XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 01-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #106
01LimitedXJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

sealed is nice, personal favorite is free air.

Unread 01-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #107
rigRoller
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hey guys, just wondering where everyone else put their subwoofer/amp power cable through to the front of the car? There is a bundled bunch of wires almost directly under the steering wheel covered by a black rubber udder looking thing, would drilling a tight hole through this be acceptable? Or is there a better location I'm missing?
rigRoller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #108
Element96x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I gots a

1. a Pioneer DEH-4000ub head unit 190$ ( about a year ago)
2. 2 10' Kicker CVR's powered by 400.1 Kicker amp in a custom tuned ported box - 400$.
3. Front speakers - 2 Alpine Type R Componants, with custom door panels. Powered by an MTX 4 channel amp - 300$. 2 db polk audio coaxels for in the back (temp)
4. Stinger Cap + 4 guage jl audio wiring, and knu koncepts 4 channel +2 channel rca's - $100?
5. Installations like 400 total.
6. Having the loudest cherokee around my city? Priceless haha
Element96x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #109
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element96x View Post
I gots a

1. a Pioneer DEH-4000ub head unit 190$ ( about a year ago)
2. 2 10' Kicker CVR's powered by 400.1 Kicker amp in a custom tuned ported box - 400$.
3. Front speakers - 2 Alpine Type R Componants, with custom door panels. Powered by an MTX 4 channel amp - 300$. 2 db polk audio coaxels for in the back (temp)
4. Stinger Cap + 4 guage jl audio wiring, and knu koncepts 4 channel +2 channel rca's - $100?
5. Installations like 400 total.
6. Having the loudest cherokee around my city? Priceless haha
What is everyone else running where you live if 400 watts is the loudest in your city?
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #110
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigRoller View Post
Hey guys, just wondering where everyone else put their subwoofer/amp power cable through to the front of the car? There is a bundled bunch of wires almost directly under the steering wheel covered by a black rubber udder looking thing, would drilling a tight hole through this be acceptable? Or is there a better location I'm missing?
dont try to drill through the "udder", just put a slit in it with a knife and push the wire through. theres another one behind the glove box if that's closer to where you'd like to run the wire. Good luck!
bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 10:23 PM   #111
dementedwombat
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Mine isn't that great, but I think it sounds good.

Replaced the 4 stock speakers with 5-1/4" Polk Audio db's. I'm powering the Polk's off a TMA 240W 4 channel.

Added two Sony Xplod 10" subs along with the 800W 2 channel amp (the old red ones). I love the Xplods because they have great punch without much resonance. From outside the car it's impossible to tell I have subs running (except for the license plate rattling). That and they're capless so there's nothing to worry about blowing off.

