JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Future Models & Prototype Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/)
-   -   2013 Wrangler Moab and Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/2013-wrangler-moab-grand-cherokee-trailhawk-1413416/)

Marauder_Pilot 09-04-2012 09:39 AM

2013 Wrangler Moab and Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
 
Jeep's releasing two new special editions for 2013, the Wrangler Moab and Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. A bit more than sticker packages, both offer an excellent options set for both on and off-road ability.

Wrangler Moab:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ngler-moab.jpg

The Moab is based on the Sahara, but with a selection from the Rubicon and Mopar parts bin. The Moab comes with:
-Gloss-black Rubicon rims
-Goodyear Silent Armour Tires
-Trac-Lock anti-spin diff, with optional rear E-locker
-AEV/Mopar front winch and rear bumpers (As seen in the COD3 edition)
-Warn 8000-pound winch
-Rubicon rock rails
-Mopar 'Power Dome' hood
-Tail Lamp Guards

It comes with 'Moab' badging on the hood and various interior accessories, and comes in Crush, Dozer, Rock Lobster, Gecko, Black and White.

Grand Cherokee Trailhawk:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...-trailhawk.jpg

The Trailhawk is probably the closest we'll get to a GC Rubicon. It adds a fairly solid collection of off-road accessories. The Trailhawk comes with:

-Goodyear Silent Armor tires
-Rock rail and under-body protection
-Rear electronic limited-slip differential (V-8)
-Quadra-Drive II (V-8)
-Quadra-Lift air suspension
-Selec-Terrain traction control system
-Rear light bar

It also comes with Trailhawk badging, stickers and some colour accents, and comes in White, Black, Grey, Steel and Deep Cherry Red.

No pricing yet.

Heliandrew 09-16-2012 05:30 PM

those are awesome!

moze 09-17-2012 09:28 AM

2013 Moab or Rubi
 
So... I don't own a Jeep and never have. I'm new. I've never done any wheeling of any kind. But I and my two boys love the outdoors. We backpack, camp, hike, mountain bike and so on. We live in NoCal within striking distance of Yosemite, Tahoe and the Rubicon trail.

A jeep seems like a great addition for us. I know we will use it - it will get dirty. But I don't know how far we will push it. We will likely never do any extreme crawling.

So, I've been looking Rubicon - but the new 2013 Moab looks pretty interesting. No front locker. No sway bar disconnect. My question to those of you that know and love these vehicles is: what's your opinion? 2013 Moab or Rubi?

Marauder_Pilot 09-17-2012 10:19 AM

The Moab is definitely the better choice for someone who wants a practical DD that can also go virtually anywhere off-road just as easily.

It's essentially a 'Rubicon Lite'.

That said, it depends on what the price comes out to. If it's cheaper than the Rubicon, go for it. While the Rubicon has a better front axle, front locker and swaybar disconnects, the axle is only really important if you plan on putting tires bigger than 35" on it, and a front locker and electric swaybar disconnects are readily available through the aftermarket.

And the Moab's bumpers are excellent. They're the same ones as on the second CoD version, designed and built by American Expeditionary Vehicles. AEV is, bar none, the best aftermarket builder for Jeep, mainly because their design team consists mainly of former Jeep engineers and they're the only company that works directly with Jeep to design their products (No offense to companies like Poison Spyder or Genright or other builders of epic Jeep products). They're worth about $3000 right there.

The Rubicon is the best factory off-roader currently made, and 90% of owners will never, ever take it to its full capacity. A Moab is an excellent middle ground for those who want something a bit more serious than the regular Sport or Sahara, or would do all those mods anyways, but don't need the full intensity of the Rubicon.

moze 09-17-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot
The Moab is definitely the better choice for someone who wants a practical DD that can also go virtually anywhere off-road just as easily.

It's essentially a 'Rubicon Lite'.

That said, it depends on what the price comes out to. If it's cheaper than the Rubicon, go for it. While the Rubicon has a better front axle, front locker and swaybar disconnects, the axle is only really important if you plan on putting tires bigger than 35" on it, and a front locker and electric swaybar disconnects are readily available through the aftermarket.

And the Moab's bumpers are excellent. They're the same ones as on the second CoD version, designed and built by American Expeditionary Vehicles. AEV is, bar none, the best aftermarket builder for Jeep, mainly because their design team consists mainly of former Jeep engineers and they're the only company that works directly with Jeep to design their products (No offense to companies like Poison Spyder or Genright or other builders of epic Jeep products). They're worth about $3000 right there.

The Rubicon is the best factory off-roader currently made, and 90% of owners will never, ever take it to its full capacity. A Moab is an excellent middle ground for those who want something a bit more serious than the regular Sport or Sahara, or would do all those mods anyways, but don't need the full intensity of the Rubicon.

