Yes, you "can" change the fuel pump on a 1990 Cherokee without droping the tank...BUT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Yes, you "can" change the fuel pump on a 1990 Cherokee without droping the tank...BUT

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
alhefner
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, you "can" change the fuel pump on a 1990 Cherokee without droping the tank...BUT

OK, someone here mentioned that it could be done and since I felt there was still more gas in the tank than I wanted to deal with, I decided to try it.

Hammering off the retaining ring that holds the pump into the tank was pretty easy even for such a cramped space.

Getting the old pump out was a bit tight but with a bit of moving around, that wasn't so bad either.

Once pump bracket and all was out, remove and replace of pump is straight forward.

The real issues arise when reinstalling!!!!

With the new gasket, the room for starting the new (or old one if reusing it) retaining ring was an absolute bear! There is little room to work and getting enough pressure on the assembly to allow the retaining ring to start under the tabs is pretty much impossible.

I "modified" the new retaining ring a bit with a file to give a kind of pointed knife edge to catch under the retaining tabs for starting it. Only after I did that was I able to get it going like it should.

I actually ran out of cuss words!!!! Good new is that it is all back together and the new pump is working.

So, if you can, get all the gas out of your tank and drop it before trying to change the fuel pump. You can use the return line at the tank to pump out gas using a hand pump too...it will get a lot of it but not all.

Good luck folks and thanks for the previous help and pointers!

alhefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
00cherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

OK... as awesome as it is that you got it done... why? Seriously, it takes 10 minutes to drop the tank and a little longer to put it back in. Jeep even put in a plate under the filler hose so you can easily acess the hoses so its much easier to put it back in than most cars.
00cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
WoodyRunner
1987 XJ Cherokee 

cause its way easier then dropping the tank imo. Less work. Putting the tank back in my 87 was a *****
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
TMXONR
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I have had my fuel pump out so many times that I could probably swap one out with my eyes closed (I have probably had the sending unit out 8 times). I did find that in the HELP! section of Oreilly's, they have fuel tank gaskets for the sending unit. They don't have one that lists Jeep on it, but they have one that will work. It is listed as being for GM and Ford, and the part number is 55812. It comes with two gaskets and two lock rings, there is a big set and a small set. The smaller set is the one that you will use. The thing that I like about it is that the gasket has 3 "feet" that stick off of it and help to hold the gasket centered as you put the sending unit in and tighten down the lock ring. The gasket was always the hardest part for me when working on the tank, because it would always move and be crooked when trying to lock everything in. The new gasket made putting it back together a piece of cake.
'87 XJ: Front 3-link with coilovers, sits at 4.5" of lift | Custom front bumper | Custom rear bumper | Custom Rock Rails | Tow hooks and Rear hitch | Warn M8000 | Racing seats | Factory D44 in the rear | 33x12.50 Interco TrXus MT's on Mickey Thompson 15x8 Classic Lock's | 4.56 gears | ECTED's front and rear | RCV front axle shafts

Blue Jeep Club #244
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
taylorboy45
1996 ZJ 

Change in-tank fuel pump 1990 Jeep Cherokee

All good stuff here. Thanks to all posts, my experience was great. I position the car for the lift, disconnected the battery, and siphoned all the gas from the gas tank that I could. Then I lifted the car with a two-post lift,

Next, I disconnected the electrical connection and fuel lines. The biggest problem there was that one of the clamp screws was difficult to get to.

Then went to work removing the lock ring. Since the procedure calls for using a brass drift, I used both a brass drift and a brass hammer to reduce the risk of spark. The ring came right out and so did the pump. The only hitch here was that the rubber stopper-looking part that the fuel intake goes into stayed in the tank. With no room to spare I got my arm in there up to my elbow and retrieved the stopper.

I coated the new O-ring with a film of oil. Putting the pump back in required careful placement and then I diddled around for a little while getting the pump in exactly the right place so that the O ring would seat properly. Once the O-ring was properly seated, I used the drift to seat the lock ring.

Then I just reconnected the hoses, plugged in the electrical connector and installed the two zip ties that were supplied with the pump to hold the hoses in place.

If I had not had a lift, I think it would have been more difficult to be able to get my arm positioned such that I could get it into the fuel tank to remove the rubber stopper looking part.

There was plenty of room to remove and install the pump with the tank left in place once the suspension was stretched out with the weight of the wheels and axle.

The whole job, including siphoning the tank was about 90 minutes.
taylorboy45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.