XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 01-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #91
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyts View Post
Yes it wilol put out more power which I already stated in my post. But with that increased power means more heat in your amp (headunit) and slightly more distortion. Also you wouldnt want more power to the rear speakers then the front one. That would destroy your soundstage.

Hes not talking about wiring front and rear speakers together. He is talking about having two sets of rear speakers wired together (on the roof in a sound bar, and in the rear doors) And then the fronts running independently.
apologies i mistyped, i was referring to wiring both sets of rear speakers together, and the soundstage can be shifted back forward as easily as adjusting the fade control, and lets face it, without amplification and very good speakers, the extra distortion from wiring them in parallel is minimum at best, but the extra max volume is obvious to everyone. I was not saying its a superior option, but I wanted to share that it was a possiblity. No harm sharing all the options and thanks again for the input!

bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #92
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok. So my turn for a question for those with a lil more experience with different brands. Im looking for a new amp on a budget. i need 300-500 RMSx1 at 4ohm. (current subs 4ohm load 400RMS, desired upgrades the pair would take up to 520RMS at a flexible resistance, based on my chosen exact model). Im looking at fosgate, profile, and alpine. And ive used visonik (read: crap), Blau, and MTX amps on top of those. Suggestions?preferences? Opinions on factory refurbs?
Unread 01-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #93
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Ok. So my turn for a question for those with a lil more experience with different brands. Im looking for a new amp on a budget. i need 300-500 RMSx1 at 4ohm. (current subs 4ohm load 400RMS, desired upgrades the pair would take up to 520RMS at a flexible resistance, based on my chosen exact model). Im looking at fosgate, profile, and alpine. And ive used visonik (read: crap), Blau, and MTX amps on top of those. Suggestions?preferences? Opinions on factory refurbs?
Hands down - this one-
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=45
normally $220, on sale for $125
100W x 2 @ 4 Ohm
200W x 2 @ 2 Ohm
400W x 1 @ 4 Ohm
Height : 2.250"
Width : 9.850"
Length : 12.000"
Overall Length(w/ feet) : 13.100"

Its not a brand you mentioned but they are top notch and have great warranty and customer service. They design all of their own equipment ( not a rebadged generic item) and sell direct so no middle man markup.
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #94
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Never heard of em, but the Wattage ratings and draw sound right.....and it should have enough to push the subs i wanna replace the rockfords with too, though i think when i get a real amp they should come to life and i may keep em (i havent measured, but based on sound i swear my "360" watt visonik is puttin out more like....200. Thanks for the heads up seems like a great deal. I knew this thread was a good idea lol
Unread 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #95
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Never heard of em, but the Wattage ratings and draw sound right.....and it should have enough to push the subs i wanna replace the rockfords with too, though i think when i get a real amp they should come to life and i may keep em (i havent measured, but based on sound i swear my "360" watt visonik is puttin out more like....200. Thanks for the heads up seems like a great deal. I knew this thread was a good idea lol
They make real high quality stuff. They have a forum on their site too so you can hear more opinions from people that run their stuff. I had 3 of their EU-700 6.5" subs ( yes I said 6.5') in a ported enclosure I fiberglassed into the spare tire well of my focus. They hit harder then the kappa perfect 12 that was in there, and hard a marger Xmax (excursion) rating too.
Unread 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #96
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

with those surrounds it'd have to have a huge maximum excursion. And as my tastes have matured ive become a big fan of 6.5" and 8" subs. I really have no desire to compete and the smaller speaker provide an amazingly detailed and (depending on the enclosure) a much tighter, cleaner sound. I'll def keep them in mind in the future. I'm afraid its the curse of the fact that i just started this kinda stuff about a year and a half...so ive got the install experience from helping all my friends and ive done a lot for my age but i just havent been able to try out as many brands as some of you guys. or had the money for the JL or Focus types.
Unread 01-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #97
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyts View Post
Hands down - this one-
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=45
normally $220, on sale for $125
100W x 2 @ 4 Ohm
200W x 2 @ 2 Ohm
400W x 1 @ 4 Ohm
Height : 2.250"
Width : 9.850"
Length : 12.000"
Overall Length(w/ feet) : 13.100"

Its not a brand you mentioned but they are top notch and have great warranty and customer service. They design all of their own equipment ( not a rebadged generic item) and sell direct so no middle man markup.
X2 ed is a great company
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #98
xj5150
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Bluejunior, nice info & ideas but you all need to check out this sub fab/install. I did it per his guide w/little variance or trouble. Sounds killer and takes NO precious cargo room. Beats the pod price hands down http://http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97186[/URL]

