Chrysler dropping Jeep? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Chrysler dropping Jeep?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #31
bluefever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeeper View Post
bluefever, Sorry about your feelings about Jeep but don't let that cloud your judgement about the overall products. Granted there have been some product decisions regarding Patriot, Liberty and Compass that have not been good but those have been business and market driven decisions by other than the true Jeep guys still at Chrysler. Jeep has never been short on ideas and concept vehicles that are true 4 wheel wonders yet many of those vehicles don't make it to volume production. Your disdain of the 3.8L engine in the Wrangler has been shared by many and the next generation Phoenix V6 will be a big improvement. Having been involved in Jeep manufacturing for many years, I have seen an evolution of the product but rest assured the Wrangler is still a very capable off-road machine in stock form and has untapped capability for modification and upgrades to meet anyones needs. Personally, I miss the inline 4.0L six and the XJ Cherokee and that is why I added one to my Jeep collection. If there is a specific model that you like, latch on to it and enjoy it. No need to run down the entire company and their products.
well i'm sorry to offend people but all i've owned for jeeps is like 4 or 5 xj's,3 or 4 zj's,a rusted frame cj5,and aspired to be able to get my hands on a wrangler for the right price,albeit with bad credit,but even if i didn't have bad credit,a friend had a liberty and in my opinion after driving it and seeing what was classified as off-roading it,i'd have to say it's the most ill-placed pos i've ever seen,i think even a geo tracker had a better mission statement

bluefever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #32
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I agree too and have said this on other postings. IF Jeep is to continue there must be some sort of stripped down entry level Wrangler for about $15k MAX for all the true enthusiasts like this forum. It would be nice to have a truck option too. Liberty was only good the very first year. Unfortunately for me I had a 2002 that was a lemon then traded in for a 2005 Liberty that was also a lemon. Never again with a Liberty. Rag top is the only improvement.
Jeep needs to focus and truly listen to their customer base. Or maybe we are not their best customers?
I agree with the pricing needing to be brought down a little to make it a little more affordable, but isn't the X a stripped down model? My wife and I bought our used '07 Unlimited Sahara early last year for $17,000.00. We were not able to afford anything more than that, and I really cannot justify purchasing a new vehicle to just have it instantly depreciate by anywheres from 10% to 25% as soon as you drive it off the lot.

As to Jeep listening to the consumers requests, unfortunately, they do. Thus the Liberty, Compass, and the Commander, all of which meets the criteria based on consumers who purchase them. In all of the SUV market, we are probably the more quieter of the entire market. On a side note, if there were more Dodge guys out there screaming for a Jeep Pickup, we would have probably already had the Gladiator back in 2005.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #33
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I am too much a Jeep fan. To be honest, I do not consider the Compass, the Patriot or the Liberty a "Jeep" vehicle. .........
I may have to take one of the above mentioned "Jeep" vehicles for a test drive and see if they meet up to my Jeep standards.

And yes, I totally agree that Jeep needs to bring out the concept Gladiator as a production vehicle. I would sell my house, my kids...(well the house anyway) to get one of those.
Take the Liberty out for a spin. The blizzard of 2009/2010 really convinced me about its trafficability in harsh conditions. My wifes 2003 did better than my wrangler on snow filled roads. I put it in part time 4 wheel drive and it handled 10-12 inches of snow on the road like it was nothing. It felt solid as a rock doing 30-45 mph depending on the traveled roadway. Really impressed me. My 2007 wrangler sahara on the other hand had a tendency to float and ski on the snow. might have been the wide tires. Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and Liberty get my vote for base models.

cass
tcass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #34
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Without the other models like Libertys etc there may not be a Jeep. Look at how many have been sold Liberty, Grand Cherokee, Commander etc. Those were what has kept them going and being able to produce what they do. Sure they sell a lot of Wranglers but if that was there only vehicle to be sold it would not last long.
In the last 35 years I have owned a lot of CJs ( 5's and 7's ) 3 Cherokees, a FSJ , and now a ...yes Liberty. Bought it mainly to use on the job but they gave me a car so now its my toy. Goes great in snow, mud, whatever I throw at it!
Jeep needs other vehicles that some may not like to keep going.
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I miss the Cherokee. It was one of the most dependable, versatile vehicles that I have ever owned. I put mine through heck and back and I still was able to drive it home after the trail runs, and it had the so-called crappy GM 2.8L V6. (I rebuilt and modified it with a set of Camaro heads and intake, it was able to slightly light up the tires).

The following story was told to me by someone many years back, so I don't know how much water it holds, but it does make someone think a little about it.

"When the Liberty came out, it was originally badged as the new Cherokee, but after 9/11, it was rebadged the Liberty, as a tribute to the fallen of 9/11, but it is still called the Cherokee overseas."

