2016 wrangler may lose solid axles - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > 2016 wrangler may lose solid axles

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Poison Spyder from CCOR!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 11-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #61
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dry sump?

Unread 11-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #62
Rockin1
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Not passive, just reasonable here. Yeah, I knocked it. Tons of money for a downgrade is knockable.

And don't knock my hardcore rock crawling!
It seems to me that anyone who intends to do some serious rock crawling is going to pay for some type of upgrade anyway, Solid or IFS. With the advantage to Solid. Aside from that, IFS and Solid Axles seem like pretty much a draw. The off road racing bunch seems to prefer IFS. As does the Military (Humvee and its new replacement). And about your video, at least your'e out there doing it.
Rockin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #63
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I'm mostly curious how they got a driveshaft to that differential.
As Rebelbowtie demonstrates, it's much easier to get a driveshaft to a differential that doesn't move.

That Jeep is, in a word, sick.

Anyway, Rockin1 is right in my opinion. Until the super extreme stuff, SFA and IFS are pretty much tied. IFS is a touch more expensive to upgrade, but it has inherently better road manners and handles bumps far better at speed. For the insane stuff, either one is gonna cost an arm and a leg. I love my solid-axle Grand Cherokee, but it was not the suspension in the Pathfinder that let it down in favor of the Jeep.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #64
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The problem is a factory ifs system won't resemble that JKs at all. I'm sure it would end up with something similar to ifs trucks/fj's.

Here's a pretty heavily modified fj. Those arms aren't much longer than half of a custom center set up.

I'm sure the ride is great.
image-2677501408.jpg

Unread 11-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #65
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

That's just one way to do it. It happens to be the cheapest, but longarm kits do exist, for a somewhat prettier penny.

Unread 05-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #66
Cerveja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I love how people are quick to bash an IFS system in an age when like half of the KOH rigs were IFS and most if not all the desert racers are running IFS. While I agree, the rod diameter on the Black IFS JK looks a little thin, it may be plated to reinforce the A-Arms which isn't evident in the pics. It could be cro-moly, or thick walled DOM or Titanium for all we know, doesn't matter cause the owner obviously spent some serious time in the garage or wrote some hefty checks to a shop. Either way I am willing to bet the rig has some serious skills and it's what that owner wanted, so get off his case. So now you can bash me for defending him with my low post count, I spend way to much time in the garage to wax pathetically about which people can take which Jeep to the mall using the most non-paved route. Oh, P.S. Nice truck by the way, Killer look on that front end - love it.

Reality is that Chrysler/Jeep and Ford and GM all work their collective a$$e$ off to meet emissions, EPA standards, Crash requirements, and everything else while trying to make a product that people will buy, which ain't easy sometimes. Throwing solid axles under the back AND THE Front doesn't make it any easier. Especially when every customer wants their car/truck/SUV to roll down the pot hole stricken highway like it's glass. Despite who is calling the shots and paying the bills at Chrysler tomorrow, the folks that work on the Jeep Platforms, ALLLLLL the Jeep Platforms, take their job seriously and do everything they can to maintain approach and departure angles, ground clearance and four wheel capability. While their core customers aren't all weekend crawlers and fording 4 foot rivers, they know that they need to be more capable than the Fords, GMs, Hondas and Toyotas and still be competitive conscious. Are you running stock KL's WK's and Renegades at King of the Hammers, "No" but you won't see a stock JK out there either. Like somebody already said, regular Forum Members aren't the core audience. Are they dropping solid axles in the JK next year; heck no, that ship has already sailed, these cars don't get designed over night ya'know. Are they going to make a universally swappable production IFS to Solid Axle that you can option between? Likely not, any one who has tried doing that in their garage should know that those are very different animals. What's the solution? "Everyone keep buying Solid Axle JK's till they can't keep up and Jeep will likely continue making a solid axle JK until people get tired of buying them."

Now everyone go tell me what an idiot I am cause I haven't been a member for ten years and I don't have a four digit post count. Y'all have a good night.
Cerveja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #67
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Like this!

Some more pics

Btw its 4 wheel steer, has a 502" BBC and 16" of wheel travel and adjustable ride height

YouTube video

http://youtu.be/Y9tPhXmFPX4
------
Are you guys in Kelowna ??
Unread 05-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #68
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Actually, on closer inspection, that IFS JKU has its front suspension mounted on control arms. The whole suspension can move akin to a solid axle at low speed, while retaining IFS characteristics at high speed. Jeep actually pioneered this for the 1963 Wagoneer, believe it or not.

Unread 05-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #69
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They can meet the reduced weight requirement for better fuel mileage without going IFS. They can go with an aluminum body.
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
Lud04X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #70
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The problem isn't just the axle weight itself, it's engineering the suspension to cope with the unsprung mass of a solid axle. The lower the unsprung mass, the easier it is to engineer an acceptable ride. A solid axle has a good 300lbs of unsprung weight, tire to tire. That's enormous. With an independent suspension, that could be reduced to 100lbs per side for example. That's an instant 100lbs weight savings, plus a further 100lbs off of each side, because while a solid axle is always suspended at both ends, an independent suspension only experiences the effects of the unsprung mass of that side.

With that said, an aluminum body alone won't reduce weight significantly on a vehicle the size of the Wrangler. The frame still has to be high-strength steel, and the body just isn't very big or heavy as it is. For the F-150, it cuts a lot of the weight on its own, but the F-150's body and cab weigh a ton on their own as it is. If they go IFS, they're probably going aluminum at the same time for weight savings.

Unread 05-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #71
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The hardest thing to change about the wrangler is also the main hit to mileage: aerodynamics.
Unread 05-14-2014, 11:10 PM   #72
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
The hardest thing to change about the wrangler is also the main hit to mileage: aerodynamics.
This is the real elephant in the room. All signs point to the Wrangler losing the folding windshield in exchange for a sharper rake, for better aero. I don't think this is a travesty at all- folding the windshield is a pain in the ***, and nobody does it. Last Jeep event I was at, I was one of two Grand Cherokees there (the other was my buddy) and I asked every Wrangler owner I met when the last time they lowered their windshield was. Only one even knew it was possible to do so on the JK. Only one of the TJ/LJ owners had done it.

Aside from a rake in the windshield, I also expect something to be done about the hood clamps, we'll probably see a removable lower lip (akin to the WK2) for better aero, and I imagine there will be some cleverer styling of the body lines to make air do better things to the Jeep. Even the JK's grille is slightly raked for better aero than the TJ.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.