2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Just read this article. This sounds more like a "muscle vehicle" than a Jeep.

Quote:
The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is home to perhaps one of the most appropriate buttons we've encountered in the What Does This Button Do? series. Mysterious buttons are rarely spelled out as clearly as the Jeep SRT8's, or as fun to use.

By spelled out, we mean the whole word, "Launch," appears on the button to designate the 470-horsepower, all-wheel-drive Jeep SRT8's Launch Mode. There are no acronyms or guessing with this button. What the button does is also made clearer by the awesome depiction of a drag strip's starting-line lights, aka a "Christmas tree."

Jeep's launch control is standard on SRT8s for consistent, enhanced fast starts of the high-performance SUV. Launch Mode brings the engine, suspension, transmission and driveline together for fast launches from a standstill by revving the engine at a standstill and launching the 5,000-pound SUV like a rocket.

To activate, Jeep's instructions say the SUV must be stopped on a level surface before fully depressing the brake pedal - while in Drive - and then pressing the Launch button. While holding the brake, mash the accelerator pedal to the floor within a half-second and the engine will rev to a predetermined rpm. Once the engine speed is up, all the driver has to do is lift the brake and the SRT8 launches perfectly every time.

Cars.com reviewer Aaron Bragman tested the SRT8's Launch Mode at the vehicle's introduction:

"Jeep rates the SRT Grand Cherokee at 4.8 seconds from zero to 60 mph, but I discovered that this is a conservative figure: Using the SRT's onboard software and a special launch button, I was able to consistently rip off 4.5-second zero-to-60 times, and SRT engineers say that they've been able to achieve 60 mph in 4.2 seconds under perfect conditions."
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/what-doe...204659286.html

Jeep black tube step/side rails
Jeep molded splash guards
Jeep cargo area security cover
Jeep hitch receiver and wiring
Black Taillight guards
Window vents
Bug deflector
georgejeri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Awesome!
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds cool, but since it's an automatic (and not a dual-clutch) you're basically neutral-dropping the transmission, I can't imagine the transmission holding up very well if it is used even remotely often.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Sounds cool, but since it's an automatic (and not a dual-clutch) you're basically neutral-dropping the transmission, I can't imagine the transmission holding up very well if it is used even remotely often.
No, it is still in 1st gear, it is just brake torquing the transmission.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
No, it is still in 1st gear, it is just brake torquing the transmission.
Sitll not great (burns up the torque-converter) but not as bad as a neutral drop.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
loveracing1988

Quote:

Sitll not great (burns up the torque-converter) but not as bad as a neutral drop.
That is why there is a time limit in there, it more creates heat than anything. I'm sure you can only do it so many times in a certain time frame.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Megs_Revenge
2005 WK 

So, a coworker of mine purchased one of these that was a demo. Took it out one night with a friend of hers. She's in her 50s and I'm assuming friend was close to that age. She said her friend pressed this button and the damn thing took off! Scare the crap out of them!

Have to say though, the thing is purdy! I'm a bit jealous when it's parked next to mine in the parking lot.
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Silver"]Silver WK club #69[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Silver"]Oo|||||||oO[/COLOR][/FONT]
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Jenglish
1998 ZJ 

Nice... Want this.
Jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
joesharp

Roof

The dual-pane sunroof on the 2014 Jeep Cherokee is what I'm looking forward too. The interior looks fantastic, the exterior is nice, but you just can't top a dual-pane sunroof (no pun intended!).
joesharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Actually a launch control is not that hard on the transmission, much less than 'popping' a clutch. The engine comes up to peak torque, the torque converter is at max torque multiplication and everything releases. No real shock to the system. Since the computer is controlling it all (including monitoring fluid temperature and engine speed) risk to the drive line is limited.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.