Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chrysler gets 3.0 diesel

11K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  slow2run 
#1 · (Edited)
Chrysler is getting Fiat 3.0 diesel ASP, i hope with a new trans, this must be the diesel engine that was tested at Reno NV some time ago, now Chrysler will need to get it certify for each jeep model they put this diesel into .That would be $250,00 to $500,000 for each test.One would hope they pass on the first try ,our Govt don't make it easy,Note thats a test for the jeep unlimited model ,a test for the 2 door wrangler model because they different jeeps and all the other vehicle models ,they want to put this engine into!:tea:

To see this engine go tohttp://www.maesco.com and look under iveco sofim hpi engine
Note: the sofim 3.0 is a 4 cylinder in-line,......... but this could be a all new 3.0 V6 diesel that Fiat is relessing in 2010 and in wrangler by 2011.

#3 ·
If that will be 4 cylinder from that page than jeep i doomed. That engine is Euro 3. So with that standard it cannot pass all requirements. Chrysler need something very modern. Me personally vote for MB 3.0 l V6. It is modern, Euro 4 now and next year Euro 5, 500 Nm of torque. Just about right for JEEP.

#4 ·
Where are you getting your info that these engines are slated for Jeep products or are you just assuming this is done deal?

There's a whole lot more involved in emissions certing and releasing a new product than running a few EPA tests. IF the leadership of the new company agrees that a diesel Jeep option makes sense for North America (that decision would be driven by where they stand w/ CAFE, because with the volumes it will not be profitable...) THEN the following has to happen:
> committ the engineering resources (which Chrysler doesn't have)
> package this engine in a platform that was not designed for it up front
> if major vehicle changes are required to package the engine, then a decision has to be made on spending major money to make the changes
> release and source all the new associated parts (intercooler, mounts etc)
> develop the vehicle calibration and SCR/DPF recipe (this requires many EPA tests on the chassis dyno)
> complete 150K mile durability testing on several vehicles to confirm that emissions limits are still met when the vehicle is at the end of its life
> get the service network in place

Total cost of a programme of this scope is $100-$200 million minimum. For maybe 5000 units a year in the states? And this assumes no engine changes are required to get to our NOx emissions levels (I'm sure this engine was only designed for Euro 3/4 which isn't even close).

Beleive me I'd love to have more diesel options available here in the states but there are too many forces working against them here. And I think the new Chrysler is going to have plenty of other products to worry about to ensure its survival than what's considered a low volume niche product. Sorry

#7 ·
That's because that, until a few months ago, diesel was substantially more expensive then gas. Now, that's not the case, it's worth driving a diesel for economy again.

And, for what it's worth, in Canada, diesel Grand Cherokees outsell gas ones.

#10 ·
Well crush33 you right, we all have been weighting for this diesel for a long time, with a lot of disappointments , but now Fiat has this diesel, and also controls Chrysler/Jeep, and its almost unthinkable that Fiat can't get it certify
for the wrangler, so if Fiat wants to sell its diesel it must get them into the jeep line ASAP:cheers2:

Crush33, the info you want will be found athttp://www.allpar.com also check its forum, and look under V6 fiat diesel, hope this helps.

#11 ·
If you want a diesel in your future Wrangler all you need to do is go to Chrysler/fiat Corp HQ ,by going to http://www.chryslerllc.com/en/
look under contact and just tell then you want a diesel in you future jeep wrangler also let them know if you want something change or added, like insulated hard tops, relocate something added or new options. Do know it all starts with you.:wave:

#13 ·
Just sent them an email.

I want both a diesel engine with lots of torque and horsepower, and dana 60s front and rear before I buy a JK.

#17 ·
For 010 Jeep continues to use the 2.8 diesel in export wranglers only, they have said know 4 cly for the USA ,because of certification cost, in second or third quarter of 010 we do get the Pentastar V6 gasoline engine, they had planed to give us this engine in 012, to certifier one of their in-house diesels for the future wrangler should cost then around $600,000, I Begin to thank that they are full of beer:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.