XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread

JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #706
94jettameowpsst

Just metered my jeep today and all sealed up on the windshield I put down a 151.1 @ 38 hz. I peaked high but I also hit a 149.5 @ 32hz also

94jettameowpsst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #707
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jettameowpsst View Post
Just metered my jeep today and all sealed up on the windshield I put down a 151.1 @ 38 hz. I peaked high but I also hit a 149.5 @ 32hz also
That's awesome!, did you post pictures of your setup earlier?
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #708
Mike934

I'm curious here guys. I'm no audio nut at all, far from it. I'm looking to upgrade what I have currently.
I have a alpine deck (cde-102) and 4x 5.25 Sony explode speakers in stock locations & factory speaks under the lower dash bezel. my jeeps a 1988. I don't want a sub, but I want some bass..not ALOT but some. I'm more of a mods/highs kinda guy, but a little bass would be nice.

Currently I can turn up the deck about 3/4 of the way before the speakers become distorted. Again I want some more highs in my ears, and some more bass. Preferably keeping stock locations, i dont mind modifying them to fit larger speakers eithe rbut wanna keep it simple.
And a new deck..been looking at the Alpine's iDA-X001 or something similar. I like its basic setup, blue tooth and what not. If I had a budget I'd say 200-300 on speakers & whatever the deck is but preferably around 200 as well. I don't mind running an amp either but would have to go under the rear seat or passenger seat.
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #709
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
I'm curious here guys. I'm no audio nut at all, far from it. I'm looking to upgrade what I have currently.
I have a alpine deck (cde-102) and 4x 5.25 Sony explode speakers in stock locations & factory speaks under the lower dash bezel. my jeeps a 1988. I don't want a sub, but I want some bass..not ALOT but some. I'm more of a mods/highs kinda guy, but a little bass would be nice.

Currently I can turn up the deck about 3/4 of the way before the speakers become distorted. Again I want some more highs in my ears, and some more bass. Preferably keeping stock locations, i dont mind modifying them to fit larger speakers eithe rbut wanna keep it simple.
And a new deck..been looking at the Alpine's iDA-X001 or something similar. I like its basic setup, blue tooth and what not. If I had a budget I'd say 200-300 on speakers & whatever the deck is but preferably around 200 as well. I don't mind running an amp either but would have to go under the rear seat or passenger seat.
If you're ok with cutting holes, I put 6.5's in all four doors running off a 4ch/ 500w amp. That's about all you'd need. The 102 sucks, I love Alpine, but that is their cheapest deck with very little sound options. High pass crossover would help you too. With little bass, you can set it at 70-80hz.
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #710
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Find some stock tweeters
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #711
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post

a small external amp with a pair of component speakers up front does WONDERS. A good amp will also make up for some shortcomings in your deck by adding things like a high-pass filter. That lets you pull out the bass that's too low for your speakers to really produce, so that what they can produce comes out cleaner and can go louder with less distortion. Doesn't have to be huge, you'd be surprised what 40-60 watts per channel to decent speakers sounds like. I have useful frequency response well into the 30's out of my Polk MOMO components.

I strongly suggest keeping an eye on craigslist for basic upgrades like you're asking for. I personally tend to look for polk, alpine or kicker speakers out of the big brands for use without a sub, and any 4-channel amp in a 40-60 watts per channel area would provide a HUGE increase in sound without taxing your electrical system or needing a capacitor or anything. To buy new, I believe alpine type-s components are pretty reasonably priced on sonicelectronix.com You could also pick your own components somewhere like partsexpress.com, picking your own can get better results for the money but takes more research.
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #712
NotSure

Just read 30+ pages and didn't find what I was looking for... So I've decided to sign up in hope that someone can help with my issue.

I recently bought a 2000 Cherokee with stock speakers and an after market Alpine head unit with interchangeable face with an AUX input.

About 2 weeks ago I began using the AUX input to play my iPod.

Since then, the head unit will intermittently cut off without fail any time the volume exceeds 14, or when around 12 or 13 when the A/C or heater is running or when putting up or down a window.

It will NOT cut out if I am just listening to the FM radio whilst trying any of the above to get it to cut out.

I replaced my battery the same time I bought the AUX cable to play my iPod. I've checked all kick panel fuses and all are fine. I've also pulled the head unit out far enough to inspect the rear for any issues, but aside from obvious broken or cracked wires, I don't know what I should be looking for

I've spent the last few hours searching the internet for help, but have come up short and any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
NotSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #713
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSure View Post
Just read 30+ pages and didn't find what I was looking for... So I've decided to sign up in hope that someone can help with my issue.

I recently bought a 2000 Cherokee with stock speakers and an after market Alpine head unit with interchangeable face with an AUX input.

Since then, the head unit will intermittently cut off without fail any time the volume exceeds 14, or when around 12 or 13 when the A/C or heater is running or when putting up or down a window.

It will NOT cut out if I am just listening to the FM radio whilst trying any of the above to get it to cut out.

