Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #451
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
It occurred to me the other day that Jeep actually did already try to sell a re-done squared off boxy new Cherokee - it is the most recent Liberty (KK?) model. And, for any number of reasons, it tanked. Didn't sell well. So, it is no wonder they are trying a new direction.
True, though I think the lousy power-train (3.7L OHC V6 and 42RLE), lack luster fit and finish, and poor reliability had far more to do with it tanking than the design. After all the Honda Pilot has a boxy design (though no off-road ability to speak of) and those sell like hotcakes.

I actually liked the design of the KK, though I likely wouldn't buy one for the aforementioned reasons (now if they would have offered it with a 4.0L I6 and an AW4 I or a 3.6L Pentastar V6 and a W5A580 or a manual, and taken care of some of the other issues I may have seriously considered one).

dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #452
Mikekaz1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny-g
^ hmmm good point. I could see why they'd try this then. I still hope it looks better in a few years.

I'm in the same boat as you two, I would like a steel roofed 4 door JK and a JK8 available on lots. It'll be hard for them to make that many versions of a Wrangler though when they have all the other Jeeps

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I can see a J8 wanting to be offered from the factory but...

Why a steel roofed jk? What's the benefit/difference from a solid mounted body matched fiberglass topped one. Other then for roof rack abilities. (Which they've made work anyways)
Mikekaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #453
KLRJEEPER

While not the best looking rig, it's better than any of its competition. I'm planning on getting either the mango tango, or anvil trailhawk for my wife to replace our mazda 5. Still plenty capable, but more comfortable than my jku.
KLRJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #454
barnettd

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJEEPER View Post
While not the best looking rig, it's better than any of its competition. I'm planning on getting either the mango tango, or anvil trailhawk for my wife to replace our mazda 5. Still plenty capable, but more comfortable than my jku.
I think it is a good move to take sales from Honduh, Toys for tots and the rest... While the front is very different that is exactly why it will stand out besides having the best capability for a small ute.
With a 271 HP V6 and a 9 speed the thing should move out with some umph and get good mpgs... open up the skyslider or panoramic sunroof and it should be a fun vehicle.
When you see a Cherokee you won't mistake it for a CRV, Santa Fe or Equinox.
Lastly... it better be a home run for Jeep or the JK version of a Jeep will not survive under our governments CAFE rules.
barnettd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #455
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
True, though I think the lousy power-train (3.7L OHC V6 and 42RLE), lack luster fit and finish, and poor reliability had far more to do with it tanking than the design. After all the Honda Pilot has a boxy design (though no off-road ability to speak of) and those sell like hotcakes.

I actually liked the design of the KK, though I likely wouldn't buy one for the aforementioned reasons (now if they would have offered it with a 4.0L I6 and an AW4 I or a 3.6L Pentastar V6 and a W5A580 or a manual, and taken care of some of the other issues I may have seriously considered one).
One thing I always wondered is why they didn't put the 4.0 V6 and W5A580 in the KK like they did with the Nitro. I think if they did that and had a better interior it wouldve done a lot better.
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #456
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson View Post
One thing I always wondered is why they didn't put the 4.0 V6 and W5A580 in the KK like they did with the Nitro. I think if they did that and had a better interior it wouldve done a lot better.
It would have been nice to see a Liberty (KK) with the 4.0L V6 (or even its 3.5L brother). Aside from being an interference engine with a timing belt (not usually an issue as long as you change it at the recommended interval) and being a gas hog (not that you buy a Jeep for the fuel economy) it was a decent engine in both performance and reliability, that plus a decent transmission (and fixing some of the misc. quality issues) and they would have probably sold a whole lot more.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #457
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
It would have been nice to see a Liberty (KK) with the 4.0L V6 (or even its 3.5L brother). Aside from being an interference engine with a timing belt (not usually an issue as long as you change it at the recommended interval) and being a gas hog (not that you buy a Jeep for the fuel economy) it was a decent engine in both performance and reliability, that plus a decent transmission (and fixing some of the misc. quality issues) and they would have probably sold a whole lot more.
The 3.7 and the converted Mini Van transmission was placed in the Lib for production and cost cutting reasons. It was cheaper to convert the notorious minivan trans for rwd and 3.7 is basically a 4.7 minus 2 pistons and I am sure many things in both motors are shared.

The 3.7 does develop torque quickly at low rpm which is a good thing for the KK and it has been a motor that been tweaked and proven. However, being that is 90 degrees it needs to be balanced and the computer sometimes has to play firing order to keep it from vibrating. If it were a 60 degree the computer wouldn't have to play around too much, it would be easier to balance and also more compact to fit in the engine compartment. Of course all that developing means time and $$.

Anyway not certain of the dimensions or what would it take in programing, but I would love to have that new 8spd available as an aftermarket upgrade for the Lib. People are telling me that the new 8spd makes a world of difference over the old 5spd in the current GC.
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #458
LouC
2007 WK 

I agree that the Lib had the potential to be a better vehicle. But, at that time there was no reason to lose the valuable Cherokee name here in the home market. The new Cherokee should have been:

Steel hardtop boxy body on a stretched Wrangler frame. Live axles.
Smart Jeep would have updated the 4.0 to a 4.7 striker with a cross flow head.
No mystery, they went and spent a lot for nothing. First gen Libby not impressive at all. 2nd was a bit better but still not competitive.
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #459
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson View Post
Don't know for sure about this particular case but some of Chrysler's engine decisions have been based on production capacity. They have attempted to balance the mix by what production was available (increasing engine capacity or changing production mix can take a few years).

Pentastars came late to Wrangler and some other vehicles precisely because there was not enough capacity at first.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #460
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rumor at Allpar that a SRT version of the Cherokee is in the works (375 hp?)

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...kee-srt-coming

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #461
starscream
1981 CJ5 

If I'm to trust things I read on the internet, production started a few weeks ago and the new Cherokee should be arriving in dealerships late August/early September.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #462
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
If I'm to trust things I read on the internet, production started a few weeks ago and the new Cherokee should be arriving in dealerships late August/early September.
At least they have given us some warning so we can don some dark shades to prevent being blinding by looking at this ugly monstrosity.
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #463
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
At least they have given us some warning so we can don some dark shades to prevent being blinding by looking at this ugly monstrosity.
But what happens if you come across one and you don't have your sunglasses on? You could be a danger to yourself and other people on the road. It would probably be safer if you just don't drive, and leave the hard concentrating on the road stuff to us people with less of a flair for the dramatic.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #464
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

I seen a new cherokee today they actually look good I'd buy one to be my dd and let my zj do what real Jeeps do and that's wheel
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #465
KLRJEEPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Rumor at Allpar that a SRT version of the Cherokee is in the works (375 hp?)

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...kee-srt-coming
Interesting....

We are looking at a mango trailhawk for my wife, we want a vehicle that can do some wheeling on trails but be great in everyday driving situations. We have my Jku for the harder trails but for camping or running up to our cottage or other places, the trailhawk fits the bill.
KLRJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.