Article: Mystery Car 69: Jeep Gladiator pickup coming? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Article: Mystery Car 69: Jeep Gladiator pickup coming?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 01-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Article: Mystery Car 69: Jeep Gladiator pickup coming?

Quote:
Jan 18, 2011
By Fred Meier, USA TODAY

It isn't often that Mystery Car on Drive On's Forum delivers a scoop, but this week we may have one. Could Jeep be making a production vehicle out of its macho 2005 Gladiator concept?

Fishininthedark correctly deduced right off the bat that he was looking at a Gladiator, a Hummer SUT-like, four-wheel-drive pickup. And it wasn't easy to pick out, given that the photo we took last Thursday at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, Mich., that cuts off the back end. We stopped by this interesting collection of all things Mopar after the press days finished at the big Detroit auto show.

But that color, yellow, just didn't seem right to Fishin'.

It took GRSKzoo to find an obscure reference on a dealer discussion site about the Gladiator having been repainted yellow. Then he came up with the scoop: a Toledo Blade article this week that hints that a new Gladiator could be in the works for production.

The Blade quotes Chrysler Group CEO Sergio Marchionne as saying "chances were better than 50%" that a Jeep-branded pickup similar to the automaker's 2005 Jeep Gladiator concept would be built alongside the Wrangler, despite protests from Chrysler's truck-only Ram brand."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ickup-coming/1

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
linkj79
1999 WJ 

I love it don't get me wrong but aren't all jeeps trucks when we pull the back seat.
linkj79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
poonamt93

That paint color is AWESOME and those rims are really nice.. The front of it... isn't so good...the
Jeep Truck looks great.
This is a perfect example of what you can achieve with time, proper planning!!
poonamt93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
slow2run
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hay back up some, that yellow Gladiator is built on a Ram truck frame, and not on the wrangler. The new jeep truck will be built from the jeep wrangler, so it going to be a lot smaller.
slow2run is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Overall, I like it. But that wheelbase is WAAAAYYYYYYYYY too long! Especially the bed, a 6 foot bed is fine with a standard cab, but with a crew or extended cab, Id want nothing longer than a 5 footer. Preferably 4 to 4 1/2 would work out nicely with a flip out bed extender like most SUTs have. The current 4-door wrangler's wheelbase is plenty long enough to work out a couple pickups.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2run View Post
Hay back up some, that yellow Gladiator is built on a Ram truck frame, and not on the wrangler. The new jeep truck will be built from the jeep wrangler, so it going to be a lot smaller.
I have a feeling that the Gladiator will be based more off of the J8 frame rather than the JK. Leaf sprung rear suspension, D60, 2700 lbs payload capacity, 7700 lbs towing capacity.

Dana 30/44, and a V6 or 4.7 for a light duty version, Dana 44/60 and a Hemi for a heavy duty version, throw in a couple diesel options for either
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
GMconvert

I don't really care how the "Ram Brand" protests! If they built something I wanted I'd look at a Ram (1/2-ton, 4x4, quad cab, light diesel, manual trans, 25 mpg, etc..). Ram can go "stuff" themselves.
Unread 02-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAsh74 View Post
Overall, I like it. But that wheelbase is WAAAAYYYYYYYYY too long! Especially the bed, a 6 foot bed is fine with a standard cab, but with a crew or extended cab, Id want nothing longer than a 5 footer. Preferably 4 to 4 1/2 would work out nicely with a flip out bed extender like most SUTs have. The current 4-door wrangler's wheelbase is plenty long enough to work out a couple pickups.
yeah... gonna agree with you, the wheelbase is kinda long - It's a good look'n truck though. Looks very practical...

Ram really shouldn't feel bad though, and it probably won't affect there sales much. Nothing against Ram at all, it's just that the customer base who want this truck, really just don't want anything to do with Ram; or any other truck for that matter. I've wanted something like the Gladiator for a while, and if I ever owned any truck, it'd be a Jeep.
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
yeah... gonna agree with you, the wheelbase is kinda long - It's a good look'n truck though. Looks very practical...

Ram really shouldn't feel bad though, and it probably won't affect there sales much. Nothing against Ram at all, it's just that the customer base who want this truck, really just don't want anything to do with Ram; or any other truck for that matter. I've wanted something like the Gladiator for a while, and if I ever owned any truck, it'd be a Jeep.
Not ENTIRELY true. Id consider a reg cab/swb/4x4 ram if it offered a manual trans and Hemi altogether. Granted, Id MUCH rather have a Jeep pickup with a similar combo. But a Ram would always be just a little less hardcore 4x4 than a Jeep and wouldnt offer the raw styling. Theres's plenty of room for both in the market. Personally, Id offer the Ram just as I described and would offer a Jeep pickup equipped similarly and then in EVERY LAST ad I would loudly proclaim that if you want a V-8/manual trans in a truck, ChryCo is the only place to get it.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
I have a feeling that the Gladiator will be based more off of the J8 frame rather than the JK. Leaf sprung rear suspension, D60, 2700 lbs payload capacity, 7700 lbs towing capacity.

Dana 30/44, and a V6 or 4.7 for a light duty version, Dana 44/60 and a Hemi for a heavy duty version, throw in a couple diesel options for either
This is how they SHOULD do it.

But, I am not holding my breath.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

I got 2 points I'd like to voice:

1. The jeep truck competing with RAM trucks is hawg wash, Most 85% of past/present/future Jeep truck owners simply will NOT own a RAM truck . . . So that what a 15% hit to RAM to gain an 85% gain in jeep . . . That is a 70% increase in gross total vehicle production. (Numbers used are just an example)

2. Its a truck weather a work horse or off roader its gotta be tough ! I would say D44/D44 standard V6 4spd auto 5spd manual . . . Then a D44/D60 4.7/5.7 V8 5spd auto 6spd manual maybe optional SRT type deal 5.7/6.1 V8 D60/D60 . . .

By ditching the option for a diesel and making the Jeep a bit more "playful" it would be less of a RAM competitor and more of a "toy" type truck like the Viper is to Challenger is to Charger is to 300 ect . . .

I'm prolly just being stupid
Mike

1982 AM-Jeep J-5500 / 1988 AM-Jeep MJ-343 / 1992 GTA Trans AM / 2007 Honda Rubicon.
AMCSportTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
the59sound
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkj79 View Post
I love it don't get me wrong but aren't all jeeps trucks when we pull the back seat.
That's usually how mine works
Gulf Coast Jeep Club Member #3
Confidence is the feeling you have before you truly understand the situation.
the59sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

Yup kind of how jeep has worked for a while, FSJ-trucks died 87/88 the MSJ-truck died in 92' . . . So for about 20+ years you got it pull the rear seat and set that spare engine transmission tranfercase or pile of firewood ect ect ect on in.

I hear that method works well till ya get a leakier, then those go on a trailer towed behind you.
Mike

1982 AM-Jeep J-5500 / 1988 AM-Jeep MJ-343 / 1992 GTA Trans AM / 2007 Honda Rubicon.
AMCSportTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.