Young mechanic needs jeep adivice on a 86 cherokee - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Young mechanic needs jeep adivice on a 86 cherokee

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
1986cherokeenc
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Well, a few of my buddies have welders, and im getting pretty discouraged with my jeep, i dont have alot of money to make her great, i just want a good running vehicle that i can take mudding and trail riding. i dont have all the money to get new axles lockers and new motor, what do you think it would cost me to find a nice jeep with good axles and lockers.

1986cherokeenc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #32
Armycherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I bout my 92 for 800 bucks and drove it home it has the 4.0 and 4x4.
Don't get down about your jeep you are young enough one day after you get a decent job you will be there with your friends just don't get down just get a good running jeep or fix what you got don't worry bout height and tires just get it running
Armycherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

6" lift (mud) Long arm'd xj with MTRs in decent condition ...~4000$
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #34
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Until you get to 35" tires, your jeep generally has good axles for most off-roading. Get a lunchbox locker for the front and/or rear for around 300 bucks a piece and you can run 33's locked as long as your Ujoints are in good shape.

If you don't have a lot of $$$, you're in the wrong hobby. Get your head down to earth and fix what you've got. You can slowly build up your Jeep piece by piece - even stock they're pretty capable.

If you want a lift, it's going to cost you $$$, Tires that aren't bald or suck - $$$, upgraded axles? $$$

You need a rebuilt or JY motor that matches what you've got, or a different XJ preferably with a 4.0L engine - they run forever and are super common.

Start saving for sensible things first like the ability to actually drive, then while saving for upgrades, feel free to read and search in the forum.
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #35
1986cherokeenc
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the support guys, and i gotcha ill get her running and save. thanks again.
1986cherokeenc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #36
xjhood
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted
96>

I have a 96 and love it 😃
xjhood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #37
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I feel bad for discouraging you with your XJ. On second thought, even if it's stock, get it running and wheel it. Just because the components in your 86 aren't as strong as in some newer models doesn't mean they aren't strong enough for your the level of wheeling you might do. Put it through it's paces. Lift and other goodies aside, you may find you have what you need already. I have been thoroughly impressed where my XJ would go stock with street tires and a rear locker. See what you can do with what you've got!

Tags
cherokee , engine swap , help please , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.