Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #151
Necros

I'll reserve my final judgement for when I see it in the flesh (or plastic & metal in this case) .. I don't think it looks bad just not jeepy. Looks better than the original compass anyway. Just the top light thing looks too anime. All it needs now is a bright yellow alien cat sidekick dancing on the roof with laser beams shooting out of it's butt.

As long as they keep the wrangler a wrangler they can make whatever else they want...

Been holding off on getting a new jeep since I knew this was coming and wanted to see it first. I think I'm just gonna go with a loaded Patriot or a low end Grand Cherokee instead now... maybe see if I can get a good deal on a '13 leftover.

Necros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #152
42TomaHawk
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPatriot

Lights and bent grill are causing me not to like this right away. In the 70+ years of Jeep, was there ever bent grills on a Jeep? I can see where they're going with this and I think it's in the right direction, but the front facia does need more work on it. The Cherokee/Liberty had room for equipment on the bumper, while this has no bumper. As the ESPN Monday Night Football crew would say...." Come on Man"!!
I'm not sure if within the 70+ years of Jeep they were ever owned by an Italian automaker. This (new Liberty/Cherokee) is truly a product of FIAT.
42TomaHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #153
WJamin
1999 WJ 

Wait, when you guys say cherokee you mean just cherokee right? Not grand cherokee? I think the new grand cherokee looks pretty cool. The front end takes a little getting used to, but not much different from the 2012 grand cherokee. The pictures are on Jeeps website, you can even look up the reveal on youtube, it looks nothing like the pictures on this post. Now if it IS the regular cherokee you're talking about, then nevermind. But then again, I'ma wj owner, so I've never really cared about any of the other jeeps accept maybe the wrangler.
jeep.jpg  

Last edited by WJamin; 02-24-2013 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: photo
WJamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #154
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Yes just the Cherokee. Not the new refreshed Grand Cherokee. It would be suicide to mess with that as the new grand has been hot since it came out.

The more I stare at the new Cherokee the less I'm mad at it. Its not horrible but the front end is just missing something. I just can't quite put my finger on it...from head on it doesn't look so bad but that front 3/4 just doesn't sit right with me. Well that and the massive overhang of the front end.

Edit: its the headlights, turn signals/led strip and the grill that bother me. The grill needs to extend lower by a few more inches and the upper turn signals/led strip combined with larger overall headlights blending with the fender contours and body lines and I think it would fix it.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #155
Megs_Revenge
SUV Enthusiast

2005 WK 

As with any vehicle, it's lifetime will be determined by consumer demand. If you don't like the styling of it, (for whatever reason) show Chrysler/Jeep by not purchasing it. If they're not selling units, it's not profitable to them. As with any manufacturer, they're looking to make money. If they can offer this to what everyone refers to as the "soccer moms" and it actually gets sold.. Well then that's great for the company. If not? Well, then it will either get restyled or discontinued further down the line. I mean, look at the Aztec or PT cruiser. Of course as with any offbeat cars, they'll have their fan base.

From a newly formed Jeep person, my perspective seems that everyone always pines for the "good ol' days".. I'm pretty sure there were people back then who thought the new models were junk. It's like that with any vehicle. Hell, there were people who preferred the boxier Blazer/Tahoes to my former s-10 Blazer. But, don't think that it's awful that they're pandering to people without any intention of lifting this or making it more offroad capable. Just look at it as one less person who will try to purchase that Wrangler you want.

With that said, I think I'll be passing on a purchase of one of these. Definitely not my taste..
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #156
daveWK42
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_Revenge
As with any vehicle, it's lifetime will be determined by consumer demand. If you don't like the styling of it, (for whatever reason) show Chrysler/Jeep by not purchasing it. If they're not selling units, it's not profitable to them. As with any manufacturer, they're looking to make money. If they can offer this to what everyone refers to as the "soccer moms" and it actually gets sold.. Well then that's great for the company. If not? Well, then it will either get restyled or discontinued further down the line. I mean, look at the Aztec or PT cruiser. Of course as with any offbeat cars, they'll have their fan base.

