2011 WL Jeep Grand Cherokee - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > 2011 WL Jeep Grand Cherokee

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #91
flyboy14295
2000 WJ 

That engine must be a mighty ***** to work on.

New York City EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
I came into this world via broken rubber, i'm not going out the same way.
flyboy14295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #92
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Freak View Post
That hasn't been confirmed or denied by any source yet. WKJeeps.com has it under the WK section, but even he isn't sure of the designation. Since it's a new platform, based on the Mercedes GL, it wouldn't make sense to call it a WK. WL was the designation by some Jeep insiders, so that was the name being passed around. We don't know what it's designation is yet.
I would be surprised if it isn't designated WK for the following reasons.

Quote:
Ralph Gilles said that the platform was co-developed with Mercedes (as opposed to being an adaption of the ML as Jim Press implied); the body structure is, indeed, stiffer than the Mercedes ML.
Quote:
New front and rear independent suspension systems deliver premium on-road handling and comfort. The basic platform continues, and is shared by the Mercedes ML.
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/2011-cherokee.html
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #93
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
I would be surprised if it isn't designated WK for the following reasons: New front and rear independent suspension systems deliver premium on-road handling and comfort. The basic platform continues, and is shared by the Mercedes ML.
I think you are reading into that sentence too much. Everything I've read states this is a NEW platform, developed with Mercedes, using elements from the ML & GL engineering. When Allpar said "The basic platform continues," they weren't referring to the current platform. You take it out of context, and yes, it would sound like that, but they are talking about this new platform and continue their thoughts. Never once do they mention the WK or make any comparisons to it. It is awkward phrasing, but they don't reference the current Grand, so the only qualifier for that statement is the prior information, which talks about this NEW PLATFORM. Other than that one sentence, taken out of context, what other evidence have you found, because EVERYTHING else I've read calls it a NEW or ALL-NEW platform. If you know of something else, please share it; I'm curious.

This platform is so different from the WK and will stand-alone in style and performance, so I would be very surprised if they wanted to give it the same designation.
!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!! '02 WJ Graphite Limited 4.7 with all options; IRO 5.5" coils; JKS U/L CAs; RK Adj. TB; MX-6; JKS Discos; JKS BPEs; Hard-KOR SS; KOR Endlinks; Rear Addco; IRO A-arm spacer; BS Ext.; Ext. SRs; 255/75-R17 BFG M/Ts; 17" Chrome Torque Wheels; SpiderTrax; Westin Safari Bar; KC 600 Series HiLites; Rock Rails; Smittybilt TL Guards; Smittybilt Blk Hitch Shackle w/Lock; H.O. Intake/Spectre Cone Filter. http://snipurl.com/7attr

Last edited by WJ Freak; 05-04-2009 at 02:07 AM..
WJ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 02:25 AM   #94
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

A few more...

Air Lifted:

Lean & mean...

!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!! '02 WJ Graphite Limited 4.7 with all options; IRO 5.5" coils; JKS U/L CAs; RK Adj. TB; MX-6; JKS Discos; JKS BPEs; Hard-KOR SS; KOR Endlinks; Rear Addco; IRO A-arm spacer; BS Ext.; Ext. SRs; 255/75-R17 BFG M/Ts; 17" Chrome Torque Wheels; SpiderTrax; Westin Safari Bar; KC 600 Series HiLites; Rock Rails; Smittybilt TL Guards; Smittybilt Blk Hitch Shackle w/Lock; H.O. Intake/Spectre Cone Filter. http://snipurl.com/7attr

Last edited by WJ Freak; 05-04-2009 at 02:55 AM..
Unread 05-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #95
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

Better views of the Willy's Grille in the headlights...

Unread 05-04-2009, 02:49 AM   #96
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

More from FinalGear.com

Last edited by WJ Freak; 05-19-2009 at 11:44 PM..
Unread 05-04-2009, 03:47 AM   #97
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

High res. press release photos...

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/d...16865&i=3#menu

Unread 05-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #98
yobusdis

wow. that is sick. rock on Jeep.
yobusdis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #99
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Freak View Post
I think you are reading into that sentence too much. Everything I've read states this is a NEW platform, developed with Mercedes, using elements from the ML & GL engineering. When Allpar said "The basic platform continues," they weren't referring to the current platform. You take it out of context, and yes, it would sound like that, but they are talking about this new platform and continue their thoughts. Never once do they mention the WK or make any comparisons to it. It is awkward phrasing, but they don't reference the current Grand, so the only qualifier for that statement is the prior information, which talks about this NEW PLATFORM. Other than that one sentence, taken out of context, what other evidence have you found, because EVERYTHING else I've read calls it a NEW or ALL-NEW platform. If you know of something else, please share it; I'm curious.

This platform is so different from the WK and will stand-alone in style and performance, so I would be very surprised if they wanted to give it the same designation.
What I find interesting is almost no one knows that the WK was used as the starting point for the Mercedes M class. So if some newer M class platform is where this newest Grand Cherokee comes from it basically started with Jeep to begin with.

Quote:
DaimlerChrysler completely redesigned the Jeep Grand Cherokee range for the 2005 model year, and the platform has become the basis for the new Mercedes-Benz M-Classó
http://reviews.cnet.com/suv/2006-jee...-31756954.html
Unread 05-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #100
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
What I find interesting is almost no one knows that the WK was used as the starting point for the Mercedes M class. So if some newer M class platform is where this newest Grand Cherokee comes from it basically started with Jeep to begin with.

http://reviews.cnet.com/suv/2006-jee...-31756954.html
Actually, a lot of us do know that, but that's still not evidence of the code designation for this new Grand. As you pointed out, Jeep engineers stated they didn't use the ML underpinnings, as first thought. Once again from Jeep: "THIS IS AN ALL-NEW PLATFORM."
Unread 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #101
Hakaida
2000 XJ Cherokee 

FYI... I work at the plant that is making the fuel tanks for this new Grand, and the vehicle is designated as a WD.
Hakaida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #102
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaida View Post
FYI... I work at the plant that is making the fuel tanks for this new Grand, and the vehicle is designated as a WD.
Very cool. Thanks for the info!

I wish you could change the names of threads...
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #103
arsonist_bob
2000 WJ 

sure its fairly decent looking. but i hate the way jeep has gone lately. straying away from their world famous offroad background. beginning with the removal of solid front axles on nearly every "jeep" except the wrangler and in some cases a full independent suspension. luxurious interiors, smooth rides, minivan motors...ill take the stiff bumpy ride in my jeep any day and you'll catch me with a dead hooker before i buy a jeep (aside from the tj and maybe a jk with a 5.7) built after 04
265/75/r16 Firestone Destination MTs 16x7 cragar soft 8's
IRO 4" LA
front windows 35%, Alpine idaX100 deck, polk audios all around
arsonist_bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #104
patrick02wj
2002 WJ 

Ugh. That's a jeep I wouldn't get upset if I wrecked...ugly!
Unread 05-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #105
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick02wj View Post
Ugh. That's a jeep I wouldn't get upset if I wrecked...ugly!
I'm not quite understanding fellow WJ owners who think this new Grand is ugly. It's like a sleeked-out, modernized version of our Jeep. Puzzling...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.