2011 wrangler is susposed to have alot of new changes? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > 2011 wrangler is susposed to have alot of new changes?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #91
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangGullich View Post
God...when will people stop knocking the 3.8? It has 12 more hp that the 4.0 and 12 more lbft of torque...and it runs decent, it's reliable, and gets ok mileage. Granted it's motivating more weight around and thus not as fast but the engine seems to do the job just fine in both my JKs. K, I've gone off topics enough for the day
Jeep did what it could with what was available. The 4.0 inline 6 couldn't meet emissions anymore. Newer crash standards also make longer inline engines difficult to use. The bottom end of the 3.8 was beefed up the year before it appeared in the JK. For the JK oil capacity went from 5 to 6 quarts. The 3.8 push rod V6 makes its torque at a lower rpm than the 3.7 overhead cam V6 in the Liberty. The 4.0 V6 in the Nitro wouldn't be a good choice for low speed off roading either.

Just like us XJ owners complained when the 3.7 showed up in the KJ Liberty instead of the 4.0 in line 6.

The only way to honestly compare the engines would be to stuff a 3.7 in a Cherokee and a 4.0 in a Liberty and see how they do. Likewise you would have to stuff a 3.8 in a TJ and a 4.0 in a JK. The KJ Liberty weighs a lot more than an XJ just like a JK weighs lots more than a TJ.

While the numbers of the new 3.6 Pentastar V6 are good we still don't know how this fancy overhead cam engine is really going to perform off road until it shows up.

Unread 10-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #92
Painbow6
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Raise your hand if you want a diesel.

2004 LJ- 35's and stuff
1978 Land Rover Series III- Winston, you will be sorely missed.
Painbow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #93
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painbow6 View Post
I cant imagine why anyone would ever want a gasser Jeep.

When I can afford to I'm swapping in a VW 1.9l TDI into my TJ.

With a tune it makes as much HP as a 4.0l gasser and about a third more torque.

This is the same engine that gets more then 40 MPG in a VW Jetta. Granted, Jeeps weigh more and have a higher coefficient of friction, but throw this engine in a Jeep and you should be able to attain, at the very least, 30mpg.
Pallando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #94
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangGullich View Post
God...when will people stop knocking the 3.8? It has 12 more hp that the 4.0 and 12 more lbft of torque...and it runs decent, it's reliable, and gets ok mileage. Granted it's motivating more weight around and thus not as fast but the engine seems to do the job just fine in both my JKs. K, I've gone off topics enough for the day
I have driven both and the 4.0L I6 is better suited for offroading, but I was not trying to compare it. My problem with jeep is they have some better v6's they could have offered in it 1) 4.0L v-6 that was used in the nitro and pacifica which was about 265HP and 2) the new 3.6 v6 that is coming in the 2011 GC. I would like to see an engine that i can comfortably pull my bass boat or a covered trailer with.
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #95
aerojeeptj

Off the engine topic, I did hear about some Jeep "Easter Eggs" such as the black surrounding on the windshield (tint kinda stuff) for the 2011 will have a little Jeep climbing a rock in the lower corner and have the 7 slot grille logo in the area above the rear view mirror, if anyone can picture what I'm talking about lol. Another little feature is in the area in behind the rear seat where it has that compartment in the floor. There will have slots for all the hard top bolts to fit in. Each slot has a pic of the bolt above it so you know where to put them. I remember seeing this on a press video released on youtube
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #96
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painbow6 View Post
Ill see this diesel and Ill raise you a HEMI.

No matter how good of a v-6 you can put together, its still a v-6 which is an engine meant for minivans and family sedans. A diesel would be awesome for efficiency as well as slow speed crawling. But for someone who might use the Wrangler as a tow rig, a hot rod, a mudder, or just for general badassery Ma Mopar needs to offer an avalable 8 cyl under the hood paired to either a manual tranny or slushbox. If AEV can charge $20K for the conversion ON TOP of the price of the Jeep, then a factory option should be doable for the price of a Hemi upgrade on any other vehicle.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #97
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
The 4.0 inline 6 couldn't meet emissions anymore.
Not even slightly true. 4.0L was already a ULEV engine and could easily be made to pass emissions standards well into the future. Your second reason (crash regulations) and low volume were the death of the 4.0L.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #98
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
Not even slightly true. 4.0L was already a ULEV engine and could easily be made to pass emissions standards well into the future. Your second reason (crash regulations) and low volume were the death of the 4.0L.
I based what I said on info from this page at Allpar. The writer Bob Sheaves is an engineer that used to work for Chrysler.
Jeep 4.0 liter six cylinder engine

Quote:
The reasons the 4.0L went away was due mainly to age of the manufacturing tooling, which was worn out. The long stroke made it harder to clean up the emissions of NOx, and NIH ("Not Invented Here"), in my opinion, also reared its head.
Unread 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #99
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAsh74 View Post
Ill see this diesel and Ill raise you a HEMI.

No matter how good of a v-6 you can put together, its still a v-6 which is an engine meant for minivans and family sedans. A diesel would be awesome for efficiency as well as slow speed crawling. But for someone who might use the Wrangler as a tow rig, a hot rod, a mudder, or just for general badassery Ma Mopar needs to offer an avalable 8 cyl under the hood paired to either a manual tranny or slushbox. If AEV can charge $20K for the conversion ON TOP of the price of the Jeep, then a factory option should be doable for the price of a Hemi upgrade on any other vehicle.
I have always heard that they can not put a v-8 in a wrangler and still be able to pass crash tests.
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #100
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
I based what I said on info from this page at Allpar. The writer Bob Sheaves is an engineer that used to work for Chrysler.
Jeep 4.0 liter six cylinder engine
Yeah, I wish they would take that down or edit that because it's flat wrong. There's nothing about the inherent design of the 4.0L that would make it not pass emissions. The same improvements that are made to all engines (ignition upgrades, improvements to the injection system, software enhancements, improved sensors with wider operating range and greater accuracy, etc) could be made to the 4.0L as needed to continue to meet the standards. If you read Bob's bio, he last worked at Chrysler in 1992 and was mostly a suspension guy. Considering the 4.0L was made through 2006, I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #101
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.0L would ABSOLUTELY be capable of meeting the new regulations. Look what GM did with the trailblazers old 4.2L I-6. They added a crossflow head with overhead cam and I think 24 valves. From what I understand, the basic block of that engine is the old I-6 that dates back decades. The same treatment for the 4.0 would work miracles and it would be a great base engine.

Why wouldnt a V-8 Wrangler meet crash standards? This sounds like some coporate B.S. to sidestep the fact that theyre just knuckling under to some CAFE, CARB, or environmental garbage. The Dakota is a similarly sized vehicle and has a V-8, same as the Grand Cherokee and all the LX cars. I guarantee that the Wrangler is at least as sturdy as any of those and would do just fine with a V-8.

If there WERE a problem with a Wrangler's ability to pass a crash test, then its probably based on the convoluted logic that the Jeep would be unsafe for other cars to get into a wreck with therefore the Jeep is the problem. These dinky little econoboxes are totalled if anything bigger than a sparrow hits one.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.