XJ towing XJ on trailer, quite possible? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ towing XJ on trailer, quite possible?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-06-2004, 12:37 AM   #1
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

XJ towing XJ on trailer, quite possible?

U-Haul is telling me a XJ can't tow a XJ on a trailer.

XJ - About 3,100lbs
U-Haul trailer - Around 1,500?

5,000lb towing capacity... U-Haul says I need a heavier vehicle to tow. Sounds more like, "We want you to rent more of our crappy equipment."

I honestly believe the XJ is capable of doing this. Maybe another rental service something could recommend?

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:48 AM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Its can be done, but it is putting the Jeep to the limits. There is no reason U-Haul should be telling you not to though, they probably do want you to rent their stuff. I hope you have a tranny cooler, she'll get real hot with a tow like that.
Unread 10-06-2004, 01:05 AM   #3
XJ-Maki

i'd tell 'em i needed the trailer to pick up an old fiat or mg
XJ-Maki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2004, 06:21 AM   #4
ATS

Actually with the proper equipement (which Uhaul does not provide) like sway-bar s and load bars on a proper setup (like I use to haul horses and trailer with) and with a trailer that has electric brakes system, yes you can pull 5500 lbs with an XJ

Uhaul equipment have enertia brake system, and is NOT reccomended to be used with a load over 3000lbs with an Xj (actually would push you off the road).

Now your option would be to use a tow-dolly.
[COLOR=Blue]Texas[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed] Owners[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Member[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed] # 1[/COLOR] [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109213]CLICK TO JOIN![/URL]
2001 Blue Cherokee Sport, [COLOR=Blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #90[/COLOR].
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSN: [email]pbureau69@hotmail.com[/email], AIM: pbureau69, Yahoo: pbureau69[/SIZE]
ATS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2004, 08:29 AM   #5
billbarr100

u-haul has some stupid rule abuot not letting you tow more than your vehicle weighs. They also wont' rent if you have a lift. But most don't enforce that.
Rusty's Trailrated Crossmember with skid plate
Front and Rear tow hitches
245-75-16 mt/r on moab wheels from rubicon
billbarr100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
ilovjeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My father used his 86 2.8l xj to tow a full size bronco from north tonawanda to south buffalo. incase anyone knows how far that is if not it was like a 30-45 minute drive. it had a tow package on there, it didn't hurt one thing on that jeep infact it also took my garage down a few months after this still no problems. Infact it lasted until we got home when we got that seven foot snow three years ago. The timing chain let go after 162,*** miles on her.
Unread 10-06-2004, 06:24 PM   #7
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I have a complete tow package for towing a camper, sway bars, etc. Just doubt U-Haul can hook it up. (Normally used for a 40 foot camper being hauled by a Dodge Ram 350 Van.)

Any advice on renting a trailer from a place that would be good for this single trip? I also thought about disconnecting the driveshafts and towing on its own wheels if it had a front reciever.

P.S. I'll be hauling 90lerado's XJ about 420 miles. If I can't haul it... would really put a dent in buying it.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Unread 10-06-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
lilacsl2
OhDoyleRules

2013 JK Wrangler 

Ask one of your buddies with a truck to help you out, I do not know about your social circle but most I know of have the guy that randomly bought a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck as his daily driver (my circle has three of them), If you can't get a friends to hook you up, You could always rent a larger vehicle, when we rented an extra truck to carry -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= in to and from our camp where I working this summer, it cost like 50 some odd dollars a day with unlimited miliage for a 4x4 1/2 ton chevy from enterprise rentals car. Look into some rental firms and get a price for a truck or ask your buddies. also if you have AAA plus they will tow your rig on a flat bed for you, call them up and see how far they will to for free. I have been towed 120-30 miles for free.
2007 Dodge 1500 Laramie, Hemi, 20's, 33's, all the goodies.
lilacsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2004, 06:54 PM   #9
ilovjeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i have allstate and when I bought the 95 they towed it for free up to 16 miles.
Unread 10-06-2004, 07:02 PM   #10
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsl2
Ask one of your buddies with a truck to help you out, I do not know about your social circle but most I know of have the guy that randomly bought a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck as his daily driver (my circle has three of them), If you can't get a friends to hook you up, You could always rent a larger vehicle, when we rented an extra truck to carry -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= in to and from our camp where I working this summer, it cost like 50 some odd dollars a day with unlimited miliage for a 4x4 1/2 ton chevy from enterprise rentals car. Look into some rental firms and get a price for a truck or ask your buddies. also if you have AAA plus they will tow your rig on a flat bed for you, call them up and see how far they will to for free. I have been towed 120-30 miles for free.
Abbreviated since Firefox crashed.

No such thing. Jeeps or nothing at all.

Rental companies think being under 21 makes you an imbecile at driving.

AAA covers up to 200 miles for me then it is whatever the towing company wants to charge.

U-Haul seems to have the monopoly on car haulers.

Build Project Thread
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:12 PM   #11
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Found a few suggestions on this. Use a tow dolly and pull the rear drive shaft? Sounds like that would work fine.

Build Project Thread
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:21 PM   #12
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

couldnt you just throw the t-case in neutral?

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:31 PM   #13
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolognablake
couldnt you just throw the t-case in neutral?
Technically, but the driveshaft still turns. Its a problem for the transfer case and it would be better for it to drop the drive shaft.

Build Project Thread
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:51 PM   #14
Mikey B

Not to add more bad news, but after working with dolly's and car carriers' triple check the weight of the car carrier. A friends dad rents ryder's (now Budget) and we towed a 66 VW "sandrail" (DuneBuggy) with his XJ and it didn't like it at all. Totally stock XJ w/tow package, and the VW weight's in at less then 1000 lbs...

As for the dolly idea, in most states, the car on the dolly needs to have a plate cause the dolly doesn't get registered. The car on it serves as the registration...

Good Luck
Mikey B
Hella 500's | Hella Micro FF | "Walmart light bar"
[B][I]
R.I.P.[/I][/B]
Mikey B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2004, 12:44 AM   #15
Islandroaddie96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I towed a VW bus about 10 miles, but it was a hilly 10 miles. It was on a dolly and the VW hadn't moved in like 15 years. All together must've weighed close to 4000lbs. The dolly was actually huge (could've put a 1 ton on it) and the VW filled with parts. It towed fine power-wise, but as usual, the braking was the weak point. I just have the factory tow package, no trailer brakes, stabilizers - nothing. Personally, Alexia, I'd say just go for it with the dolly. Remember to give yourself plenty of room and don't push yourself to rush. If the roads are relatively flat, you should be okay. Throw some synthetic oil in the rear diff, if you haven't done so already. Other than that, watch your temps, make sure fluids are topped off and have fun with it.

BTW: What do you have in mind for your new toy?

GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #74
Islandroaddie96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.