2016 wrangler may lose solid axles - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > 2016 wrangler may lose solid axles

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Reply
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #31
Rockin1
Registered User
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: FOR SALE
Posts: 86
Most off road Wranglers are heavily modified anyway. Very few "stock" Wranglers leave the pavement. Just check out the signatures of some of the posts on this thread. You can off road a Prius with enough modification. If Jeep goes to IFS on Wrangler in 2016, 2018, 2020....or whenever, or if ever....bottom line is it won't destroy the brand, and Wrangler will just keep evolving same as it has been since the original WWII model. Granted there are way more options and products available to modify solid axle Jeeps. But I'm confident that the after market companies will quickly fill that void.

Rockin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #32
SoK66
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 1,152
Disagree. Capability of any IFS or fully independent will be far less than the current rig, no matter how many electronic gizmos they use to try and compensate (see Land Rover). A similar gripe arose in '95 when the rumor surfaced that the YJ replacement would ride on coils. What quickly became apparent was that the new rig was far MORE capable than what it replaced in virtually every way. This will not be the case with an IFS / fully independent rig. You'll just have a Fiat-based poser on your hands.

Fiat fools with the basic Jeep utility platform at their own peril. The 2014 Fiat Cherokee proves at this point they could care less.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #33
rebelbowtie
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66
Disagree. Capability of any IFS or fully independent will be far less than the current rig, no matter how many electronic gizmos they use to try and compensate (see Land Rover). A similar gripe arose in '95 when the rumor surfaced that the YJ replacement would ride on coils. What quickly became apparent was that the new rig was far MORE capable than what it replaced in virtually every way. This will not be the case with an IFS / fully independent rig. You'll just have a Fiat-based poser on your hands.

Fiat fools with the basic Jeep utility platform at their own peril. The 2014 Fiat Cherokee proves at this point they could care less.
The Cherokee has been IFS since 2002, don't blame Fiat for the KL.
__________________
He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #34
Tjinsaanich
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
Don't say that too often on here or in the TJ or YJ section. There are some on here that will bash the snot out of you for saying something like that and tell you that you know nothing as evidenced by your low post count. (Foolish, I know, but some here think knowledge is somehow directly related to post count)

Nice TJ.

Back on topic, hopefully they will stick with the solid axles. We'll see.

I don't personally care if someone or everyone disagree with my statement As I said It was my own opinion based on what I observed off-road. but to clarify the statement ... I mentioned that they were the best stock... Jeeps. Of course after many mods with some Jeeps having not much of the original parts left in them can perform way better off-road but so as other brand of vehicles... But I saw first hand (and I'm sure many of you as well) what stock JK, TJ, YJ, CJ, Willies, XJ 's can do off-road with similar equipment (i.e. No lockers or LSD) and I stand by my statement that's all.
Thanks for the comment Nice TJ. I love my Jeep she's no pavement princess and is not the most modified with just a little lift and small tires by most standards but it get me where I wanna go and back with very little difficulty and always amazes me every time I'm out there.
__________________
2001 TJ sport with 4.0L 5 speed transmission, rear "PosiTrack", front Lokka (Aussie) locker, Zone Off-Road axle tube seals, 2" Jeep "Rubicon" coils & Zone off-Road 2" shocks, 1" body lift, 31" Federal Couragia MT tires.
Tjinsaanich is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #35
XJ2Timer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin1 View Post
Most off road Wranglers are heavily modified anyway. Very few "stock" Wranglers leave the pavement. Just check out the signatures of some of the posts on this thread. You can off road a Prius with enough modification. If Jeep goes to IFS on Wrangler in 2016, 2018, 2020....or whenever, or if ever....bottom line is it won't destroy the brand, and Wrangler will just keep evolving same as it has been since the original WWII model. Granted there are way more options and products available to modify solid axle Jeeps. But I'm confident that the after market companies will quickly fill that void.
Big can of worms here.
It all depends on how Jeep designs and builds it. Any aftermarket upgrades for an independent suspension will be costly.
As for aftermarket solid axle conversions they could design it where it is extremely difficult and very costly to do that.
__________________
1st one- 1989 Cherokee Laredo. 12 great years
2nd one- 2001 Cherokee Limited. Got it before they were gone.
XJ2Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #36
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
Big can of worms here.
It all depends on how Jeep designs and builds it. Any aftermarket upgrades for an independent suspension will be costly.
As for aftermarket solid axle conversions they could design it where it is extremely difficult and very costly to do that.
Having owned a Pathfinder, aftermarket upgrades for the independent suspension were not costly for that application, which didn't even have the economies of scale a Jeep's aftermarket demand would generate. Lifting an independent suspension to any reasonable extent is not expensive or difficult. Lifting an independent suspension to great heights is expensive, but then so is lifting a solid axle vehicle to such heights.

I think more people should try IFS before they start whinging about it.
__________________
1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #37
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru
 
UltimatE's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Worcester, Mass
Posts: 7,036
__________________
-Matt

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #38
krawler510
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 1,822
That looks like it would last a few minutes in the rocks.
__________________
'The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.'
krawler510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #39
SoK66
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 1,152
Duplicate deleted
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #40
SoK66
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie
The Cherokee has been IFS since 2002, don't blame Fiat for the KL.
Well now, that soccer-mom-mobile wasn't called "Cherokee", now was it? And it wasn't for a simple reason, they knew it wouldn't be accepted. This current management team is about to learn a bitter lesson they could have avoided.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #41
krawler510
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66
Well now, that soccer-mom-mobile wasn't called "Cherokee", now was it? And it wasn't for a simple reason, they knew it wouldn't be accepted. This current management team is about to learn a bitter lesson they could have avoided.
This thing will probably sell like crazy to the Escape/CRV crowd.
__________________
'The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.'
krawler510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #42
rebelbowtie
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66

Well now, that soccer-mom-mobile wasn't called "Cherokee", now was it? And it wasn't for a simple reason, they knew it wouldn't be accepted. This current management team is about to learn a bitter lesson they could have avoided.
Actually it was called the Cherokee, your ignorance is showing....
__________________
He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #43
dmill89
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Actually it was called the Cherokee, your ignorance is showing....
Are you referring to the Grand Cherokee, that had solid axles until '04. Or are you referring to the KJ/KK which were called the Liberty in North America and called the Cherokee overseas.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #44
rebelbowtie
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89

Are you referring to the Grand Cherokee, that had solid axles until '04. Or are you referring to the KJ/KK which were called the Liberty in North America and called the Cherokee overseas.
The KJ/KK was called the Cherokee in all markets outside of North America.
__________________
He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #45
SoK66
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie
The KJ/KK was called the Cherokee in all markets outside of North America.
We're talking North America here, and if the SOB fails here it wont matter what they call it in Uruguay.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.