get the drawbacks of a transverse mount FWD setup including: weaker components, more loss of power in the transmission/drive train, nearly non-existent towing capacity, generally more difficult to access/work on, CV joints to fail, etc.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.