Xj wont stay running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Xj wont stay running

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
taylorbapt
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Xj wont stay running

I have a 99 Xj 4.0L. When I'm driving and slow down it dies and when I start it and let it idle it runs for a bit and then it's idle gets bad and jerks and dies, does anybody have any ideas what can cause this?

taylorbapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are all the tune-up parts fresh ? The problem might be a battery issue, a failing O2 sensor, or a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor. Start with the cheap and easy stuff. Test the sensors before you invest in any new parts.

Stalling can be caused by a low voltage issue from:
  • a failing battery
  • a failing alternator
  • dirty or loose wire connections
  • internally corroded battery wires
Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Copper wires should be copper color, not black or green. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
taylorbapt
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks i will check it all and see if I can find anything bad, I've changed to O2 sensors, are crankshaft position sensors hard to change?
taylorbapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Not much worse to change than O2 sensors.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You need about three 6" extensions and swivel to unbolt it.

You might also need to take a few yoga classes to get your body in the right position to get to that sensor.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.