XJ Steering Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Steering Upgrade

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 12-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Art101
2001 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Steering Upgrade

Ok so I am looking to upgrade my steering. I am more concerned about quality than I am concerned about parts. My rig is a 2001 xj, it has 6.5" lift with 35s, lockers, gears, axles out of a 99 xj. I have stock steering right now and it is loose and ****ty. My steering box is not loose, its got to be something else. What I want is super responsive steering, that is strong enough for the future hydro assist in the future. I hear currie is a good way to go. Send me some links and give me advice. Thanks.

Unread 12-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have the JCR 1-ton UTK steering. It's plenty beefy but if I could do it over, I would probably go Currie
- no reaming the knuckles or Pitman arm
- no "dead spot" in the steering

Only downside is that you cannot replace the tie-rod ends on the Currie - you gotta replace the whole drag link.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
beneharris
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Kevins offroad has a pretty good looking hd steerign. Its on sale right now too

Christian Jeep Member #133
beneharris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

If it is loose, I would make sure that your caster and toe-in are within specs. Also make sure the steering components are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeXJ View Post
If it is loose, I would make sure that your caster and toe-in are within specs. Also make sure the steering components are good.
He shouldn't even be running stock steering with 35's and 6.5" lift.

Go with a crossover steering setup. You are too high for the currie steering. It will work but you are pushing it.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

I agree. However, if he is, or didn't set the caster or toe-in correctly, that could definitely cause loose steering. That was what I was addressing as I don't have a lot of info on aftermarket steering short of the ZJ V8 tie rod upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
redhanded
2000 XJ Cherokee 

the kevins off road setup looks good. a little pricey, but its bolt in and looks beefy.
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeXJ View Post
I agree. However, if he is, or didn't set the caster or toe-in correctly, that could definitely cause loose steering. That was what I was addressing as I don't have a lot of info on aftermarket steering short of the ZJ V8 tie rod upgrade.
Yeah that's true.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
Art101
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ok so i found on the axle side mount of the tracbar, the bolt was too small allowing the whole trackbar to shift... got a bigger bolt and that made a freaking amazing difference... i am still looking into beefier steering though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.