I have done some research on it, and I discovered it was intended as a replacement for the discontinued Cherokee. Jeep Liberty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't mind a redesign of the Cherokee, but I thought the design of the Liberty was a little too radical. But then again, I thought the same with the JK, and now I own one. I didn't like the YJ Wrangler because of the square headlights, but then again, I own one of them too. (I see a pattern developing).

Unread 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #36
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep needs to base EVERY model off of the Wrangler. I like the Liberty too, but I feel that it fit in as a Dodge a lot better. Shouldve stayed there. The wrangler's live axles and full frame make it more of an old school hardcore TRUCK than anything other than a 3/4 ton Ram or a Super Duty.

Why isnt there more cry-out for 8 cyls under the hood? A turbodiesel needs to be an option, with that new V-6 as the base engine. Without some serious power, the Wrangler will never reach its full potential.

They need pickup versions too: A slightly extended and halfcabbed version of the 4-door to make an SUT and a regular cab with a 5-6 foot bed similar to the JT concept would be cover all bases. IMHO the extended cab and full length bed of the Gladiator along with the need for all new sheetmetal and a wheelbase/frame that doesnt currently exist would be too expensive to produce. That long of a wheelbase would only compromise its maneuverabilty anyway.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #37
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

I always thought that Chrysler brand should sell luxury vehicles, Dodge should sell heavy duty trucks, and Jeep should sell heavy duty 4x4's. I don't get the point of re-badging the same vehicle three times.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #38
XJ2Timer

I'm not sure why my links come up as "Click Here To Proceed To Link Destination". Click on message and the archive pages come up.

Quote:
The following story was told to me by someone many years back, so I don't know how much water it holds, but it does make someone think a little about it.

"When the Liberty came out, it was originally badged as the new Cherokee, but after 9/11, it was rebadged the Liberty, as a tribute to the fallen of 9/11, but it is still called the Cherokee overseas."

I have done some research on it, and I discovered it was intended as a replacement for the discontinued Cherokee. Jeep Liberty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There was a short period of time when Chrysler was thinking of continuing XJ Cherokee production while also selling the KJ Liberty.
Quote:
Cherokee fans will be happy to hear that the XJ has gotten a reprieve! A Jeep insider reports that it will continue to be built through model yearl 2005! It will be refreshed for either 2002 or 2003.
*Exclusives* KJ Name Change / Cherokee Reprieve - 10/26/00
This idea was dropped for whatever reason. My personal opinion is someone was afraid the old XJ would sell better than the new Liberty and they didn't want that kind of embarrassment.
Humorous ideas for the name of the KJ.
Cherokee Five Speed Canceled / KJ Name sugestions - 11/15/00
Note the November 2000 date at the bottom of this report on the Liberty name confirmation. So the Liberty name was around long before 9/11.
Exclusive KJ To Be Called Liberty / Belvidere Buzz - 11/20/00
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #39
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the clarification XJ2Timer. Your information helped me out a lot, as that I am sure it helped others as well.

Unread 07-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #40
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification XJ2Timer. Your information helped me out a lot, as that I am sure it helped others as well.
I really miss the old car-truck.com site. That guy had lots of insiders and from what I hear it really bugged Chrysler. I don't think Chrysler made him shut down though. I think it got to the point where he was spending all his time on his website and had to give it up due to other obligations, work and family mostly.

It was that site that convinced me to hurry up and order my 2001 XJ to replace my 1989 before the line shut down.
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #41
aerojeeptj

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
I really miss the old car-truck.com site. That guy had lots of insiders and from what I hear it really bugged Chrysler. I don't think Chrysler made him shut down though. I think it got to the point where he was spending all his time on his website and had to give it up due to other obligations, work and family mostly.

It was that site that convinced me to hurry up and order my 2001 XJ to replace my 1989 before the line shut down.
Try Allpar.com
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #42
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

I think they should let me borrow one of the pilot JK builds so that it can be further tested offroad.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #43
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojeeptj View Post
Try Allpar.com
Oh I found Allpar when car-truck shut down. I'm there quite a bit.
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #44
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

I have driven the Patriot and Compass both, and I see nothing wrong with them as being a daily driver, the Patriot looks like the Old Cherokee and can get around just fine and on less gas. The Compass was aimed to a new crowd of people and the fact it sold was good enough for me. We have owned 3 Jeeps over the years.
94' Cherokee Sport 2x4
2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4
2005 Liberty Sport 4x4
All three are good to drive and fun...most of all dependable as hell and a little snow here in SW Ohio has not slowed the later two down.. My only compliant would be gas mileage should be better but if I wanted better gas mileage then I would have bought a used Neon! To each thine own.. live and learn or just drive off road sometime. :-)
Turbobearcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #45
aerojeeptj

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
Oh I found Allpar when car-truck shut down. I'm there quite a bit.
It's a good site, I used to check it alot.....then jeepforum took over my life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.