2016 wrangler may lose solid axles - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > 2016 wrangler may lose solid axles

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #16
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjinsaanich View Post
IMHO and this is my own opinion.. the stock JK is the most capable off road closely followed by TJ]

Don't say that too often on here or in the TJ or YJ section. There are some on here that will bash the snot out of you for saying something like that and tell you that you know nothing as evidenced by your low post count. (Foolish, I know, but some here think knowledge is somehow directly related to post count)

Nice TJ.

Back on topic, hopefully they will stick with the solid axles. We'll see.

Unread 11-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok
With the tightening CAFE requirements, they may indeed speed up changes in production, instead of waiting past 2018. Fiat failed in the US market before, and I am not holding my breath as to whether they fubar the Chrysler brands or not. So far, with the killing of the Liberty, and making a Jeep Cherokee off one of their platforms, an IFS/IRS Grand Cherokee, it isn't unbelievable that they would try to alter the Wrangler, banking on the idea they can slap another $5k to the price, and yuppies will run out to buy them to look cool. The dumbest thing ever done, was letting Chrysler be sold to a foreign company. Fiat will fubar again.
They didn't kill the Liberty it is a North America only name! When will people realize that? What they did was smart and named the KL the Cherokee because that's what it is in every other market! Let me ask you if you think Fiat has ruined Ferrari or Maserati? Because they have been under their auto group umbrella since the 90's.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

Fiat has NO experince with the 4x4 specialty market and no real North American experince sicne the 80s, and that was abysmal.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Fiat has NO experience with the 4x4 specialty market and no real North American experience since the 80s, and that was abysmal.
Sergio has miscalculated the North American market twice so far. First with the Fiat 500 and second with the Dodge Dart. It remains to be seen if the new Cherokee is strike three.

Sadly, the sheer number of wannabees who will never even consider using a Jeep as Jeeps are meant to be used might flock to the KL since the front wheel drive one is all they are looking for.

For me, even if all I wanted was a base front wheel drive I still find the styling butt ugly.
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Oilburner

LOL you guys are apparently under the impression that we are Jeep's target demographic People that actually use their Wrangler might be what, 5% of sales?

IF Jeep approached their core buyer group now (admit it, Soccer Moms) and asked them what the ONE thing they could do to improve the Wrangler, they would unanimously say 'make it ride better'.

If Jeep went IFS, it's not like there is a compeditor you could migrate to...
Oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #21
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilburner View Post
If Jeep went IFS, it's not like there is a compeditor you could migrate to...
Too bad we don't get Series 70 Land Cruisers and Land-Rover Defenders in the US.

Of course while there may not be a solid-axle competitor currently sold in the US (except heavy-duty pickups and the $100k+ Mercedes G-Wagon) not having solid-axles would remove one of the reasons to buy a Wrangler over a 4-Runner or Xtera.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #22
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I wish they imported the 105 series Landcruiser, it was a regular 100 series but came with a factory SFA
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #23
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Too bad we don't get Series 70 Land Cruisers and Land-Rover Defenders in the US.

Of course while there may not be a solid-axle competitor currently sold in the US (except heavy-duty pickups and the $100k+ Mercedes G-Wagon) not having solid-axles would remove one of the reasons to buy a Wrangler over a 4-Runner or Xtera.
Of course the main reasons still being cost. 4Runners and Xterras are more expensive than Wranglers.

But like Oilburner said, we're not the target demo here. We're a niche market segment. Not enough to justify costs.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC

Of course the main reasons still being cost. 4Runners and Xterras are more expensive than Wranglers.

But like Oilburner said, we're not the target demo here. We're a niche market segment. Not enough to justify costs.
4Runner starts at $30,000 and is built solely in Japan and shipped over seas and has more standard features. I think they're comparable since a JKU starts at $26,000 and doesn't have import fees tacked onto it.

I own a 4Runner and the only reason to buy a Jeep over one is solid axle and I guess convertible but let's be honest how many JKU's you see driving with the top down or doors off every day?
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's going to be tempting for them to do the IFS for one model year and see how it sells. It would be possible to revert for the next model year such that you'd have both on the lot for most of the year. But I think the more likely approach is something like the Stitch with more angle and curves and less body durability, plus a diesel option. Many more people want the beam axle than care about folding the windshield down, skid plates, corner durability, etc. Jeep knows that the hard core guys will be changing the skid plates and adding armor regardless, so why bother having the soccer moms and flatlanders carry that weight ... plus if it dents easier, Jeep's dealers get to fix it on the insurance company's tab. Win win for the brand.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
Rockin1
2006 XK Commander 

I kind of think it is funny. Commanders are dumped on for having an IFS. Yet they are quite capable off road.
Rockin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin1 View Post
I kind of think it is funny. Commanders are dumped on for having an IFS. Yet they are quite capable off road.
Commanders, KJs, KKs, WKs, WK2s, Pathfinders, 4Runners, Xterras, Land Rovers of various new-model sort.

Having owned both, the road manners of IFS are certainly more predictable, and what let me down in my Pathfinder was not the IFS, but a locking hub breaking on the trail. They just require different techniques. If anything, I'd say for all but the most extreme terrain (the kind of stuff you'll need to dump thousands into your suspension for anyway) IFS and SFA are equal. If anything, IFS just requires a bit more brain work than SFA, and the ability to trust your spotter.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #28
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

They are far from equal in factory form. Benefit is way to solid for off road. Ifs is clearly far better on.
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #29
mikeumkc
2009 JK Wrangler 

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1401...l-power-4word/

The first paragraph. "As you've already heard, Jeep issued a stay of execution for the current Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited. The straight axle Jeep will live until 2018 with some refreshing, including a diesel option."

Is that official? Is the JK for sure around until 2018? I cannot find any article confirming this, yet this guys says it like its fact.
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #30
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

my guess is the JK will be 2007-2017 with a new wrangler JK2 2018
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.