xj steering box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > xj steering box

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-31-2006, 01:29 AM   #1
trev6q8z

xj steering box

My jeep has a heavy knook in the front when I turn the steering. A friend and myself are pretty sure it's the steering box. Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem with XJ's? I have owned XJ's for the past 6 years now and have not heard of this.

trev6q8z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2006, 01:58 AM   #2
XJING

Most likely not the steering box

Try the trackbar first, common on all xj's that the trackbar becomes loose on one side or the other, the other thing to do is jack the truck up and put stands behind the lower control arms. and have someone move the steering from right to left to see if anything is bent or binding. give all the components a good shake, you could have loose or worn TRE'S, but my bet is on the trackbar. Steering boxes get sloppy, unless you get in an accident you usually dont get a "knook" out of them Good Luck.
XJING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

You guys nee dto check teh steering box mount. These are prone to cracking especially with big tires and no bracing of any kind.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.