JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Future Models & Prototype Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/)
-   -   Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/combined-2014-cherokee-thread-1428101/)

Marauder_Pilot 10-16-2012 10:25 AM

Combined 2014 Cherokee Thread

Combined all the assorted new Cherokee threads into one post, since we had three on the go.

For those who haven't seen it yet, [url=http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/02/23/2014-jeep-cherokee-gets-official-in-a-hurry/]the 2014 Cherokee is here.[url]

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/w...ew-liberty.jpg

FWD-biased, but with a true low-range gearbox, a selection of 4- and 6-cylinder engines, possibly with turbocharged versions of both, and potentially a future diesel option. Fuel economy around 23/32 MPG. Size and pricing between the current Patriot/Compass and the Grand Cherokee.

Apostle 10-16-2012 01:53 PM

Looks like a dodge journey

Rob K 10-16-2012 09:31 PM

You have to be kidding. How's that a replacement for the Liberty? Replacement for the Compass I would believe.

Marauder_Pilot 10-16-2012 10:24 PM

Technically, it's replacing the Liberty, but it may go back to the Cherokee nameplate.

But, yeah, that's (approximately) it. Although it will slot in between the Compass and current Liberty and replace both, in all likelihood.

Jeepsman 10-17-2012 09:35 AM

That's a disappointment; but I knew in my gut that it would look like that. Hopefully the new Compass will have a different styling. I find it odd and counter productive to have three models which slightly vary in sizes but all look alike.

I hope they go with the Liberty name. Don't take a legendary name like the Cherokee and throw it on this. What would be the benefit/point?

Rob K 10-17-2012 06:45 PM

I like the idea of a vehicle that falls between the compass and liberty. I think it will make a economic daily driver that will do some light off road stuff. Sounds about right for most of what I do. The body is awful though. Looks like every other crossover out there. Was excited to see what they came up and now I'm quite disappointed. I really need a vehicle and definitely will not be buying one of those. That is unless the photo is far from the final design.

Marauder_Pilot 10-17-2012 07:35 PM

This is an older rendering based on what we could see of the grille on older powertrain mules. By coincidence, its body is reasonably inline with the production body. The final result will look something like this:

http://www.allpar.com/photos/jeep/ch...-rendering.jpg

Basically, if you take a 2013 Compass front and a scaled-down 2013 Grand Cherokee rear, you'll get something pretty close to the Liberty replacement.

funkduck 10-18-2012 12:23 PM

heh, with Jeeps it seems we always get to hear the ol, "I WANT BETTER GAS MILEAGE, AND I WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE A 1943 WILLYS, AND I WANT A 600 HORSEPOWER CAST IRON I6 ENGINE FOR SOME REASON, WITH 7 GEARBOXES CONTROLLED BY 9 LEVERS AND 5 PEDALS, AND IT HAS TO BE DIESEL TOO!!!! "

mpg means sleek body lines, and there's nothing wrong with reusing the name "cherokee" for anything in the world they want to.. if they came out with a lowrider minivan with a cotton string hanging out of its tailpipe and called it "Cherokee" would that devalue the old cherokee you already own or used to own?

Rob K 10-18-2012 06:03 PM

Marauder, your latest photo doesn't show up. I'm not sure what your referring to.

cherox 10-18-2012 08:24 PM

I am disappointed that they are ditching the boxy style as I am a former XJ owner, but happy to see Jeep doing well and actually appealing to the mass market with their lineup. As long as they keep the Wrangler as off-road capable as its always been, they can do whatever they want with the rest.

:thumbsup:

Emoto 10-19-2012 11:41 AM

Allpar is generally pretty good, but it is not clear to me that they are correct on this one. Jeep had been using Alfa bodies bolted onto development/test mules as the vehicle was being designed/tested, and this still looks kind of like one of those. I have zero inside knowledge, but I think we may be jumping the gun on this one. Just MHO.

Jeepsman 10-19-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoto (Post 14327154)
Allpar is generally pretty good, but it is not clear to me that they are correct on this one. Jeep had been using Alfa bodies bolted onto development/test mules as the vehicle was being designed/tested, and this still looks kind of like one of those. I have zero inside knowledge, but I think we may be jumping the gun on this one. Just MHO.

Honestly, I feel that the body will look rather similar to the one the original poster shared. It certainly will not stray far away from the mule designs we've been seeing. And as mention previously, these rounded sleek designs help with mpg, which most people seem to complain about.

While disappointed, there are plenty of old Jeeps in the world which I like. And it's not like I was going to buy a 2014+ Liberty.

grogie 10-19-2012 07:22 PM

I hope that's not it!

I still to this day regret that I didn't buy a new XJ Cherokee back in the day...

Poncherello 10-21-2012 07:20 AM

I understand building an updated vehicle with new technologies. But reviewing the line up how much apart does this vehicle stand apart from the current compass? Sergio should just call it the new Patriot. It seems to be more closely related to it. That is fwd unibody with awd option that comes with a 4cyl and a 6cyl optional. If they at least kept this new vehicle as a rwd with a 4wd option it would be more similar to the current Lib (IMO)

Reviewing Ford's line you have escape and explorer; Honda, Crv, Pilot, ridge line; Toyota, fj, 4 runner, Rav4, highlander; Nissan pathfinder, Murano, Xterra, Rouge, Juke - all models really clearly stand apart from one another.
This new model is just another station wagon.

Rob K 10-21-2012 12:54 PM

The Patriot is a box and I hear it gets 30 mpg with a manual transmission when taking it easy. Not bad at all. It's too bad they are copying everyone else on this one. How do you make sales when you have the same product as everyone else? It has to be different in some way.

The time now is 02:12 AM.