2011 Grand Cherokee - AGM Battery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > 2011 Grand Cherokee - AGM Battery

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Colt737
2004 WJ 

2011 Grand Cherokee - AGM Battery

Why did Jeep decide to put the battery under the passenger seat, where the only way to get to it is to remove the passenger seat? Also I read AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries cannot be charged in the traditional way (it takes a few hours to charge it). Are these AGM batteries dependable in a Jeep?

Colt737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
ISUzj
2005 WK 

I think that if it were me... i would swap out the battery ASAP so I can use a normal one..
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
XJ2Timer

It comes down to packaging. The front of vehicles are smaller for aerodynamics which makes it harder to put everything under the hood. Moving the battery also moves a heavy object from the front. It might also reduce vibration to the battery since it is closer to the center of the vehicle. And the battery is away from the engine heat which can kill a battery.
At least you don't have to take off a wheel and inner fender liner to replace the battery like on lots of cars. On the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger the battery is in the trunk. And I think some Buick's have the battery underneath the rear seat.
Optima batteries are AGM and can be charged at 13.8 volts so I don't know why Jeep's AGM battery needs to be charged at 12.65 volts. Not being able to use a regular charger is stupid.
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Jbostick
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I know on the M-Class suv there is a jumper box in the engine compartment that you can use to jump start the car or charge the battery, There battery was under the passenger seat also.
Jbostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Sarge_
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The battery ought to be in the rear, behind the passenger side wheel well. Better weight distribution, and room for a nice 1150 CCA AGM battery or two.

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Sarge_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
Colt737
2004 WJ 

Update

UPDATE: I recently read that the AGM battery under the passenger seat has an access panel which you can open by adjusting the passenger seat all the way foward, exposing the negative terminal (and assuming positive as well). Also read that the battery will have pos & neg charging posts under the hood, so you can still charge it the normal way.
Unread 09-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
rockrunner
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ive replaced 2, one in a laredo with non power seat and one in a hemi limited with power seats, the batterys arnt bad to take in and out once the seat is all the way slid forward and leaned forward. and yes there are jump starting posts under the hood
2005 Black LJ 4.0/ Rough Country 4" X-series/35" BFG KM2s/Flat Fendered/Cragar 342 15X8/Herculined/Rusty’s Engine Skid/Edge Trail Jammer/Banks Monster Exhaust/Crown SS Brake lines/JKS Quicker Disco’s/BestTop Bikini Top/LoD Xtreme Duty Bumper w/TC/PSC Rocker Knockers/Riddler Diff Covers
Dana 30/44 4.88's and Detroits F&R Chrome won't get you home
2003 Patriot Blue KJ/ 235/70R16 BFG A/T's/Boiler 3/8in Strut Spacers/K&N DropIn/FM 50
rockrunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.