Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #181
JeepXJ12

So why not call it a Liberty? If they truly are marketing to a wider base then why bring back old nostalgia names like Cherokee and Wagoneer? It seems like they are trying to capture the old Jeep loyalist to help the brand. I don't think the style is what is upsetting hard core Jeep owners. It's that this new Cherokee can't be easily worked on. Mods will be extermely limited. Why can't the new cherokee have solid axles like the Wrangler? All of us oldies know IRS and IFS are extremely limited off-roading. Buy a Grand Cherokee if you want something smoother riding.

SmittyBuilt Brush Guard
ProComp 2" BB lift
Monroe SensaTrack Shocks
[URL=http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/499297]My Jeep[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=436360]The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #27[/URL]
"This Jeep is going in Deep and coming out dirty and wet"......
Black Jeep Club v2.0 Member #12
JeepXJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #182
Necros

I think the look is starting to grow on me more.. maybe it would look better if you blacked out the top lights so they blend in more Wonder what the prices will be like.. hoping for somewhere between the GC and Compatriot.

I hope for offroadyness it will at least be like a GC. On the inside it looks like the same kind of knob for selecting your terrain. I always preferred the extra shifter knob thingy on Wrangers, but on my 08 anyway the 2nd shifter was always right where my knee wanted to be. Got uncomfy real quick.

I bet if you lifted it, gave it some big tires and threw in some extra lights and covered it with mud people would like the look a lot more
Necros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #183
charleypick

Necros, Maybe that's the marketing strategy. Mud covered fun during the day, and a slick vehicle for a night out.
charleypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #184
XJ2Timer

The Holy Trinity of UGLY.

Aztek, Juke and this.
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #185
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJ12 View Post
All of us oldies know IRS and IFS are extremely limited off-roading.
HURRR AND BRING BACK CARBURETORS AND DRUM BRAKES AND WE SHOULD DRIVE TRICERATOPS AROUND AND REAL CARS ARE PULLED BY ACTUAL HORSES AND HAVE WOODEN WHEELS WITH METAL TIRES! HURRRRRR!!!

I made the mistake of believing the hype about solid axles, and have had more ^$#% break on my WJ's solid axle suspension during less than a year light wheeling than in a decade and a half of heavy wheeling on IFS rigs before.

I see nothing wrong with independent suspension as long as it's engineered to actually operate. Putting a giant, always-connected sway bar on an independent suspension kinda negates the whole "independent" part of that.
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #186
JeepXJ12

Unless you are baja racing the independent suspension will always be inferior to solid axle in low speed rough terrain conditions. I'd say most off-roaders that have Jeeps use them for slow speed rough terrains. IFS and IRS has limited travel, limited clearances, etc. (unless you want to spend mega bucks which doesn't scream Jeep owner) If you are highway driving, baja racing, or off-roading a basic hard terrain with lots of turns then IFS and IRS are for you. If you are rock climbing or doing serious off-roading then you want solid axles hands down. Most people would also argue that a solid axle is tougher than IFS contrary to your experience. They'd also argue solid axles are easier to repair on the course. Looking back at the heritage of the Cherokee, it is very similar to the Wrangler. It wasn't known for it's handling or smooth ride. It was known to be slow and steady but a wonderful off-roading machine. So of course you are going to anger some old Cherokee guys by destroying its roots.
SmittyBuilt Brush Guard
ProComp 2" BB lift
Monroe SensaTrack Shocks
[URL=http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/499297]My Jeep[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=436360]The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #27[/URL]
"This Jeep is going in Deep and coming out dirty and wet"......
Black Jeep Club v2.0 Member #12
JeepXJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #187
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawoodrocker
Toll me if i'm wrong guys but I think a real Jeep should respect at least 2 of those 3 style characteristics, the 7 slot flat grill in the front, the rounds lights and the ''boxy'' boby... and guess what! the 2014 cherokee does'nt have one of these.....
The yj only has 1 of those.

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #188
crdjon

i wouldnt, but it sure looks like they are .....
crdjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #189
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post

I know its the journey. What i was saying, the dodge nitro and jeep liberty shared the same body, differant header. same thing with the journey and new cherokee. same body, dif front end.

hence the two pictures for comparison.

didnt think my post was that unclear that i would have to explain it...
Tone down the attitude man, your original post didnt say anything about the Dodge Journey being the same platform as the Grand Cherokee thus why I thought I'd tell you that was a Jounrey and not a Nitro/Liberty. Yes actually, your post could've used some clarification or at least one line saying the Journey/GC part.
Kenny-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #190
Necros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Necros, I saw that same picture and wondered the same thing.
Was just also thinking... small one = cherokee, big one = grand wagoneer?
Necros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #191
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It looks terrible, and the lack of a solid axle is waaaaay down on the list of what's wrong with it. I don't care how nice the interior is...

