XJ Tow package - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Tow package

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
JPK
2005 WK 

XJ Tow package

I want to install a OEM tow hitch on my XJ. Is the wiring pre installed or do you ahve to install it when the kit is installed and tie it into the electrical system? Thanks, found one at a JY and it has all the electrical hook ups mounted on the hitch bracket. Thanks

JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wires should be spliced in or on a T-connector behind the left tail light. When I got mine I just cut the wires and bought a new harness they are only $20. When you pull the hitch at the JY make sure you get the nut strips from inside the frame rails
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
JPK
2005 WK 

Re: XJ tow package

Yes, I know about the strips. I removed a 1" set off my XJ a couple of years ago. This is a 2" package.
Unread 05-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Nut strips are overrated!

I just used a box wrench and removed the back bumper. No biggie.

You're going to want to get one of those 3 to 2 wire adapters that take the signals from L/R blinkers and Brakes and send the voltage to the trailer harness so you don't cross feed brake signals to your blinkers.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
JPK
2005 WK 

I really went to get the bumper, it's a chrome one and in good shape BUT it has a factory tow hitch installed. I thought I might just go ahead and pick up the tow package while I was at it. I can't get to the 4 inner 14mm bolts to remove the bumper. The hitch is to tight against the rear panel that the bumper mounts bolt to, only maybe an inch of clearance if that. I can get to the star bolts on the bottom of the bumper and I can possibly get to the star bolts that connect it to the mounts but there's not much room to swing a ratchet. So I will have to remove the tow hitch to remove the bumper. Plus, this is off a 89 so it has two star bolts that are extra reinforcements bolted to the chassis and are also hard to get to,...then not to mention the rust and dirt which will make removal even more of a pain.
Unread 05-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just purchased my first Cherokee..A 1996 Country....Can you tell by the photos I am uploading if the tow hitch on it is factory or aftermarket?
Thanks.
xjtowpackage.jpg   xjtowpackage2.jpg   xjtowpackage3.jpg  
BeachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.