Thanks for the input and quick reply. Yes, this *will* also be my daily driver - so that matters. I'm also curious about the price. They say it'll be on showrooms in October, so I would think pricing would be baked, but it still doesn't seem like it's final. Car & Driver says it should start around $33k.

Wonk 10-08-2012 06:40 PM

Don't forget about the Rubicon's 4:1 low range in the transfer case also. Depending on the wheeling you do, the lower range and the front locker can make a substantial difference. I too am curious about pricing though as the bumpers and hood (fairly simple installs for the average wrencher) pitted against the rock-trac and front locked 44 could make the decision interesting. I know for myself and my uses, I'd go with the Rubicon and add the rest.

UltimatE 10-08-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moze (Post 14178816)
Thanks for the input and quick reply. Yes, this *will* also be my daily driver - so that matters. I'm also curious about the price. They say it'll be on showrooms in October, so I would think pricing would be baked, but it still doesn't seem like it's final. Car & Driver says it should start around $33k.

Pricing is up on Jeep's website now. Wrangler Unlimited Moab starts at $36,495 where the Unlimited Rubicon starts at just $33,995.

Grand Cherokee Trailhawk starts at $41,995.

Marauder_Pilot 10-08-2012 09:38 PM

They're not on Build and Price, though. Moab is here, [http://www.jeep.com/en/2013/grand_ch...hite]Trailhawk here.[/url]

For reference, to equip a Rubicon like the Moab (Leather, nav, ect) would cost about $45,000, but that would also get you the front locked Dana 44, 4:1 crawl ratio and electronic swaybar disconnects, and require you to get the bumpers right from AEV (Which are slightly different, as they have fog lamp cutouts, water jugs and a winch plate stock, which they couldn't offer on an OEM crash-rated bumper)

It's still a decent deal, but nothing to write home about.

xj_noob 10-10-2012 10:23 AM

I hate the look that the new Jeeps are taking on. Especially the grand cherokee, its starting to look more and more like a car with each passing year. I wouldn't think of taking a Grand Cherokee Offroad just for the simple fact that its not built for offroading, its barely capable. They should take a crack at the original cherokee, revamp it a little. Either that or redo the commander, make it more offroad capable. Just my $.02

funkduck 10-10-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xj_noob (Post 14280645)
I hate the look that the new Jeeps are taking on. Especially the grand cherokee, its starting to look more and more like a car with each passing year. I wouldn't think of taking a Grand Cherokee Offroad just for the simple fact that its not built for offroading, its barely capable. They should take a crack at the original cherokee, revamp it a little. Either that or redo the commander, make it more offroad capable. Just my $.02

I'd take a '12 Trailhawk on about any trail, in the following order: Showroom>Tire store>Rubicon trail.

And then I'd get >25mpg on the way home.

Aerodynamic and modern are not the opposite of capable. The only reason I'd stop at the tire store is because P-rated tires are the opposite of durable.

Marauder_Pilot 10-10-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xj_noob (Post 14280645)
I hate the look that the new Jeeps are taking on. Especially the grand cherokee, its starting to look more and more like a car with each passing year. I wouldn't think of taking a Grand Cherokee Offroad just for the simple fact that its not built for offroading, its barely capable. They should take a crack at the original cherokee, revamp it a little. Either that or redo the commander, make it more offroad capable. Just my $.02

The WKII is better off-road than the WK/XK, and not much worse than the WJ or ZJ.

xj_noob 10-10-2012 10:47 AM

It just looks too much like a car.

jtackerman28 11-18-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xj_noob
It just looks too much like a car.

The statement about it not being capable is a complete assumption on your part and you have no idea how capable they are.

I have wheeled with a wk2 in am off-road park and it hung with with me and I have a zj with 31" and 3.5" lift.

The only thing they can't do is flex. But they have front and rear lockers so it isn't 100% nessary for most off-roading.

xj_noob 11-20-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtackerman28 (Post 14477219)
The statement about it not being capable is a complete assumption on your part and you have no idea how capable they are.

I have wheeled with a wk2 in am off-road park and it hung with with me and I have a zj with 31" and 3.5" lift.

The only thing they can't do is flex. But they have front and rear lockers so it isn't 100% nessary for most off-roading.

If I bought a Grand Cherokee, I would *never* wheel it. I'd be scared to ruin the thing. It's just too much of a car, sure you can take it offroad, but you can't really go through anything that a modified wrangler, xj, wj, or zj could go through. I think the only place I would personally take it offroad is on a dirt road or something, but thats just me. this is all my opinion, not trying to butt heads with any of you guys.

Marauder_Pilot 11-20-2012 10:31 PM

Well, yeah, nobody wants to wreck their brand new $40,000 car wheeling it, no matter what it is. You don't see a whole lot of factory-fresh Rubicons wheeling very hard either, and you didn't see a whole lot of new Grand Cherokees wheeling in '93.


The time now is 01:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.