XJ stock rear springs questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ stock rear springs questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Jeep dealer said they can tell me exactly what rear spring a Classic (without tow package) would have, if I can provide a VIN number of a Classic that does NOT have tow package.

Does anyone have a Classic without tow package? Could you please provide me your VIN number? If so, I can give it to my dealer. Then they can enter it in their computer and get a part number for rear springs.

I know a 98 through 2001 Classic would work. Probably an earlier one would work too.
Classic / Sport / Etc are trim packages. The would all have the same springs unless tow package or other special package equipped.

Unread 03-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Classic / Sport / Etc are trim packages. The would all have the same springs unless tow package or other special package equipped.
AT equipped are heavier than manual tranny. Might that affect which springs?

Classic has heavier, longer TCase. Might that affect which springs?

Why are there several different standard duty springs?

Even if you are correct, I still need to know part number for rear spring of a 4L Cherokee with AT suspension (that does NOT have tow package and NOT up country package).

The detailed chart someone posted has a lot of info, but still doesn't answer that question.

To get a definative answer from dealer, I need a VIN from a 4L Cherokee with AT and Selec Trac Tcase.

Could someone provide me a VIN number I could give dealer so I can get part number? Once I have that, a dealer can definitively answer the topic.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #18
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Its not named anything. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...12/index4.html

XJ model names have little to do with what was included in them. You would just want to find someone with selectrac and see what their vin is. I would tend to think that it is going to be the same spring as any other XJ.... Tim posted the info on the springs. there is no super secret mystery spring out there, and if you are doing the work, leave the dealership behind. they are only going to cost you much, much more.
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, trying to shop for a soft, light/standard duty spring based on year/model/trim/options will get you no where, and using a stealership will just rip you off. I mean, go for it if you want to, but I think the only thing it will accomplish will be to overcomplicate and waste time. Shop for a soft, light duty leaf spring for an XJ--leave that "99 Classic with SelecTrac" or whatever nonsense behind. OME springs cost about the same as any factory replacement, but I think even the light duty ones might provide a tiny bit of lift. Even if a light duty OME leaf spring happens to give you a little lift in the rear, slap a cheap budget boost on the front to level it out. A tiny boost won't snowball into requiring any special mods, and since you're using 30" tires, you'll be that much safer from rubbing.

If you're really that attached to your Monroes and/or stock ride height--I'm using Monroe Sensas right now; they get the job done, but I'm not terribly impressed by them--get some standard duty Crowns. I haven't seen many factory replacement manufacturers make anything other than heavy duty springs except for Crown. I've seen claims that Crown springs don't last very long though; not sure if that's true or not.

Relocating your shackles for a better shackle angle can also help improve your ride, so you might want to consider doing that along with your leaf spring replacement. It's plenty easy to do.
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Relocation generally brings 2"+ of lift in itself. And does nothing for the ride. Im my case, its made it worse.
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe I'm missing something here. Tim posted a lot of spring info about the heavy duty springs. Not much info about the standard duty springs.

Which of the standard duty OEM springs is the one I want for an XJ with 4L engine, AT, and Selec Trac Tcase? I don't find that info in what he posted. Am I missing something?

I wasn't going to have dealer do any work. Just help me figure out which OEM spring part number I want. They said they could do that if I get a VIN from an XJ that has springs I want.
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

You are missing it. And a few times people have told you to go with crown springs. Most aftermarket do not make standard duty or light duty springs, because the market is not there.

Quote:
Crown catalog part numbers:
84/01 Standard Duty (LL ) 4 leaf - Jeep P/N 52000051
Forget your engine, forget the TC, and forget the trans... that weight is up front, and is on the front springs. The rear of an XJ is relatively light.

We cant give you a code based on the criteria you are demanding. You know why? Because AMC / Jeep / Chrysler never used those criteria. Its a platform 12 years out of production. the dealership will buy whatever Omix Ada throws their way, install, and add their % and $70 an hour labor.
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

OK. Thanks for advice.

I'm thinking of adding gas tank skid and aftermarket rear bumper to add some weight to rear to soften ride a bit. At that point the springs I have will probably feel great.

And an added bonus will be addition of protection.

While I'm at it, I'll add skids everywhere else that needs protection and an aftermarket front bumper too. Probably soften ride up fron a bit too, even though front already rides good enough.

