2014 Wrangler Info??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > 2014 Wrangler Info???

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #31
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPSRK View Post
Ya is it true that a diesel WJ is coming out? If so then we might have a diesel Wrangler soon. I've heard rumors but they're usually false. Oh also what is ROFL?
WK2. The WJ died in 2004. Rolling On Floor Laughing.

Plant expansion has to be completed before any major changes to the Wrangler.

Unread 12-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #32
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The WK2 is indeed receiving the VM Motori 3-liter diesel at the end of next year, for the 2014 model year. This is significant because currently, the WK2 and JK share the same 3.6l engine and 5-speed automatic transmission, so the jump to a diesel Wrangler probably would not require significant development for packaging constraints.

I still don't expect anything significant for the Wrangler until the 2016 model year, though. Toledo plant is at capacity, which means sales are good and there's no time to retool the line for a new vehicle.

Those tow hooks aren't there for me. They're there for the XJs.
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #33
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
The WK2 is indeed receiving the VM Motori 3-liter diesel at the end of next year, for the 2014 model year. This is significant because currently, the WK2 and JK share the same 3.6l engine and 5-speed automatic transmission, so the jump to a diesel Wrangler probably would not require significant development for packaging constraints.

I still don't expect anything significant for the Wrangler until the 2016 model year, though. Toledo plant is at capacity, which means sales are good and there's no time to retool the line for a new vehicle.
Diesel wrangler already exists, it's all been done. We had one and loved it. Only sold it to get into a new 3.0 diesel GC. My guess is they have the same bell housing bolt-up pattern as the current 2.8 4cylinder as our JK.

Quote from a friend:
"How many jeeps do you actually want?
That however was a silly question because we already know the answer is all of them!"
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #34
h20squirter
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post

Diesel wrangler already exists, it's all been done. We had one and loved it. Only sold it to get into a new 3.0 diesel GC. My guess is they have the same bell housing bolt-up pattern as the current 2.8 4cylinder as our JK.
It exists outside of North America as a production vehicle. Inside of NA you can't go to the dealer and buy one. Sure you can convert one for $20k on top of your Wrangler.
Unread 12-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #35
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post
You're literally on the other end of the world. We can't get diesel anything here. I don't follow the Euro or Aus spec Jeeps at all. All I can tell you is it's RHD in Australia. We don't get diesels in these parts.

Unread 12-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #36
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Sorry folks I misread a quote which said would NOT require major reworks, I read it as WOULD require .... Exactly my point, it's all been done, for crying out loud American car manufacturers, let these guys have diesels, there'll be no looking back. Then you'll really see these new "Jeeps" flying out the door.
The really frustrating part for you guys is you must see ships and trucks leaving the US LOADED with diesels Wranglers, GCs and wotnot but you can't have them?!

Quote from a friend:
"How many jeeps do you actually want?
That however was a silly question because we already know the answer is all of them!"
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #37
EugeneTheTJ
You want some respect?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wranglers change every 9 years. It'll be '17 before you can buy the next one
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #38
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
Wranglers change every 9 years. It'll be '17 before you can buy the next one
I've got a feeling it'll be '16 model year. Just something in my gut says that's when it'll be. (By the by, 9 years on top of 2007 happens to be 2016; YJ went fom 87-95 which is 8 years. Wrangler changes on a rough schedule. If you want clockwork refreshes, look at the Grand Cherokee. Always 5 years. 93-98, 99-04, 05-09, 10+)

Gazzo, Wranglers are already flying. Toledo's main plant is at capacity, working 20 of 24 hours a day, every day, producing Wranglers.

Unread 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #39
EugeneTheTJ
You want some respect?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I've got a feeling it'll be '16 model year. Just something in my gut says that's when it'll be. (By the by, 9 years on top of 2007 happens to be 2016; YJ went fom 87-95 which is 8 years. Wrangler changes on a rough schedule. If you want clockwork refreshes, look at the Grand Cherokee. Always 5 years. 93-98, 99-04, 05-09, 10+)

Gazzo, Wranglers are already flying. Toledo's main plant is at capacity, working 20 of 24 hours a day, every day, producing Wranglers.
YJs went 87-95

There was no 96 because the TJ was a very different animal.

TJ went 97-06

JK goes 07-__

It isn't a rough schedule, it is logic. And I know GCs are every 5 years. FWIW, the WK was 05-10. Not 09
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #40
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Automakers plan model refreshes on a schedule. That's why you can always count on a Wrangler to last 8 or 9 years, a Grand Cherokee to last 5, a Mustang to last about 10 years, and a Chev to last 9 or so. The schedule is usually rough and varies by a year or two, but different cars are on different refresh schedules.

