Yikes...Power steering fluid in brake system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Yikes...Power steering fluid in brake system

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
XJER
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yikes...Power steering fluid in brake system

I know, dumb, but I accidently put power steering fluid in the brake system. Only about 1 ounce or so, but it was driven like that for about a week and now the pedal goes nearly to the floor with reduced braking. Brake light is of course on. I flushed and bleed the entire sytem with at least 2 quarts of new brake fluid, but no improvement. I think I know I am in trouble. Is this just a M/C issue, or am I looking at hoses and caliper replacement. Idiot mistake....was in a hurry and was just topping it off before a long trip. Thanks for any advice.

XJER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
bikedude189
1993 XJ Cherokee 

well, i'm guessing that if it suddenly failed, power steering fluid eats rubber... at least M/C seal rubber. pull it apart and rebuild your master, pretty cheap. take a look at your flex lines while its off, and see if any fragments come out of them. try bleeding them again, take a large syringe and pump the fluid from the calipers through to the master. this is how bicycle brakes are bled and its the easiest and best method i've found for the heep too, it pushed bubbles UP instead of down...

good luck!
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedude189 View Post
well, i'm guessing that if it suddenly failed, power steering fluid eats rubber... at least M/C seal rubber. pull it apart and rebuild your master, pretty cheap. take a look at your flex lines while its off, and see if any fragments come out of them. try bleeding them again, take a large syringe and pump the fluid from the calipers through to the master. this is how bicycle brakes are bled and its the easiest and best method i've found for the heep too, it pushed bubbles UP instead of down...

good luck!
Actually, you will need to replace ALL THE RUBBER PARTS in the ENTIRE BRAKE SYSTEM, as NONE OF THEM are tolerant of power steering fluid, which is a type of OIL.

Brake fluid is a type of ALCOHOL, and thus rubber parts in brake systems are geared around being tolerant of that type of chemical.

You will need:

1. new rear wheel cylinders (or seal kits for them)
2. new front calipers (or seal kits for them)
3. a new master cylinder (or a seal kit for it)
4 new front brake hoses
5. a new rear brake hose

Finding seal kits is problematic nowadays, since no one rebuilds calipers or wheel cylinders themselves (it's more cost effective to just buy reman'd ones)

Good luck on your overhaul. I am betting you will NEVER make that simple, but critical, mistake again.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
XJER
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, that is what I thought. Guess it is a good time to hit the junk yard for some used parts and go to the stainless steel lines.....me so dumb.

Thanks for the replies.
XJER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Rebuilt Calipers are $13 each at autozone
Rebuild the master cylinder. That kits cheap as well.
you should have extended stainless breaklines by now anyways. Go get them.
And lastly, Ford 8.8 out of a ford explorer: $200 and it has Disc breaks! (but you'll need a welder)
Ok, if you don't have a welder, get rear cylinders while you're at autozone. I dunno how much those cost.

I think this is the perfect excuse to slip an axle upgrade by the wife. "My breaks failed! It's going to cost $200 to fix. Sorry hunny!"
CharlieMopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
bikedude189
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i think you should be able to get all the seal kits and lines at q'tec. if not then scrounge your local parts stores/internets. go green! rebuild, not replace!
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.