York 210 OBA project (start) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > York 210 OBA project (start)

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

York 210 OBA project (start)

Well my run to the junkyard was a sucess!
I found and removed a york 210 from an '86 Grand wagoneer for $50. I took it home and took it apart, confirmed it was a 210, cleaned it up and painted it.

I have been reading up on doing the OBA set up all day. I now know i need to go home and test the clutch and drain all fluid.

I already have a 5 gal tank that i will be mounting where the stock spare tire used to be. I am also planning on buying the oil filter kit, check valve, pressure switch and safety relief velve from kilby. The rest I was gonna try to piece together myself from northern tools and harbor freight (both local). I am planning on mounting the compressor on the driver's side since that is also the side where my tank will go, With no brackets for the xj on the market (at least I havn't found one) I am probably going to have a local racing shop fab the brackets. Any other suggestions? I would also like to mount the switch and pressure gauge in the cab but not real sure of the details, like mounting a psi gauge that is not on the main air line or tank.

Is there anything I am missing? Does anyone have pictures of a york on an XJ? I have read that a 4'min. section of copper tubing is needed out of the compressor to allow the air to cool before reaching hoses or the filter or the manifold, is this really necessary? where do you hide 4' of copper? I would like to keep the oil filter and manifold under the hood if possible (no air box, tons of room on driver side).

pictures of engine compartment coming soon. pictures of york coming later than soon.

Unread 09-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The canvas:

Unread 09-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
XJohnnyC

I have a York 210 OBA system. I used the bracket and pulley from Kilby Enterprises. The bracket for the XJ is not listed on the site. It's part number KE-1700.

I used the parts list and diagrams from Kilby's site to assemble my setup. I didn't use any copper tubing and I haven't had any issues in a year.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJohnnyC View Post
I have a York 210 OBA system. I used the bracket and pulley from Kilby Enterprises. The bracket for the XJ is not listed on the site. It's part number KE-1700.

I used the parts list and diagrams from Kilby's site to assemble my setup. I didn't use any copper tubing and I haven't had any issues in a year.
GOOD TO HEAR i really did not want to rig up some copper tubing mess.

What side of the engine does the compressor go with the kilby system? Is it laying down or standing up? actually pictures would be great if you have 'em.
Unread 09-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
XJohnnyC

With the Kilby setup, you have to relocate the battery. Then the York mounts upright next to the factory A/C compressor.

You also have to space the fan out about 1/4", so that it doesn't hit the York pulley. But that if easily done with some washers.

I had to have the A/C condensor modified because the hard lines got in the way. But I believe that is not an issue on the 84-96.

I might be able to get some pics later today.
Unread 09-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I found some information on that Kilby kit. It looks like I get to relocate the battery, really didn't want to do that... but oh well. what air hose did you use, what were the psi and heat ratings?
Unread 09-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
XJohnnyC

I just picked up some Goodyear air hose from Harbor Freight and cut to fit. I went with all barbed fittings. Haven't blown a hose off yet.
Unread 10-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

WTF is a York?

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
It's a compressor.. you can convert an A/C compressor to an air compressor. In fact, you don't really have to do much more than somehow make sure that the compressor gets enough lubricating oil and that the intake air is filtered to prevent dust and all other crap from entering the compressor. Ok, some wiring, a few switches etc. etc., but it's not THAT hard to do anyways. An A/C compressor will produce serious amounts of compressed air compared to the flimsy, noisy and expensive 12V electric compressors (like Viair or ARB).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
1offroadin4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadetklapp View Post
WTF is a York?
Ya know....it's a peppermint patty !!!

[B]Member Of: [COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"]Empty Pockets Offroad Club[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B]emptypocketsoffroad.org[/B][/SIZE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORO_JCaOAY&feature=related[/url]
1offroadin4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

ROFL!

I see. This was a factory option on old Jeeps?

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
XJohnnyC

The York was the factory air compressor for some older vehicles such as Volvo and Mercedes. AMC also used these compressors. I got my York out of an old AMC Eagle.

There were several different Yorks. The 210 is the best...it puts out the most air. There is also the 208 and 209.

Some people will convert their factory Sanden A/C compressors to OBA. By adding a York compressor, you get to retain the factory A/C.
Unread 10-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJohnnyC View Post
With the Kilby setup, you have to relocate the battery. Then the York mounts upright next to the factory A/C compressor.

You also have to space the fan out about 1/4", so that it doesn't hit the York pulley. But that if easily done with some washers.

I had to have the A/C condensor modified because the hard lines got in the way. But I believe that is not an issue on the 84-96.

I might be able to get some pics later today.
I was looking at where the york would mount up last night, and it looks like my upper radiator hose might be in the way... The hose runs right over the top of the A/C compressor, is that gonna be in the way?

The hard lines from the Compressor run out of the back so I am good there.

Some of the set ups i've seen have a miniture cone filter, but the only filter i see on kilby's site is that cylinder looking thing with a tiny hole in it. The cone looks a lot cheaper and easier to move about and find a mounting spot out of the way. What are you using?
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

If your Jeep is ever going to see deep water, you could always route the air compressor inlet into the factory airbox with a hose like the military does.

Edit: I just noticed you dont have your air box anymore, so I guess you could use the intake pipe up near your filter.
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I dont have ARBs so I wouldn't have a need to run the compressor while driving, It would just be for airing up tires and running air tools. So i was thinking of making some sort of cover for the filter for times when I might be going thru some water. Initial plans in my head involved those little plasic half circle things you get from the quarter machines at the grocery store, you know with the sticky hands and stuff in 'em.

I planned on attaching the lid to the base of the filter then just snap on the rest when wheeling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.