XJ Wont Idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Wont Idle

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Walkeraviator
1998 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Wont Idle

My 98 is having an idle problem. First when I start it I have to pump the throttle like a carb to get it to run. Then I have to keep my foot on it to keep it at 1000 rpm. If i take my foot off, it dies. If I drive it around for a while i will eventually start idling when i come to a stop. Then it will work fine for a few weeks. Then one day I get up and she is doing it all over again. Though the first time it did it I had bought bad fuel. But now that it is doing it repeatedly I know there is something wrong.

Does this thing have a MAF sensor or a MAP or something else that could need a good cleaning???

Walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
BUSA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE="Walkeraviator"]My 98 is having an idle problem. First when I start it I have to pump the throttle like a carb to get it to run. Then I have to keep my foot on it to keep it at 1000 rpm. If i take my foot off, it dies. If I drive it around for a while i will eventually start idling when i come to a stop. Then it will work fine for a few weeks. Then one day I get up and she is doing it all over again. Though the first time it did it I had bought bad fuel. But now that it is doing it repeatedly I know there is something wrong.

Does this thing have a MAF sensor or a MAP or something else that could need a good
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
glatt513
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Replace your idle air control valve (IAC), it is simple, easy & will solve your problem. Get one at NAPA, the discount stores sell junkers that won't last more than a year.
glatt513 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check your battery and connections... if the pcm doesnt see a full 12 volts all kinds of wacky things can happen.
BillB7581 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
thenewguy79
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice. My 99 xj is doing the same. Wish it didnt cost so much for the part though, wow
thenewguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

X2 on the battery and connections, I had a dying battery and had the same symptoms as you.
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
cascadesdreamin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Same. I had a busted cell in my battery after wheeling and it was doing this. Parts store tested it for me to confirm it. I think I'll come up with some kind of foamy soft platform for my battery.
cascadesdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
....when I start it I have to pump the throttle like a carb to get it to run. Then I have to keep my foot on it to keep it at 1000 rpm. If i take my foot off, it dies. If I drive it around for a while i will eventually start idling when i come to a stop.
You have a low voltage issue.

For 1996+ Jeeps, the OBD-II engine computer (ECU/PCM) re-boots, and the idle settings are deleted, when you: (1) let the battery run down by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) when the battery goes bad and needs replacing, (4) when the alternator is not properly charging the battery, (5) or when poor battery connections result in a voltage drop at the PCM or poor battery charging.

Low voltage symptoms are as follows: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal. (3) The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of driving and the engine will start and idle normally.

Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace them as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body.

If the symptoms reoccur, you need to have your battery and/or the alternator load tested at a repair shop or auto parts store. This is usually a free service they offer to bring in potential customers. Even with low battery voltage, the engine will start, but the ECU can re-boot multiple times and a new battery may be required.

Cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC), regular tune-ups, and using fuel injector cleaner should be part of your routine preventative maintenance.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bad battery , hard start , no idle , pump gas pedal , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.