"Chrysler may be forced to sell its Jeep" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > "Chrysler may be forced to sell its Jeep"

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
bnther36

"Chrysler may be forced to sell its Jeep"

JP Morgan is predicting bad things for the American Auto Manufacturers; Chrysler being the worst off. Any thoughts as to who might buy Jeep if Chrysler did sell?

hxxp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25514775/

bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No clue but I doubt it will be a good thing

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Since Chrysler is privately held its hard for analyst to really know what the situation is. Although I would say that Chrysler probably is in the worse shape of the big three. I'm sure there is still a lot of restructuring going on and money is tight. But to look on the positive side, Chrysler has agreed to make minivans for Volkswagon. I'm not sure when the Volkswagon branded minivans will come to market though. Chrysler also has an agreement with Nissan to make the next generation of Nissan Titan. In turn Nissan is going to make a small car for Chrysler. So its not all bad for Chrysler.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...butes_car_news
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
gracemely
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh please, oh please. Let's not loose another U.S. icon. After all, Anheuser Busch was shocking enough.
gracemely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
DeclarationDay
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
But to look on the positive side, Chrysler has agreed to make minivans for Volkswagen. I'm not sure when the Volkswagen branded minivans will come to market though.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...butes_car_news
I first read about those a month ago, and saw one on the road for the first time today.

Re: who will buy Jeep, I can't speculate, but rest assured the Wrangler will live on. I'm sure the same fears existed when AMC was in trouble.
Unread 07-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

speculation or not, the Nissan/Dodge partnership will vastly improve car engines, and will improve Nissan's appeal with more power and tonage options, including the diesel. In 2011, gas prices will be too high to drive a HEMI V8, and maybe too expensive to drive anything with 19mpg. Clean diesel hybrids and fuel cells are the future....
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
xjken99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I feel like Nissan is as good a prospect as any for buying the entire Chrysler brand. One of my friend who is the sales manager of a Chrysler/Jeep dealership feels that if just the Jeep brand is sold Honda would be a good match. According to him Honda has shown some interest and since they have nothing like it in their lineup it would be good fit.
Unread 07-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken99 View Post
I feel like Nissan is as good a prospect as any for buying the entire Chrysler brand. One of my friend who is the sales manager of a Chrysler/Jeep dealership feels that if just the Jeep brand is sold Honda would be a good match. According to him Honda has shown some interest and since they have nothing like it in their lineup it would be good fit.
I would prefer to see Nissan own Jeep than Honda. Honda would scare me to death. They have no concept of niche vehicles. To them everything has to meet the demand of the masses. The Accord used to be a relatively small, fun to drive vehicle. Now its a big bulky appliance that reminds me of my fathers Buicks in the early 90's. Honda used to have fun cars, but fun doesn't sell. Bigger and more practical sells better. If Honda purchased Jeep they would likely drop the SWB Jeep and build the 4 door off of the Ridgeline unibody platform. I love Honda motors but the fun to drive quotient has left their product line.

Nissan on the other hand has a grasp on off roading and how to maintain niche vehicles. They at least have the Xterra (which I think would rival the 4door JK) and over seas they have the Patrol. So I would feel more comfortable with Nissan owning Jeep. I think they would pin it more to rival the Toyata Cruiser with superior offroad ability. Honda would only see city streets and dumb it down for the masses.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Lifesgoodhere

OH GOD, I can't imagine what would happen...A Jeep with a Japanese engine....yeah, right. Maybe (probably not) Jeep could go it alone for awhile? That's what Willys-Overland did after WWII, until they were bought out by Kaiser. Maybe then Jeep will go back to its roots, and stop making "cars" made for road use only. Only time will tell.
*The Homestretch ---- Finishing the Hammer. It's on!!
Lifesgoodhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
SillyPutty
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere View Post
OH GOD, I can't imagine what would happen...A Jeep with a Japanese engine....yeah, right. Maybe (probably not) Jeep could go it alone for awhile? That's what Willys-Overland did after WWII, until they were bought out by Kaiser. Maybe then Jeep will go back to its roots, and stop making "cars" made for road use only. Only time will tell.
Cough Aisin Cough
Unread 07-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

Fund raiser for Jeep to become its own company, in return for, say, diesels, a new gladiator, Jeep Rescue, less crappy and big Wrangler, etc?
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
jttmf-mo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep on it's own would be amazing. But what will happen to the Jeep brand when those MPG laws go in effect in a few years? Is it possible to have a Wrangler get a minimum of 20 mpg?
jttmf-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Guy 712 View Post
Jeep on it's own would be amazing. But what will happen to the Jeep brand when those MPG laws go in effect in a few years? Is it possible to have a Wrangler get a minimum of 20 mpg?
4cyl 1.5 to 2 liter super/turbo'd wranglers are an option. i think they would pass over 20 mpg. More efficient engine vs less weight will help. Im sure they can pull tricks to make less weight like having a hard or soft top optional.
patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyPutty View Post
Cough Aisin Cough
x2. AW4 is a VERY solid transmission.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #15
bnther36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttmf-mo View Post

I'll bet they'd have to make it smaller than it is now. Aerodynamics would help to, but how to accomplish that while still making it look like a Jeep would be tough.

Does anyone know the difference in size and weight between the original and today's version? (Preferably from someone who owns one.) What was the mileage on the original?
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.