ZJ Rear Seat Headrests Installed With Writeup! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > ZJ Rear Seat Headrests Installed With Writeup!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

For what it's worth, I bought the rear seat back from a Grand, ripped it open and removed the rear headrest brackets by cutting the welds with a grinder. I then removed and opened up the seat back from my Cherokee and bolted the brackets to the metal seat back pan. I had to make up some custom spacer blocks out of wood to allow the brackets to sit nice. I bolted it together using self locking nuts (nylon inserts) so they won't rattle free. I cut back the foam a little so the cushion would lay nice.
Will it hold up in an accident? I don't know but it has to be better than not having it. Even if it gives way, it will have taken some of the force of the acident.
In hindsight, the only thing I'd do differently would be to spend more time on the spacer blocks. My blocks are flat which means the headrests come out of the setback parallel to the seat. Ideally, they'd pitch forward a bit to be closer to your head.
EVERYONE should do this mod!!

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
lazyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Here is another possibility for adding headrests to the rear seats
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadRests.htm
2001 Sport, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KOs, R.E. DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, 8.25-4.56-TruTrac, SYE, D-30 E-locker w/alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
lazyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
jilly44

Success!!

I did it with my friend assisting along the way. I now have headrests and they look great. No photos now but I'm excited!! I put some cup holders in as well and now I need to address the rust in my 'new' vehicle. Thanks all! Cheers........
jilly44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
jilly44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
It's a really tight fit inside the seat. Even if the clamps were to pull away from the copper strap, the bars on the headrest would still have to go all the way through the seat cushion to do any damage. I'm sure there are other ways to secure the retainers inside the seat frame as well - maybe use short bolts with locknuts on the copper straps? I just used what I had on hand at the time, and had no issues with it while it was in my ownership.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Steve. I had success with my copper strapping and clamps as per the instructions on the site and it is lookin good!! I'm so glad and it feels strong enough as you said......cheers.
jilly44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #20
iowassfan

How do you remove the plastic sleeves that the headrest slide down into? Im planning on hitting the junkyards soon if I can't find a set online.
iowassfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #21
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Once the donor ZJ seat is opened up, it will be obvious. There are push pin things that have to be pushed in to let the plastic pieces back out of the metal sleeves that are welded onto the frame.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.