From a newly formed Jeep person, my perspective seems that everyone always pines for the "good ol' days".. I'm pretty sure there were people back then who thought the new models were junk. It's like that with any vehicle. Hell, there were people who preferred the boxier Blazer/Tahoes to my former s-10 Blazer. But, don't think that it's awful that they're pandering to people without any intention of lifting this or making it more offroad capable. Just look at it as one less person who will try to purchase that Wrangler you want.

With that said, I think I'll be passing on a purchase of one of these. Definitely not my taste..
I think the issue is that it's being branded as a cherokee...an iconic nameplate that seems to be being watered down. If it were to be given a new name or branded as a compass, I think the uproar would be lessened. It's that they're calling it a cherokee that's got people in a lather.

hers: 2013 patriot sport
his: 2008 grand cherokee laredo
daveWK42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #157
Emoto
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necros View Post
The look is kinda growing on me.. still don't get the split up headlight thing.. what's the top ones? turn signals?

Just was looking at the article again.. in this pic..

The one on the far left looks fatter, taller, bigger in general.. Is that just a screwed up photo that got stretched on the ends? or is it gonna be the big one is the Chrokee and the smaller one is the Spirit?
Necros, I saw that same picture and wondered the same thing.
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #158
Lynnwilly
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveWK42 View Post
I think the issue is that it's being branded as a cherokee...an iconic nameplate that seems to be being watered down. If it were to be given a new name or branded as a compass, I think the uproar would be lessened. It's that they're calling it a cherokee that's got people in a lather.
Yup. Yer right on in my opinion.
When Detroit (etal) has badged a totally new vehicle with an iconic name, it has seldom gone over well. It just ain't right!!
They ain't getting a penny of my money for this one.
We wheel a '93 XJ- it goes where we want it to, and it's appealing to us. I can get any number of psuedo-SUVs for a lot less than this will sell for, whatever that will be.
I'm still looking for a real & affordable 4wd from Jeep that my wife'll drive here in AZ summers. LOL there.
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #159
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveWK42 View Post
Not me, I don't have any special feeling in my crotch about the name.

I just think there's no reason to buy THIS station wagon vs. anyone else's station wagon. The whole market for little all-weather "look it's less uncool than a minivan but it's still basically a minivan" cars is so homogenized that there's not really any meaningful reason to buy one over any other.

It goes without saying that any car sold new today in America will have adequate power to get around, the days of 2 digit horsepower are gone. Any "suv" or tall wagon or whatever you want to call it will have a pretty good interior compared to anything 20 years ago, they will all handle pretty well and be pretty quiet and will be available with power everything and some form of all wheel drive. They're all going to have about the same ground clearance, the same type of suspension, they're all designed to meet the lowest common denominator driver so there won't be any hubs to lock or extra levers to pull and they'll default to the most automatic mode of behavior/drivetrain configuration every time you start them so the most oblivious airhead in the world can climb in and drive without knowing or doing anything.

So why buy a Jeep Genericmobile vs. anyone's else' Genericmobile? I could argue the same way against any other model on the market too, if everything's great then nothing's great. We should just consolidate every car company into one car company so they don't have to spend money on advertising and then the cars will all be cheaper and everyone can afford one.

Differences are why brands matter.

Jeep sells Wranglers as fast as they can make them because it's the only vehicle on the market anything like that.

Jeep sells Grand Cherokees in part because of the Wrangler and other nostagia (for XJ/ZJ/WJ models) and because from what I can tell the WK2 still has some pretty meaningful off-pavement chops, though its lack of suspension travel (seen in videos) scares me & looks nothing like the claimed 10+ inches per wheel.

Why would I buy the other products Jeep makes when I'm going to cross shop them with every other generic, not-made-for-real-off-road-travel AWD wagon in the world? What makes the new Cherokee any different from an MDX or an RDX or an Allroad or a Q3 or a Q5 or a Q7 or an X1 or X3 or X5 or X6 or Enclave or Encore or SRX or Equinox or Traverse or Journey or Edge or Escape or Explorer or Arcadia or Terrain or CRV or Pilot or Santa Fe or Tucson or EX or QX or Sorento or LR2 or LR4 Evoque or GX or LX or MKT or MKX or CX5 or CX9 or GL or GLK or Countryman or Outlander or Armada or Juke or Murano or Pathfinder or Rogue or Macan or Forester or Outback or Tribeca or XV or Vitara or Highlander or RAV4 or Venza or Tiguan or Touareg or XC60 or XC70 or XC90?