Probably a tailbone rear bumper system. Maybe a backbone front.

At that point, the tow package springs should be an asset and ride good too.

And yes, I am getting better riding shocks and am already playing with tire pressure.
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #24
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If you get a "light duty" spring and start adding all kinds of weight your just going to wear it out quicker and be left with a flat or reverse arched spring. Light duty springs are not made for extra weight. This is not rocket science and you are waaaaayyyy over thinking it. A light duty spring with a properly angled shackle will ride decent. After that its all shocks and tires like stated earlier in the post.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #25
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
If you get a "light duty" spring and start adding all kinds of weight your just going to wear it out quicker and be left with a flat or reverse arched spring. Light duty springs are not made for extra weight. This is not rocket science and you are waaaaayyyy over thinking it. A light duty spring with a properly angled shackle will ride decent. After that its all shocks and tires like stated earlier in the post.
You misread what I posted in my prior post #23. Please reread post #23. I said I decided to do add skid plates and bumper with the tow package springs I already have. i.e. - keep the tow package springs I have.

Which means I no longer need light duty springs.

Problem solved.
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #26
cja1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
OK. Thanks for advice.

I'm thinking of adding gas tank skid and aftermarket rear bumper to add some weight to rear to soften ride a bit. At that point the springs I have will probably feel great.

And an added bonus will be addition of protection.

While I'm at it, I'll add skids everywhere else that needs protection and an aftermarket front bumper too. Probably soften ride up fron a bit too, even though front already rides good enough.

Probably a tailbone rear bumper system. Maybe a backbone front.

At that point, the tow package springs should be an asset and ride good too.

And yes, I am getting better riding shocks and am already playing with tire pressure.
Do what you want and I see what you are getting at but you are going crazy with this! Talk about chasing something that probably is not there. My XJ w/OME 2" HD Springs rides a little softer with 500 lbs in the back and my 450 lb snowplow hanging off the front but its not a huge difference. A little bit of weight, relative to what I just said above, may leave you disappointed. Maybe not, hard to say.

Either way, I would suggest what nobody else has suggested yet and take it to a custom spring shop. Tell them what you want and I'm sure they can bang out something acceptable for you. This is what they do and it should be "no big deal" to them. Just be clear what you want.
cja1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #27
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

My 96 with OME standard duty 2" lift springs rode great with 700lbs of flooring in the back (wont do that again). But the rest of the frame said no.
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dealership finally got back to me

They say I have rear springs part number 52000706.

According to Jeep part number info (posted earlier) that is considered their heaviest standard spring. According to Crown part number info (posted earlier) that is one of their heavy duty springs.

I am convinced you guys are correct that a standard (non tow package) rear spring is part number 52000051 and it's that same part number for Dealer or Crown springs.

Also, as you said, it doesn't matter if Sport or Classic. Same rear springs for any trim package. What matter is if it is tow package, up country, or no special spring package.

If you take your VIN to a dealership parts department, they can tell you the part number of springs you have, but they can't tell spring rate.

Knowing part number is useful since it can be cross referenced with info posted earlier in this thread.

Also, you can bring dealer a VIN from another Jeep and they will tell spring part number for that Jeep. So I could do that for an XJ without tow package, if I still wanted to.

However, I decided to get Old Man Emu light load rear and weigh them down a little with an aftermarket gas tank and keep receiver hitch skidplate because I want 1" lift to run 30x9.5R15 tires. With gas tank skidplate and receiver, I think I'll net approx 1" to 1.25" lift.

---

How much do you think a receiver (such as stock receiver or a draw tight) weighs?
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #29
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update and Conclusion

It's (like you guys said) pretty simple, in hind sight.

Just go to Quadratec (or elsewhere) and order standard duty (light) springs for XJ, or heavy duty springs, whichever you want, front and rear both available.

Probably they are Crown springs. Quadratec doesn't say the manufacturer. I'm sure Crown or Omix-Ada. Probably Crown since their prices are better anx quality as good (or better).

Call QT and say I'm a JF member and shipping is free.

Simple as that ^.

However, I ordered Old Manu Emu rear from QT, and I already have OME front springs (from a TJ).

I'll have 1.25" to 1.5" lift (with skidplates).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.