It looks like a Jeep got drunk at the bar one night, took home a Nissan Juke, and 9 months later this showed up at its doorstep with a note that says "too ugly, no one wants me"
XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #192
Emoto
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necros View Post
Was just also thinking... small one = cherokee, big one = grand wagoneer?
I kind of don't think so. The 2014 Grand Cherokee has been introduced and it is not this. You can see the 2014 GC here: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...#photo-5559494

We may be seeing the stretching that happens with a wide angle lens. But, I am not 100% sure. Note that the lowest in frame horizontal line on the floor and the rails of the balcony above all expand the father you go to the left of the picture, seemingly being a part of that same distortion.

Edit: I just noticed that I read your comment incorrectly. I thought you said Grand Cherokee and you said Grand Wagoneer. Sorry about that. Maybe?
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #193
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I take it back... the Juke looks less goofy...
chero-juke1.jpg   chero-juke2.jpg  
XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #194
Luke83CJ8
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJ12 View Post
Unless you are baja racing the independent suspension will always be inferior to solid axle in low speed rough terrain conditions. I'd say most off-roaders that have Jeeps use them for slow speed rough terrains. IFS and IRS has limited travel, limited clearances, etc. (unless you want to spend mega bucks which doesn't scream Jeep owner) If you are highway driving, baja racing, or off-roading a basic hard terrain with lots of turns then IFS and IRS are for you. If you are rock climbing or doing serious off-roading then you want solid axles hands down. Most people would also argue that a solid axle is tougher than IFS contrary to your experience. They'd also argue solid axles are easier to repair on the course. Looking back at the heritage of the Cherokee, it is very similar to the Wrangler. It wasn't known for it's handling or smooth ride. It was known to be slow and steady but a wonderful off-roading machine. So of course you are going to anger some old Cherokee guys by destroying its roots.
I agree that I and WE would prefer solid axles.....but let's not kid ourselves. Solid axles were in there Cherokee's and other 4x4's because that was the technology of the time. Mid-late 90's is when IFS and IRS started to become more readily available and economically feasable. Tahoe's/Blazer's/Explorers all started to switch over. Auto makers don't care about the off-roading ability of these SUV's to the extent of the difference between a IFS/IRS vs solid axle. They are going to use the drive system that rides/handles better on road....then give the vehicle a little more ground clearance and 4wheel drive to make it "off road capable."

Face it, if the Cherokee XJ was designed to be a hard-core off roader by Jeep then it would have also had body on frame construction as opposed to Uni-body. Do you honestly think that re-inforcing body structure of the cherokee signifies it as "designed from the factory" for hard core off roading?

Everybody needs to take a breath..... 25+ years ago many people probably thought the venerable XJ Cherokee was sacrilege because it wasn't body on frame and had no V8 like the original Full Size Cherokee's.
Luke83CJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #195
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post
HURRR AND BRING BACK CARBURETORS AND DRUM BRAKES AND WE SHOULD DRIVE TRICERATOPS AROUND AND REAL CARS ARE PULLED BY ACTUAL HORSES AND HAVE WOODEN WHEELS WITH METAL TIRES! HURRRRRR!!!
I about died whe I read this lol I want to post this every time a angry XJ owner posts sh*t about other Jeeps (Liberty, newer GC's, MK's, etc) on Jeep's FB page. It'd make people think about how stupid they are being for asking of these to come from the factory when the market does not call for them at all. Well said and played my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke83CJ8 View Post
I agree that I and WE would prefer solid axles.....but let's not kid ourselves. Solid axles were in there Cherokee's and other 4x4's because that was the technology of the time. Mid-late 90's is when IFS and IRS started to become more readily available and economically feasable. Tahoe's/Blazer's/Explorers all started to switch over. Auto makers don't care about the off-roading ability of these SUV's to the extent of the difference between a IFS/IRS vs solid axle. They are going to use the drive system that rides/handles better on road....then give the vehicle a little more ground clearance and 4wheel drive to make it "off road capable."

Face it, if the Cherokee XJ was designed to be a hard-core off roader by Jeep then it would have also had body on frame construction as opposed to Uni-body. Do you honestly think that re-inforcing body structure of the cherokee signifies it as "designed from the factory" for hard core off roading?

Everybody needs to take a breath..... 25+ years ago many people probably thought the venerable XJ Cherokee was sacrilege because it wasn't body on frame and had no V8 like the original Full Size Cherokee's.
The last part sums all of this up in my opinion. Right now this is radical and ugly but I'm sticking with my original thoughts on another forum that Jeep will redesign this in 2 years or 3 (just like they did with the Compass) because it isn't going to be initially very popular but then once redesigned it's popularity will blow up. Thats what happened with the Compass...sorta. I'm thinking this new Cherokee is going to revolutionary for it's market suspension and interior wise but looks...just bad for now.
Kenny-g is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.