zj steering swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > zj steering swap

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
yamazinger
1993 XJ Cherokee 

zj steering swap

been looking into doing a junkyard upgrade to the zj tierod and draglink. i barely do any offroading anymore due to there being nowhere to go that's close so this setup wont be worked too hard. This is a direct bolt in correct? also i have a 5in lift and just put on an adj track bar. Ive heard about getting zj pitman arms to drop the steering down so its parallel. Is this necessary with the adj track bar or that is something you could do if you didnt have an adj track bar?

yamazinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You only need the V8 ZJ tie rod. The drag links are the same between ZJs and XJs. You should get a drop pitman arm if the frame side of the track bar has been lowered. The drag link and track bar should be as parallel as possible. Post a pic of the front suspension/steering and we'll probably be able to tell you if you need a drop pitman arm or not.

Last edited by Mwildmann; 05-15-2013 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: correct a typo
Mwildmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Basically the drag link and the trac bar need to be at roughly the same angle, or you will get bump steer.

X2 on posting pics

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
yamazinger
1993 XJ Cherokee 

thanks -that answered everything i needed to know. also i was just thinking, the straight bar that attaches from tierod to the draglink, would it be worth rigging up a stronger setup as in just some beefier round tubing and tap the ends for the tie rods and use a nut to secure the tie rods? or is it better not to mess with the steering components?
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazinger View Post
thanks -that answered everything i needed to know. also i was just thinking, the straight bar that attaches from tierod to the draglink, would it be worth rigging up a stronger setup as in just some beefier round tubing and tap the ends for the tie rods and use a nut to secure the tie rods? or is it better not to mess with the steering components
Which component are you asking about? Steering components consist of a drag link and a tie rod with rod ends at the junctions. The drag link goes from the steering box and connects to the tie rod near the passenger side knuckle. The tie rod runs between the knuckles. You originally asked about the V8 ZJ upgrade, and what that gets you is a real beefy tie rod. What "straight bar that attaches from the tierod to the draglink"?
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

In confused there as well.

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
DriverX
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The straight bar he is referring to is the tie rod. It attaches from the driver side knuckle to the drag link. A ZJ tie rod replaces that with a solid bar, adjuster sleeve and tie rod end.
The drag link goes from the pitman arm to the passenger knuckle.
The drag link is the same for the ZJ and XJ.
DriverX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The way he explained it was there was some bar that went from tie rod to drag link. Well that doesn't exist. I assumed he has a typo in there somewhere.

Unread 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverX View Post
The straight bar he is referring to is the tie rod. It attaches from the driver side knuckle to the drag link. A ZJ tie rod replaces that with a solid bar, adjuster sleeve and tie rod end.
The drag link goes from the pitman arm to the passenger knuckle.
The drag link is the same for the ZJ and XJ.
That's true, I was slightly incorrect with my previous description. But the question still doesn't make sense relative to what was discussed before about the V8 ZJ tie rod.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
DriverX
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What question? About it being a direct bolt in? Or about messing with steering components?

The ZJ tie rod is a direct bolt on part. Make sure you get the tie rod end and adjuster sleeve too (a complete tie rod from knuckle to drag link).

I'm not sure what he meant by "mesing with steering components". That is a very vague question.

I'm confused now too...
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
the straight bar that attaches from tierod to the draglink, would it be worth rigging up a stronger setup as in just some beefier round tubing and tap the ends for the tie rods and use a nut to secure the tie rods?
This question. "The straight bar that attaches from tierod to the drag link..."
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
DriverX
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwildmann View Post
This question. "The straight bar that attaches from tierod to the drag link..."
I see... I have no idea what he is referring to either. I think it was a typo on his side.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverX View Post
I see... I have no idea what he is referring to either. I think it was a typo on his side.
That's the only part that has me confused

Unread 05-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #14
yamazinger
1993 XJ Cherokee 

sry about the confusion, what my question was, is the tierod end that connects to the drivers side knuckle and threads into the "straight bar" that runs parallel to the differential and connects to the drag link using another tie rod end threaded into the same bar. I assumed that when i was told all i needed was the tie rod, that meant just the tie rod end that connects on the drivers side. So when i steal this setup off a zj i need entire thing? just a misunderstanding on my end
xj-axle.jpg

Unread 05-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #15
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
sry about the confusion, what my question was, is the tierod end that connects to the drivers side knuckle and threads into the "straight bar" that runs parallel to the differential and connects to the drag link using another tie rod end threaded into the same bar. I assumed that when i was told all i needed was the tie rod, that meant just the tie rod end that connects on the drivers side. So when i steal this setup off a zj i need entire thing? just a misunderstanding on my end
That makes more sense. The "straight bar" is the tie rod. Like what was said previously, the V8 ZJ tie rod only has adjustment at one end (as in only one replaceable tie rod end, the other tie rod end is integral to the tie rod itself). So, from the donor ZJ, you'll need the tie rod, tie rod end and the adjuster sleeve and long with the hardware. You'll completely understand when you see it. Be sure that you're getting one from a V8 ZJ, I think that the 4.0L ZJs use the same tie rod as an XJ.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.