Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #166
charleypick

So I'm here because we bought a 2011 Chrysler 300 and love it. I have an old Nissan Murano crossover and like the idea of buying another North American car as the 300 has been surprisingly pleasant to own and drive.

It's been a hard hunt for a replacement for the Murano. It is roomy and pretty reliable. Nissan service has been a separate issue entirely, so I'm not looking to buy there again. We also want better than the average 19MPG we are getting from the Murano.

So for we have looked at the Kia, it has nice styling but unfortunately feels pretty cheap. I'm interest in the new Toyota RAV-4 but again it has a cheap feel to it.

I'm hoping that the parent company of Jeep/Chrysler has brought some of the love the 300 received into this model. Basically a great priced, reliable, and well featured vehicle.

Looks:
The leaked pictures of the Cherokee from Jalopnik are admittedly pretty poor looking with all that plastic on the front. The shots released from Jeep this weekend however are much improved as the amount of plastic up from has been removed and replaced with body colored paneling. The LED daytime lamps and lower headlights do not bother me though and I actually prefer the lower lamps so I'm not blinding car drivers like you see with some larger SUVs and trucks. The toothy grin with the chromed Jeep Grill, bends and all, looks pretty nice to me. I think it looks classy. From the side the Cherokee looks like a sport shoe, not unlike the Infinit FX.

There are no official pictures of the back. The ones leaked look odd with the upward swoop leading to the read window. I guess I'll have to wait to see the finished product to make a better judgement.

The shots of the interior (albeit blurry and not official) look pretty classy like the 300 and Grand Cherokee. The interior of my 300 is my favorite part of the car and I look forward to a somewhat similar experience in the Cherokee. Chromed trim as in the 300 surrounded by soft touch plastics make the interior feel a bit more classy and substantial than what I'm seeing from many competitors in this class. The controls are well laid out and are similar to the 300 which has proven to be ergonomic in daily driving.

Features:
So I'm hearing FWD and AWD options are in the plans. Certainly this does not sound like an off road vehicle at all with perhaps the exception of some uneven ground. That suits my driving needs just fine as I'm mostly a road warrior with the occasional neglected gravel/muddy road in Lake Tahoe. One of the leak photos shows traction options via a control dial that are Auto, Sport, Snow, Mud/Sand, and Rock for the AWD model.

I see what appears to be an electronic parking brake option below the shifter. I'm undecided about this feature. Not sure if I trust parking at a incline in San Francisco with a button that I cannot get feedback from like a pedal.

Looks like dual-zone climate control and heated seat and steering wheel are part of the configuration too.

I have not seen a sun/moon roof in any of the pictures. I've hear it may have a sky slider like the Jeep Liberty with an option for a panoramic roof on a higher end model. I worry that the sky slider will mar the overall slick appearance this SUV is trying to portray.

Ruggedness:
I cannot speak to this at all since I'm a highway guy. Hopefully we can hear more from others about possible ground clearance, suspension, skid plates / underbody protection, crawl functionality, frame, stiffness, etc. It's a Jeep so there has to be some ruggedness element to use as a selling point.

I look forward to hearing from others.

Last edited by charleypick; 02-24-2013 at 05:38 PM..
charleypick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #167
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

This has nothing to do with XJ cherokees. Post this crap elsewhere.
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #168
charleypick

Hi Motorcharge. Thanks for the sharp jab in the ribs. Get the mods to create a new area for it and I'll ask them to move it. Otherwise this category already has 2014 discussion topics in it and is the best place at this point.

Edit: I see a Future Models & Prototype Discussion area. I'll get the thread moved there.
charleypick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #169
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleypick View Post
Hi Motorcharge. Thanks for the sharp jab in the ribs. Get the mods to create a new area for it and I'll ask them to move it. Otherwise this category already has 2014 discussion topics in it and is the best place at this point.

Edit: I see a Future Models & Prototype Discussion area. I'll get the thread moved there.
There is already a subforum for this it is called the future models discussion

Moved
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #170
zalantar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

As an XJ owner, I have a sort of loyalty to the name and styling of the XJ Cherokee and understand why many other owners of XJs dislike the Cherokee badge being put on this. That said, I also think that many either don't know or have forgotten that the Liberty was originally the replacement for the Cherokee and carries the Cherokee name plate instead of the Liberty name plate in many countries outside of the USA. As such, if the new Liberty/Cherokee replacement does get introduced as a Cherokee, it would be understandable.
zalantar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #171
dawoodrocker
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalantar
As an XJ owner, I have a sort of loyalty to the name and styling of the XJ Cherokee and understand why many other owners of XJs dislike the Cherokee badge being put on this. That said, I also think that many either don't know or have forgotten that the Liberty was originally the replacement for the Cherokee and carries the Cherokee name plate instead of the Liberty name plate in many countries outside of the USA. As such, if the new Liberty/Cherokee replacement does get introduced as a Cherokee, it would be understandable.
dont forget the liberty name was adopted in america to give more power to the grand cherokee name but the 2 liberty kj and kk, have still something to go off road. I thing the cherokee 2014 is only good for someone who like highway and mall parking... Sry for my bad english...
dawoodrocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #172
dawoodrocker
2008 KK Liberty 