In Jeep's case, it looks like they'll have a big year in 2014 (Liberty and Patriot come up for refresh, Grand Cherokee receives a diesel, Grand Wagoneer possibly begins sales) and in 2016 (Grand Cherokee and Wrangler up for refresh, most likely year for Grand Wagoneer to come on the market). My money is on 2016 as the year to see for Jeep. I predict a new Grand Cherokee, a new Wrangler, the Grand Wagoneer, and mid-cycle facelifts for the rest of the lineup.

Unread 12-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #41
ArcherAce
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Look for the diesel in 2015 is what i was told by the engineers.

As has been said, the plant is running 20 hours a day, 6 days a week. Jeep knows we all want a domestic diesel. But, the gas version is selling like crazy, and everyone is tied up with the new liberty. (which incidentally looks sweet).

They'll get to it eventually.
OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Aerodynamics are overrated
ArcherAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #42
GoHack
2013 JK Wrangler 

Isn't there an issue w/California's environmental laws allowing Diesels, even though they are a lot more cleaner than they use to be?

There was some mention here of having an All-Wheel-Drive Jeep here. That's something people wouldn't want, unless you don't mind the fuel bill. I use to own an H3, which was All-Wheel-Drive, had an I5 engine, w/a rare manual transmission, which got at best, 16 mpg in the winter, w/the crappy winter grade of fuel, and 18 in the summer, w/the 10% Plus ethanol based summer grade. Reducing driving speeds didn't do much to make things better either. I loved that rig, but when fuel went over $4 gallon, it had to go.

'13 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 3.6L V6 Engine, 6 Spd M/T, Billet Silver Metallic, Black Hardtop, Black Cloth Interior, Towing Package, Rubicon Unlimited 10th Anniversity Springs, Jeep Black Rubber Floor Mats, Black Molded Tube Side Steps, Warn M8000 Winch w/Warn Stock Bumper Mount
GoHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #43
metomwhou
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I never put much thought into it when I was in Germany a few years ago but what is the reason you can't bring over a Euro spec diesel Wrangler? Used to be, Euro spec vehicles needed third brake lights, safety glass, different headlights, etc but nowadays their all pretty much the same. Come to think of it what really prevents me going to Canada and buying a diesel Wrangler (or any vehicle that is currently availible there but not offered to the US market) and bringing it back here?\

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthevoices77 View Post
I tried that once. My wife got pissed! I now know not to post muff pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogduff View Post
This is the internet sweetie. Guys are guys, girls are guys, and girls that wanna meet up in real life are FBI agents.
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #44
h20squirter
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou View Post
I never put much thought into it when I was in Germany a few years ago but what is the reason you can't bring over a Euro spec diesel Wrangler? Used to be, Euro spec vehicles needed third brake lights, safety glass, different headlights, etc but nowadays their all pretty much the same. Come to think of it what really prevents me going to Canada and buying a diesel Wrangler (or any vehicle that is currently availible there but not offered to the US market) and bringing it back here?\

Tom
Its am emissions thing to make them here. Huge pain in the *** and very costly to import.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using JeepForum
Unread 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #45
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHack View Post

There was some mention here of having an All-Wheel-Drive Jeep here. That's something people wouldn't want, unless you don't mind the fuel bill.
I'd have to disagree only because I think you're referring to one of the "Quadra"-type full time systems. I'm sure you're familiar with Selec-Trac and its different approach to this, but for those who aren't:

Traditional Selec-Trac (Found in the XJ Cherokee and 93-04 Grand Cherokees) relies on user input to determine which system it should be in. The options are as follows:

2WD (Use year-round, unless conditions are wet, unsteady, etc)
-----
4WD HI (Part-time; both differentials forced to spin at same rate, will bind if not slippery enough)
-----
4WD HI (Full-time; Diffs not locked, Usable year round, even on dry pavement)
------
Neutral (For towing behind other vehicles, etc)
------
4WD LO (Part-time The strongest system for the stickiest of situations)

Traditional Command-Trac and other similar systems (like Rock-Trac) also rely on user input. However, you are NOT given a full-time / AWD option. It has everything Selec-Trac has except for that.

The various full time systems do not have this setup. They are always in four wheel drive full-time, unless you drop them down to 4wd LOW. These systems DO consume extra gas unnecessarily when conditions are optimal. In my opinion, these systems have NO place in a Wrangler! /purist

My point is this.. If the Wrangler had the option of a Selec-Trac 4wd system, I'd be SOLD without a second thought. But instead it has part-time ONLY systems, which are great for off-roading and deep snow, but are terrible in inclement weather, including heavy rain, light snow and patchy areas of ice.

So Jeep, if you're listening.. Lets go. Stuff a 242 into some of these new Wranglers! I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for this.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.