That's a lot of models competing for the same generic AWD tall wagon market. Might as well just assign each one a number, roll some d&d dice and buy whatever comes up.

Because at least it doesn't have an X or a number in its name?
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #160
MrJeepR44
2011 MK Patriot 

While it might not seem like much of a competitor because it looks like another Jelly Bean, it actually has a lot of unique things to offer. The "Cherokee" will be the only V6 Jelly Bean that offers skid plates, tow hooks, two speed transfer case, 28+ mpg, grounds clearance, and a towing capacity over 3,000 lbs... It sounds amazing to me, and it would have been a great upgrade from my Patriot... Except that its ugly
[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee490/mrbrandonscott/My%20Jeep/OffRoad2/Avatar-1.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mrJeepr44/patriot][IMG]http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/62663.png[/IMG][/URL]

Mods: [B]K&N Filter, Draw-tite Class III Hitch, Mopar Driving Lights, Yokohoma Geolander A/T-S 225/65R17, STU's coils[/B]
MrJeepR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #161
JeepXJ12

So far we know this has IFS and IRS so that kills all off-roading IMO. It will be uni-body and AWD (optional). What I hate is it is bastardizing the Cherokee name. Cherokee's were known for their off-road ability in par with the Wrangler. This will be lacking far behind the Wrangler in that category. When I had my XJ, I could take that thing any where off-road and it amazed me. I took that thing through things that big modded pick-ups couldn't get through. It was easy to mod and easy to work on. Granted it wasn't as easy to work on as my Wrangler but it was darn close. This new "Cherokee" will not be easy to work on. It will not be easy to mod. Also, I didn't care about putting a few dings in the metal. It was a box. I could either choose to plate it or repair it easily. This new design is built for the mall that I'd be sad to see someone ding with their car door. Jeep to many of us is reliable, rugged, easy to mod, easy to work on and fix, simple, and once affordable before mods. I truly believe Jeep died after the TJ. They are only making it worse by offering this and trying to use a name to bring back the loyalist.
SmittyBuilt Brush Guard
ProComp 2" BB lift
Monroe SensaTrack Shocks
[URL=http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/499297]My Jeep[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=436360]The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #27[/URL]
"This Jeep is going in Deep and coming out dirty and wet"......
Black Jeep Club v2.0 Member #12
JeepXJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #162
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJeepR44 View Post
The "Cherokee" will be the only V6 Jelly Bean that offers................. grounds clearance,
Are we talking about the same vehicle?
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #163
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJ12 View Post
So far we know this has IFS and IRS so that kills all off-roading IMO.
WK2 seems to do OK. If they'd make some sort of automagic sway bar disengagement system for 'em. (I know it would have to be automagic because they always design for the lowest common denominator )
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #164
MrJeepR44
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post

Are we talking about the same vehicle?
Yup. The trail rated model will likely have 1-2 inches more ground clearance than anything else in that category. The Patriot for example is a belly dragger, but my trail rated model came with 9 inches of clearance, and now it has 12. The pictures of the Cherokee that we are all looking at is likely a 2wd version. The blurry photo of the white Cherokee with red tow hooks is a trail rated model, and is clearly taller than the black one sitting behind it

[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee490/mrbrandonscott/My%20Jeep/OffRoad2/Avatar-1.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mrJeepr44/patriot][IMG]http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/62663.png[/IMG][/URL]

Mods: [B]K&N Filter, Draw-tite Class III Hitch, Mopar Driving Lights, Yokohoma Geolander A/T-S 225/65R17, STU's coils[/B]
MrJeepR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #165
charleypick

2014 Cherokee Pre-Release Discussion

I thought it would be helpful to create a thread here about the new Cherokee that doesn't focus on the fact that it does not pay homage to the previous model. If you want to do that, you can do it in the 2014 Cherokee thread. Instead I thought it would good to give existing Jeep owners or those curious about the new model a place to discuss and debate the model without the serious concerns shared by hard-core Jeep enthusiasts.

So if you have some interest in this new Jeep (good or bad), take a moment to share your thoughts here.
charleypick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.