I don't have a cap. I've had the stereo cranked with the headlights on and not noticed any dimming whatsoever (then again that might be the Optima Yellowtop). I think it might have something to do with the wiring. Every connector is soldered or butt-spliced.
Unread 01-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #112
spatulahunter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcjeeper View Post
Any luck fitting a DD size head unit in an '97+ XJ? I have always wanted to do so. I imagine it would take some fiberglass/balsa wood work on the center trim panel to look "factory".
I have a 98 with a ddin pioneer avh4000 dvd in it. It didnt require any fiberglass, just some cutting,abs plastic and a little fabrication/audio skill. If you want to try it let me know and ill give you some instructions.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...and****004.jpg
spatulahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 11:16 PM   #113
spatulahunter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...unter/ddin.jpg
sorry, first link was broken
Unread 02-01-2009, 02:50 AM   #114
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ive not seen anyone do it quite that simply, it looks good, if you can tell how to replicate it simply, please do share on the thread, its all about sharing info after all!
Unread 02-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #115
spatulahunter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It wasnt overly complex. I took off the radio bezel and measured how big the radio opening was vs how big it would have to be.
I then traced a double din trim ring around the hole so that all the material that i cut out would end up being cut from the bottom of the radio bezel.
Next i masked the area around my cut with 3 or 4 layers of masking tape (to keep from scratching the bezel if my air saw skipped).
Then, I very carefully trimmed out the hole until just the face (not the entire radio) would protrude from the factory trim bezel.
After the radio bezel is trimmed out you will also have to trim out the recess behind the bezel where the radio rests. In the process of this you will have to cut off at least one of the factory radio mounts (the bottom one if i remember correctly). I made all of these cuts with an airsaw but a dremel would also work well if you have one available.
Making the mounts for the double din was actually one of the hardest parts of this project since it involved a great deal of guesswork. I used metal radio back strapping to make the mounts (backstrapping if a flexible metal that can be used to make mounts and secure radios if their back is bouncing around). I bolted pieces of the back strapping to the ddin in the ISO-mount holes. I then bent them until one lined up with one of the factory radio mount holes and then I had to make a new hole mount for the other side. Like I said, this part took a lot of guess and check work, if anyone wants to try this pm and ill take it apart and take pictures of how i did the mounts.
The last step was making everything look good once the radio was mounted into its place. This required some 800 grit sandpaper (to smooth out all the cuts on the radio trim bezel) and some ABS plastic sheets to fill out the extra gaps on the sides of the radio. This was pretty simple and just required a few small pieces to be cut to fill in the gaps. The pieces are entirely aesthetic and do nothing to hold the radio so i just hot glued them to the back side of the radio bezel.

I think that covers most of the install but if there is anything i left out let me know and Ill be happy to add more.
Unread 02-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #116
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01LimitedXJ View Post
Clean setup Gman Vimb...I like the color match too haha.
Yes, worked out great! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
SO this is just a question because im curious to see what everyone else's opinions are. Do you prefer a tight sounding sealed box, or that loud, boomy ported sound?
to cast the first vote, I prefer sealed, though I'm currently running a ported one.
I actually like a sealed box as well, tighter bass. I am however very happy with the Infinity. It is a Dual Voice Coil and seems both boomy when needed (Rap/Hip Hop) and snappy when needed. This is my first sub with a slot port (vertical) and I was unsure weather or not I was going to like it. I am happy with the quality of the Bassworx box and the sub is an awesome all around sub.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #117
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So, random bit of advice for today, dont let an install shop talk you into spending hundreds on a cap if you dont need one, my two amplifiers draw up to 85 amps, and my lights dont dim no matter how much i crank it, so have a lil faith in that jeep alternator and your battery unless you're talking SERIOUS power. no use in spending 150-200 on a cap install you dont need!
Unread 02-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #118
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

btw "lights" in this case includes high beams plus an extra pair of 55w each halogen driving lights i added on, even with those not a hint of dimming.
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #119
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
So, random bit of advice for today, dont let an install shop talk you into spending hundreds on a cap if you dont need one, my two amplifiers draw up to 85 amps, and my lights dont dim no matter how much i crank it, so have a lil faith in that jeep alternator and your battery unless you're talking SERIOUS power. no use in spending 150-200 on a cap install you dont need!
Or look on ebay. I got a new sealed in the box Tsunami digital 1.2 Farad CAP for $49.00. It made a decent difference to the big bass hits even though I wasn't "dimming" too much. The cap also takes some of the strain off of your battery, altenator and your electrical system (amps/subs etc).

Same CAP here locally was $170.00!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #120
rettags
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You guys inspired me to drop new speakers in the soundbar and a couple in the rear doors. I took your advice and installed the door speakers in line with the roof ones. Mounting them in the doors was pretty straight forward, but I did need to trim about .25-.5" from the inside of the door as the opening wasn't quite big enough. I went with some Alpine Type R 5 1/4" coaxials, mostly for the fact that they are real inexpensive and because I already have the matching components and subs.

Next up, new radio and installing components and subs...

Awesome thread and thanks for the help!

rettags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
audio , audio components , jeep xj sound , sound system , stereo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.