XJ Tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Tips

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Reply
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
jdtorque
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 23
XJ Tips

So tonight I will be attempting to replace my alternator, serpentine belt, upper radiator hose, and catalytic converter. Looking for any tips from anyone who has done these jobs before and ran into any snags. Thanks a lot

jdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
JosHeis
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 14
Only thing I can suggest is watch you don't unplug the temp. sensor, I bumped mine changing the belt didn't notice I had unplugged it and when to start my jeep afterwards and just cranked and cranked turned over misfired for like 30 secs and then ran normal and mil light came on lol took me like a hour to figure out what the hell I did as I didn't have a scan tool yet. But alternator is pretty simple on all cars and so is the upper radiator hose. Never done a cat but if its just clamped on it shouldn't be to hard. Hope this helps.
JosHeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
jdtorque
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 23
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that.

Just out of curiosity, what's the best/correct way to loosen the belt? Power steering pump?
jdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
chriskeenan
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colton, Oregon
Posts: 2,229
the cat is usually very hard to remove with out cutting it off the pipe, so have the saws-all handy, the rest is fairly strait forward and easy. Also using a jack on the frame to lift the front passenger side can make getting the alternator in and out from the bottom easier.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
chriskeenan
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colton, Oregon
Posts: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtorque View Post
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that.

Just out of curiosity, what's the best/correct way to loosen the belt? Power steering pump?
the belt tensioner is the small smooth pulley right under the power steering pump, loosen the bolt in the center of the pulley and the turn the sideways bolt to the left of it to loosen or tighten the belt, the pulley will move in and out, tighten the center bolt when done.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
--chris--
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,138
The cat is one of those things i would just take somewhere and have them cut/weld it on for $30. That is of course if you dont have a welder.

Everything else should be pretty straightforward.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
jdtorque
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
the belt tensioner is the small smooth pulley right under the power steering pump, loosen the bolt in the center of the pulley and the turn the sideways bolt to the left of it to loosen or tighten the belt, the pulley will move in and out, tighten the center bolt when done.
Thanks.
jdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
jdtorque
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap5.0 View Post
The cat is one of those things i would just take somewhere and have them cut/weld it on for $30. That is of course if you dont have a welder.

Everything else should be pretty straightforward.
I would love that. problem is everyone around me wanted to charge me over 300 dollars to replace the cat.
jdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Brookhart63
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: iowa, cedar rapids
Posts: 1,339
I replaced my cat in a short amount of time. Its not really hard if you cut it off. I tried taking one off of a buddys91 and our sawsall died so we had to use a hammer. It was a pita. If you dont want to weld it, you could go the coupling route but that tends to leak and rust.
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
jdtorque
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhart63 View Post
I replaced my cat in a short amount of time. Its not really hard if you cut it off. I tried taking one off of a buddys91 and our sawsall died so we had to use a hammer. It was a pita. If you dont want to weld it, you could go the coupling route but that tends to leak and rust.
I'm going to try getting it off wihtout cutting tonight, and if I can't, I'll cut it out over the weekend. I'm not gonna bother welding it, becuase I'm plannign on installing a magnaflow exhaust this summer.
jdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
--chris--
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtorque View Post
I would love that. problem is everyone around me wanted to charge me over 300 dollars to replace the cat.
That stinks man. From what i gather, i live in an alternate universe as far as labor costs go. Ive had a few cats welded on for $25 lol.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alternator , catalytic converter , radiator hose , serpentine belt
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.