XJ V8 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ V8 swap

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

XJ V8 swap

Anyone done a fuel injected 5.2 or 5.9 swap? Looking to do this on my 95 XJ maybe use a zj, durango or dakota as a doner. Whatever i come across for the right price. Will the 5.2-5.9 bolt up to the AW4? My tranny and t-case are both new and id like to keep them. Any info would be awesome. Thanks guys

PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sort answer NO, try searching. theres alot to a v8 swap

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

I have found many v8 swaps on the TJ and some on the XJ but everyone drops in chevy motors when it comes to the XJ. I wana keep it Mopar.
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

There's a guy on Mallcrawlin in the process of it...
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Not a fan of that site honestly. Im a member visited 3-4 times didnt bother going back.
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Me either, that's why I didn't bother linking you

Ran across it on another forum...
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

You really like frozen pizza huh ol
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

People drop GM engines into everything because of simplicity. My brother is almost done putting a 350 in his '90 YJ. Don't remember what year the 350 is, but its TBI. After he "trimmed the fat", and got everything dressed up properly, he had the grand total of five wires to tie into the YJ's electrical system. There's nothing out there any simpler. Also, the GM TBI system is nearly bulletproof, and extremely reliable. Parts are cheap and easy to find, too. I'm sure you can mechanically install the Mopar powerplant, but there will be a lot more to making it run than with a GM engine.

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Yea im not interested in doing that. I dont believe in it. If and when i do it, it's getting a magnum 5.2 or 5.9 and will stay injected.
Unread 04-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to talk you into GM instead of Mopar, just explaining why everyone does GM. If you want Mopar, by all means, go for it. Its just harder to do the electrical, and its not nearly as easy to find parts for the install. Personally, I think a 318 in a Cherokee would be awesome, but its not something I would want to do myself. Best of luck with the swap!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
fasterthanlight
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I'm curious myself on this one because i have a 94 XJ and I just got an older 318 with a carb and my 4.0 is toast due to an injector going out I am wanting to know if there is any kind of a kit that will help my bolt the auto trans to the back of the motor since i wont have the tbi it should b simpler or am i just getting into alot of trouble that wont b worth the payoff in the end.
fasterthanlight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 01:15 AM   #12
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think the biggest issue would be the wiring. IIRC Painless makes some kits for the later model Mopar engines, you might be able to buy a harness that you can adapt into yours.

Trans etc, likely will not bolt right up, adapters, motor mounts etc...lots of work. Would be pretty kool however! Extreme 4x4 did a Hemi swap into a Wrangler last season... sweet rig.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 02:31 AM   #13
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I say it's doable, but you propably need to do front uniframe notching & plating, some sort of custom wiring harness, engine & tranny mounts etc.. a lot of work. And do NOT forget cooling system updates if going v8- route.

You cannot use the aw4, and especially behind the 360 it's not a good option strength- wise. Go stock route and keep what's behind the donor engine.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.