2016 wrangler may lose solid axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > 2016 wrangler may lose solid axles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Ender42
1999 WJ 

2016 wrangler may lose solid axles

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...lid-axles.html

[B][SIZE="4"]76 CJ7[/SIZE][/B], 4.2l I-6, 2 inch body lift

[B]Greater love has no man than this, than he who lay down his life for his friends.[/B]
Ender42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hope they offer the wrangler pick up before that

Not likely though

Black Jeep Club v1.0 and v2.0 #1776
DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
grymsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Ender42
1999 WJ 

They may end up killing the brand

[B]Greater love has no man than this, than he who lay down his life for his friends.[/B]
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

At least the off roading part

DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't really see them killing the brand or even switching to IFS any time soon and if they do will move the Wrangler up market and turn it into a luxobarge. Same as Range Rover, Land Cruiser, Gwagen etc...
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Ender42
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
I don't really see them killing the brand or even switching to IFS any time soon and if they do will move the Wrangler up market and turn it into a luxobarge. Same as Range Rover, Land Cruiser, Gwagen etc...
That does make sense. They've already got their luxury SUV with the grand.

Unread 10-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender42 View Post
That does make sense. They've already got their luxury SUV with the grand.
Not to mention that if they were going that direction they wouldn't be remotely concerned with fuel economy. Virtually every "Up-market Luxury-SUV" fails to meet CAFE standards and their owners have no problem paying the "Gas-Guzzler" tax.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Tjinsaanich
2001 TJ Wrangler 

IMHO and this is my own opinion... The JK is the last Real Jeep in the Brand and I'm saying this with some reserve. I'm not saying that the Grand and other models can't be good to go off-road but from going out there with stock JK, TJ, YJ, CJ & M series the stock JK is the most capable off road closely followed by the TJ. Both benefit from better articulation and in the case of the JK better clearance as well. But the JK is also the most fragile when it comes to body and accessories damage and it's wider span and wheelbase (especially the 4 doors) don't help it on tight trails which we encounter a lot around where I wheel. I personally prefer my TJ because it has great manoeuvrability teamed up with better body endurance (Less Plastic parts to it) because I can fix metal dents... My favourite Jeep would be my flat fenders lightly modified TJ with a carburated no frills CJ engine and spartan interior. My choice comes from the fact that I do wheel my Jeep 2/3 weekends a month but I all have to live with it as my daily and I have a limited budget & skills to modify or repair the Jeep. Will They kill the brand ? I don't know for sure and I know there's gonna be some folks that want flashy Hummer style machines that will buy anything to look good at the mall. But we Jeepters might just hold on to our beloved machines forever...
I Know I Will !
latest-tj.jpg

2001 TJ sport with 4.0L 5 speed transmission, rear "PosiTrack", front Lokka (Aussie) locker, Zone Off-Road axle tube seals, 2" Jeep "Rubicon" coils & Zone off-Road 2" shocks, 1" body lift, 31" Federal Couragia MT tires.
Tjinsaanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
jopolly3

2013 JK Wrangler 

With how much time goes into designing a new vehicle I have to believe if Jeep is mentioning it could be a possibility for 2016 then the deed has already been done. We are 60 days out from 2014 they are not going to throw together a suspension system for their hottest product hastily. It is crazy to say this is for fuel economy; you are talking about a vehicle that currently gets subpar mileage that has sold a million copies to customers that largely modify them further reducing that mileage. This is all picking up where the JKU left off, creating a Wrangler that creates no compromises for the average potential SUV customer. I have faith Jeep will make a product that is very respectable offroad but they are removing arguably the most defining characteristic of an iconic vehicle to conform. Do I think sales will dip as a result? No, probably not. Do I think Jeep will lose a significant part of their identity and upset a large percentage of their loyalists? Most definitely, but it was bound to happen sooner or later...

2013 JKU Rubicon 6spd: ARB Dana 44 covers F&R, Expedition One front bumper & swaybar skid, Hella driving lamps, JKS adjustable track bars F&R, MBRP SS off-road exhaust, OME HD springs and shocks, OME relocated SS, Rock Hard 4x4 gas tank skid, Rock Hard 4x4 oil pan skid, Rock Hard 4x4 rock sliders, Rock Hard 4x4 transfer case skid, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Superwinch LP8500 Gen 1

2002 Subaru WRX: Cobb intake, Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Kartboy short throw shifter and bushings

1960 CJ-6: Never ending project rig

Build Threads:

JKUR - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...hread-1522982/

CJ6 - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/jo...hread-1347975/

WJ - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...auren-1033184/

"BFG makes some good rubbers, if they sold condoms I'd buy them" -Owen Horner
jopolly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

According to an allpar article I read Chrysler/Jeep had an IFS design ready for production in 93 and the TJ was supposed to be IFS but they decided against it at the last minute because the cost was too high and they feared consumers wouldn't buy it because it'd cost thousands more to lift than a solid axle at the time.
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie
According to an allpar article I read Chrysler/Jeep had an IFS design ready for production in 93 and the TJ was supposed to be IFS but they decided against it at the last minute because the cost was too high and they feared consumers wouldn't buy it because it'd cost thousands more to lift than a solid axle at the time.
Like they really care how much it costs to the moding consumer

DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It sells too well as is. What is IFS going to net? 0.1mpg?

I can't see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grymsr

Like they really care how much it costs to the moding consumer
The article was very convincing

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/lil-blue.html

Quote:
Bob Sheaves wrote that the estimated production cost for the components alone was about $210 per vehicle more than the YJ Hotchkiss suspension, based on a production build quantity of 50,000 vehicles per year for five years. The retail cost for the 1997 Wrangler would have been around $1,000 over and above the normal retail price — which started at $12,000. At the time, that cost penalty was hard to overcome; today, it would likely be lower.

Mr. Sheaves wrote, “In those days, a four-inch lift kit would cost around $350 (installed) to fit the same size tires. The suspension we designed was modular and could have been sold by Mopar Performance at the time. Evan and I even talked to Shep and Jerry, and did a cost projection for them — $5,000 [in 1996 dollars] for the kit. It was deemed too expensive for Mopar Performance; they believed it would not sell.”
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

they won't go to IFS! they will cut weight and tilt the windshield back
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

With the tightening CAFE requirements, they may indeed speed up changes in production, instead of waiting past 2018. Fiat failed in the US market before, and I am not holding my breath as to whether they fubar the Chrysler brands or not. So far, with the killing of the Liberty, and making a Jeep Cherokee off one of their platforms, an IFS/IRS Grand Cherokee, it isn't unbelievable that they would try to alter the Wrangler, banking on the idea they can slap another $5k to the price, and yuppies will run out to buy them to look cool. The dumbest thing ever done, was letting Chrysler be sold to a foreign company. Fiat will fubar again.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.