I replaced my battery the same time I bought the AUX cable to play my iPod. I've checked all kick panel fuses and all are fine. I've also pulled the head unit out far enough to inspect the rear for any issues, but aside from obvious broken or cracked wires, I don't know what I should be looking for

I've spent the last few hours searching the internet for help, but have come up short and any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Is the deck plugged in with a harness, or is it hard wired? If there's no harness, it's possible the installer found an inadequate power source. The power being requested is overloading that circuit.
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #714
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSure View Post

Double-check your ground wire as well, I've seen head units (certainly not my own after I changed a cable in a hurry <<...<<...>>) manage to ground poorly through other parts of the wiring and run while the actual ground isn't connected. That would choke down the power and depending on the circuitry of your head unit might cause the problem you're describing (as well as being a serious risk to kill the unit permanently)
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #715
rrxjeeper71
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Not having A huge mechanical knowledge base I'm starting this thread to take questions on what I AM an expert at. XJ audio. I've installed four completely different sound systems in Cherokees, all of them beyond what internet fit guides claim is possible, and all but one able to withstand everything but a rockcrawler tumble of a cliff. I'm also great with Wranglers and CJ's and can figure out anything else. To give you an idea of what ive been able to do:

Cherokee: Four 6.5" speakers 2 5.25" and an 8" sub with no cargo space lost and all bolted in tight enough to take rollovers with nothing but a cd skip

Cherokee: Same speaker sizes with dual 10's and dual amps, has withstood spins, wrecks, and a couple trail rides

Wrangler: twin component 6.5" speakers with twin 8" subs, bolt on and marine rated...blows the crap out of a soundbar (although he kept that too)

Cherokee: four 5.25" speakers with a 10" sub bolted in.....tilt tested but not roll over (should work, just haven't tried it)

and of course, the stock upgrade, with all aftermarket marine rated speakers with better size and durability to drown out the muffler and survive the elements.

like i said open to all questions i can tell you where and what to get, how much it'll be and how to install it on a cherokee or wrangler and can help you with pretty much anything else. It seems frivolous but whats a jeep jamboree without tunes that can withstand the trails AND are loud enough to turn the whole site to a club when you take it camping?
please post pics of your setup!~!!!
rrxjeeper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #716
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That's not actually my set up anymore, my old jeep got totaled and I opted to go simpler with the new one (my hearing's already going and I'm 24, time to downsize). There are some pictures of rear door speaker installs farther back in the thread if that's what you're looking for. Not much to show of mine right now with the subs out and the speakers intentionally non-obtrusive.

Current:
Polk MOMO Components 6.5" front, 5.25" rear being powered by a 75Wx4 infinity amp.
Dayton Audio Ultimax UM10-22 waiting to go in a cubby enclosure. Will be powered by a Profile Baja 1000 amp running ~480W
Still running an old Kenwood MP828 head unit (5-volt preouts are awesome and the built in EQ/crossover controls are surprisingly good)

To-do's:
flush mount the tweets in the windshield columns and the pillars at the back of the rear windows.
get the box for the Ultimax in
clean up the underseat wiring

I do really like the location of the front tweeters, they're out of the way and the windshield does a good job of reflecting the sound back into the car. these particular tweets are a little harsh, so not having them pointed straight at the listener is a bonus for me. The rear ones.....well I was lazy and didn't have many of my tools with me, so they're just stuck on to one of the screws holding up the trim. Sounds good, though I have them eq'd down to account for being right in the listeners' ears.

Side note: the MOMO's are the only 5.25 speakers I've used that fit the factory holes perfectly. They're discontinued and getting harder to find, but they're by far my favorite car audio woofers (that I've used myself, obviously there are better in the world), and the tweeters do sound good once you get them toned down a bit (the "s" sound and high hats are REALLY harsh on a flat eq). They have a great volume/SQ balance and the doors actually have useful response into the low 30's if you treat them right.

My next post will have pics and I'll update with pics of the cubby sub once that box is installed.
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #717
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Pics
20131119_200706.jpg   20131119_200749.jpg   20131119_200935.jpg  
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #718
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you want a more clean look you could get the stock infinity tweeters, I have a couple sets I snagged from my junkyard every time I go
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #719
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Honestly I don't notice them at all now, but they will look better once I flush mount them. The stock tweets are a great add-on even to he stock paper cones, although I'd worry about them handling the power I'm running.
Unread 01-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #720
Mike934

Hey guys I'm trying to buy a set of 6.5 speaks for my xj. I have a alpine cde-102 deck which I plan to keep. And have a few choices of speakers to choice from, can anyone help me out? No amp will be installed, nor a sub. Just 4 speakers & the current deck.

Looking for a bit more bass & better/louder sounds over my current pioneer 5.25" are producing. I don't mind running 2 different brands incase 1 is better for lows and another is better for highs. I'm looking on ebay currently, my price is about 100 for all 4.

Speaker choices are,
Rockford Fosgate Prime R1653 Car Speakers 6.5" 2 Way Full Range Coaxial Audio
PIONEER TS-G1644R TSG1644R 6.5" G-Series 2-Way 250W Car Audio Speakers
Rockford Fosgate R1652S 2-Way 6.5" Car Speaker
Alpine SPE-6000 2-Way 6.5" Car Speaker
Mike934 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio , audio components , jeep xj sound , sound system , stereo system

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.