Toll me if i'm wrong guys but I think a real Jeep should respect at least 2 of those 3 style characteristics, the 7 slot flat grill in the front, the rounds lights and the ''boxy'' boby... and guess what! the 2014 cherokee does'nt have one of these.....
dawoodrocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #173
PanosKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

....there is an end to every thing.....and this weird vehicle is the very end of the Jeep era....ofcourse life goes on and evolves continiously and people should do so....but there are a very few things in life that stand strong against changes and remain always the same no matter time or evolution...these little things are called values and Jeep is a strong all american value and can't be eliminated by a group of designers on coke (as said well by another friend here!)....
We all Jeep owners, Jeep devotees, Jeep lovers, we all very special people must stand up and let not this thing happen! NONE has the right to mess with an american legend, an american legacy, an american value and volgarized it the way it shows very clearly in the photos posted here.
This weird vehicle can only bring laughs and at the very same time tears to every and each one of the Jeep people......
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #174
PanosKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

....as I look at the photos of this undescrible short of vehicle I see an Audi, a Volvo, a Hundai and altogether on an Alfa Romeo base....there is absolutely no way to describe this "thing" which is -I'm dead sure- a result of mixing together various vehicle designes in a pc by a group of dead stoned people so called "designers".....
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #175
crdjon

it kinda looks like a maxda cx10..... with a bent seven slot..... that thinks its an audi.....

typical chrysler though its very shiny on the outside.....
crdjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #176
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdjon View Post
it kinda looks like a maxda cx10..... with a bent seven slot..... that thinks its an audi.....

typical chrysler though its very shiny on the outside.....
please dont associate that atrocity with the styling design of such a beautiful German car.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #177
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny-g View Post
Uh...that's a Dodge Journey...which doesn't have anything to do with the Nitro or Liberty nor does it look anything like this new Jeep lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I know its the journey. What i was saying, the dodge nitro and jeep liberty shared the same body, differant header. same thing with the journey and new cherokee. same body, dif front end.

hence the two pictures for comparison.

didnt think my post was that unclear that i would have to explain it...

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #178
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ha ha....wow, what a bunch of drama queens!

"The end of everything"

"How dare they"

"What right do they have?"

"Our legacy"

Listen, I understand people are upset by reviving the name on something that's not a gas-guzzling off-road capable aerodynamics-of-a-brick that was mostly used as a grocery getter by soccer moms in it's time, but seriously? You guys are acting like they just shot your grandma.

The XJ in it's previous form would *never* sell in today's market, and in order for Jeep to survive and meet regulations for the rest of the fleet, they need to produce good gas mileage crossovers that appeal to a wider market.

As much as we like to think of ourselves as the core of the Jeep market, we're not. We're actually just a small demographic that Jeep would go under if they tried to cater to.

Times change and brands change, and with the Wrangler and GC as the main offroad vehicles, this vehicle has to serve a different niche. Turns out it's not you.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #179
Emoto
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Ha ha....wow, what a bunch of drama queens!

"The end of everything"

"How dare they"

"What right do they have?"

"Our legacy"

Listen, I understand people are upset by reviving the name on something that's not a gas-guzzling off-road capable aerodynamics-of-a-brick that was mostly used as a grocery getter by soccer moms in it's time, but seriously? You guys are acting like they just shot your grandma.

The XJ in it's previous form would *never* sell in today's market, and in order for Jeep to survive and meet regulations for the rest of the fleet, they need to produce good gas mileage crossovers that appeal to a wider market.

As much as we like to think of ourselves as the core of the Jeep market, we're not. We're actually just a small demographic that Jeep would go under if they tried to cater to.

Times change and brands change, and with the Wrangler and GC as the main offroad vehicles, this vehicle has to serve a different niche. Turns out it's not you.
Very well said! Jeep caters to the off-road enthusiast market with the Wrangler and the Wrangler Unlimited. That's it. The rest are all meant more for the road with some level of off-road as a secondary consideration. If we want Jeep to survive, we have to let Jeep pull market share away from other brands. Time will tell, but if this new Cherokee succeeds in pulling buyers from other brands, that will be a good thing.
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #180
Emoto
2002 KJ Liberty 

I think it will be interesting to see what kind of off-road capability Jeep gives this new Cherokee.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.