2.8L diesel vs Hemi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > 2.8L diesel vs Hemi

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

View Poll Results: Which is better for dd/tow/work?
2.8L Diesel 33 80.49%
Hemi V8 8 19.51%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

2.8L diesel vs Hemi

Sup yall? if the new Nukizer is coming out it should have the 2 engine options. I tried to find out more about the engines and found jack nothing. the main question is which would perform better as a daily driver and work/tow rig? Gas is NOT an issue, please dont include that in this thread

extra question, would the 6 speed be available with BOTH engines?

thanks in advance!

'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
impilcature

My daily driver is a diesel and it is the first one I have ever owned. I love it. I don't have a radio in mine and the sound of the engine is very soothing. Now that I have a diesel I don't plan on going back to a gas burner.

There are a few things to consider for gas V diesel. I have a LOT of low end torque in my Jeep but the gearing is such that I do not have a lot of top end (no O/D YET!) I would say drive a diesel and a gas before you buy that way you are more familiar with both of them.
impilcature is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

ah okay, well i concerned about these 2 specific engines. not something in an import
ive driven many diesels and gas in the Mopar fleet, but never towed w/ them. and since theyre new I know theyre gonna have problems (blame Chrysler)

im hoping the diesel would perform just as well as the Hemi if not better. wouldnt make sense selling a diesel in a truck that doesnt have as much power ad the gas rival, usually the diesels are top of the line in truck options.
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
impilcature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Knipp View Post
ah okay, well i concerned about these 2 specific engines. not something in an import
Very well...

Falling back in.
impilcature is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Knipp View Post
The 2.8 VM diesel will never be used again in the United States. Some Fiat diesel might be used in the future. And the Hemi name isn't used anymore when that engine is used by Jeep.
Unread 02-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
GMconvert

I've had the VM 2.8L diesel, it ran well and got 26 mpg in a 4500lb 4x4 Liberty. I'd still own that Liberty if it had a manual trans (which wasn't available). I think a diesel option is a must.
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
slow2run
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
The 2.8 VM diesel will never be used again in the United States. Some Fiat diesel might be used in the future. And the Hemi name isn't used anymore when that engine is used by Jeep.
Fiat just perches 50% of VM diesel, if a version of this diesel engine is certified for the states, then it should be in the JK soon.
slow2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

IDK about a 2.8L, but I could see the 3.0L used in the European GC being a possibility. Now that would be really nice.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.