Last edited by xj5150; 01-29-2009 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: change hyperlink
xj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #99
slvrathlon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ED is awesome for home audio... I've heard their car audio (Where their company started) is top notch.
slvrathlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #100
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The pod is one of my favorite suggestions cuz anyone can install it, all it takes is a power drill. That's def an awesome fab job, I'm just hesitant to suggest things since everyone has different levels of fabrication experience. Thanks again to everyone for the support and input, this thread really is becoming a good resource for ideas. Another note for those who may not have thought of it, ibe seen a large number of ppl cut speaker holes out of their rear gate plastic, and use the existing holes in the metal beaneath to house the magnet structures of the all-mighty 6X9. NO chance of keeping a factory look that way, but it can provide you with that precious mid-bass power that is SO hard to achieve without high end versions of the small round speakers that can be put in the doors and/or roof. they're hard on the hydraulic lifts for your gate, but those are easy to replace with beefier ones, and even my '01 wont hold the gate if its cold, so chances are you have or will have to replace them anyway. You lose the factory look, but a cheap pair of 6x9's puts out the bass depth and volume (if not clarity) equal to or beyond many good (good meaning polk, infinity, alpine, etc...we all know high-end stuff doesnt need that much help) 5 1/4's as a rear speaker. and though you'll never push them well, a head unit can drive these speakers to much better bass than the rear roof. Its something to keep in mind if you REALLY want better sound but are also, as i often am, REALLY not in a position to spend money on quality equipment. And if you're into having flashing speakers hanging out of your gate. As ive said, seen it done never done it. buts its an interesting idea i havent seen mentioned here.
Unread 01-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #101
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good thread....
I used to have a Dakota with a high end Alpine head unit and all JL Audio speakers. 2 6.5 Components upfront and 2 6.5 2 ways in the rear factory locations all. For the record, with some tuning the JL speakers have an amazing sound for the money I spent. I was running 2 x 10 Clarion Pro Audio 10" subs in an MTX Thunderform enclosure.... awesome setup.

My current ride....my XJ is running a Pioneer Premier head unit with full iPod and USB connectivity via a proper (included) iPod cable. It has a full 3 line OLE display and not only has full text display, but full search functions. I currently run an 8 GB High Speed (XPorter) USB thumb drive in the glove box....holds a lot of MP3's. I bought a 10 Infinity Dual Voice Coil sub in a Bassworx ported box and dropped a Premier 400 Watt class D amp and a Tsunami 1.2 Farrad cap on it. All connected with pro audio quality wiring.... which is all bolted nice and clean to the back of the box.

My speakers are a set of 6.5" Alpine's, 2 x 2 ways in the overhead rear locations (2000 XJ) that I added insulation to, and the fronts are a set of components. I mounted the tweets in the door panel about 6 inches above the mids to give it a little separation. For now (because I was lazy) I used the stock speaker leads front and rear, but I will be upgrading those this spring.

I WISH I could have squeezed the amp(s) and cap plus all the wiring into the rear seat compartment with a couple of vents, but alas, it was too big. I did look at the XJ rear panel box, but wanted a 10" sub again and got a SMOKIN deal on the combo I got.

I will be following this thread, to see how it evolves... looking forward to more techie stuff on Car Audio. I love the stuff, and need my audio fix on the way to work every day!

A couple of pics.

Infinity in box... just a fluke it was same color as Jeep (honest)

You can just see the Alpines in the door in this shot.... stealthy. Head unit in dash in a cheap *** fit kit (came with Jeep)

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #102
01LimitedXJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Clean setup Gman Vimb...I like the color match too haha.
Unread 01-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #103
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

a note on installing amps, if you remove that recessed portion of the panel just behind the right rear wheel well, then cover the hole, its a great place for all sorts of custom box work or just to stash an amp (if you cover the hole with something breathable, say color matched carpet, its very clean looking AND allows good airflow. Just a thought.
Unread 01-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #104
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

SO this is just a question because im curious to see what everyone else's opinions are. Do you prefer a tight sounding sealed box, or that loud, boomy ported sound?
to cast the first vote, I prefer sealed, though i'm currently running a ported one.
Unread 01-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #105
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I prefer a sealed box sound. Liked ported when I was younger but now theres always kids in the Jeep so I cant push the volume loud anyway, so I prefer the tight sealed sound.

Tags
audio , audio components , jeep xj sound , sound system , stereo system

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.