XJ Tune-up Guide - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Tune-up Guide

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
spectre853
1996 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Tune-up Guide

In an attempt to distill all of the information available on the recommend items required to perform a tune-up on an XJ, here is everything I have gathered through my own research and some fairly extensive forum mining. Please feel free to add any recommendations and/or personal experiences to make this list as exhaustive as possible.

All items are for a 1996 XJ Cherokee Classic, though they should work for older model XJs, and may work for newer model XJs unless otherwise noted.

Spark plugs:
Champion Copper P/N RC12LYC
US$1.99 per (AutoZone)
Notes:
The AMC-designed I6, as well as it's Chrysler improved variants, seems to run best on these basic factory-installed plugs. On top of which, they are significantly cheaper than other "Platinum Grade" plugs on the market. Often held in stock at most auto parts stores.

Wireset:
Bosch P/N 098284
US$29.99 (AutoZone)
Notes:
While not all wiresets are created equally, they all serve the same purpose, and that is to deliver a charge from the distributor to the spark plugs. With this in mind, a Bosch wireset is recommended not because of any particular experience or function, but rather because they are a fairly basic, middle-of-the-road wireset, and are widely available. Essentially any wireset will do, but it is generally recommended that one not spend too much (for fear of wasting money on insignificant features) or too little (for fear of sacrificing quality for savings) on these essential electrical components. Often held in stock at most auto parts stores.

Distributor Cap:
Accel P/N 120330
US$16.99 (Pep Boys)
Notes:
This distributor cap features brass contacts, as opposed to the copper contacts of the Duralast cap. Additionally, in the case of AutoZone anyway, the Accel cap is actually US$1 less expensive. However, this product may need to be special ordered, depending of availability.

Ignition rotor:
Accel P/N 130330
US$10.99 (Pep Boys)
Notes:
This product was chosen simply due to the fact that it is from the same manufacturer as the chosen distributor cap. This product may need to be special ordered, depending on availability.

Oxygen sensors:
Upstream (before catylitic converter):
NGK P/N 23121
US$58.19 (NAPA Auto Parts)
Downstream (after catylitic converter):
NGK P/N 23014
US$60.76 (NAPA Auto Parts)
Notes:
While Bosch manufactures many fine products, to include oxygen sensors, theirs do not fare well in Jeep vehicles. This is due to a higher required voltage draw in the heating circuit as compared to the factory-installed NGK (NTK) brand sensors. This causes the Bosch sensors to take longer to heat up, and may affect the OBD computer. Note that the prices are taken from NAPA's website, due to local availability. They can be found for US$48.99 and US$51.99, respectively, at www.summitracing.com, but with a Delivering and Handling Charge of US$11.95 and estimated ship date often 2 weeks out, NAPA may be the best option when considering convenience. These items may also be purchased at the dealer, but due to the vagaries of dealer pricing depending on location, local taxes, and other factors, that option is not discussed here. Often held in stock at NAPA auto parts stores.

Fuel filter:
Az P/N FF676DL
US$12.99 (AutoZone)
Notes:
Simply a widely-available inline fuel filter. Often held in stock at most auto parts stores.

Air filter:
AMSOIL P/N EAA29
US$38.10 (AMSOIL)
Notes:
This air filter comes with a recommendation from the comments. Good for 100,000 or 4 years, which ever comes first, and a price point at just under twice what an average conventional cellulose filter would cost, AMSOIL air filters purport a more efficient nanofiber techonology that only requires a simple wipe-down and dust-off once a year. Unfortunately, this item may only be available through order (http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EAA29-EA)

Again, please feel free to add any notes or comments to improve this list.

Last edited by spectre853; 04-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Updated information
spectre853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
spectre853
1996 XJ Cherokee 

An excellent article on the pros and cons of conventional oil vs. synthetic: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/synthe...-motor-oil.htm

Further discussion on the oxygen sensor conundrum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...ensor-1049729/
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rockauto typically beats everyone on price and fast shipping.
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
whowey
1988 MJ Comanche 

Accel uses brass not copper contacts on its caps and rotors. There are other caps out there that have the brass contacts that are cheaper than Accel.

There are a handful of thoughts on K&N filters specifically and oil soaked gauze filters in general. Many consider them to allow far too much dust and sand through them for proper filtration.
1994 ZJ Happily gone
whowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hey man great list. I think you could expand a little but, but a good start

A buddy of mine (jeepkid03) recommended this filter : http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EAA29-EA
instead of the k&n
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
spectre853
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowey View Post
Accel uses brass not copper contacts on its caps and rotors. There are other caps out there that have the brass contacts that are cheaper than Accel.

There are a handful of thoughts on K&N filters specifically and oil soaked gauze filters in general. Many consider them to allow far too much dust and sand through them for proper filtration.
Thanks for the catch. Difficult managing that wall of text. And do you have any specific recommendations for caps?

Last edited by spectre853; 04-26-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
spectre853
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXJ91 View Post
A buddy of mine (jeepkid03) recommended this filter : http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EAA29-EA
instead of the k&n
Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by spectre853; 04-26-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
spectre853
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXJ91 View Post
Hey man great list. I think you could expand a little but, but a good start
What other information would you like to see?

Last edited by spectre853; 04-26-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #9
Shane1447

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre853 View Post
What other information would you like to see?
Hows about exhaust seals/gaskets, injector cleaning, and crankcase cleaning?
Shane1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

About the distributor cap, the napa echland brand (ech) is a great cap too along with napa gold oil filters (wix brand)
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
IonlyBuyJeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bosch Platinum Plus

For late model Cherokee's with the 4.0L I6 that don't have a distributor go with the Bosch Platinum Plus spark plugs. I just put them in my stock Cherokee and they made a big difference. They are 20cents more than the copper but so worth it. You can get them at Pep Boys and Napa.
IonlyBuyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distributor cap , filter , oxygen sensor , spark plug , tune up

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.