XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #31
jay1335
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think you are under estimating jl cause ill put together a set of 10w3 subs that will blow your mind You def know your crap dude!! But for knowing you stuff why do you have such a mixed and matched system in your jeep? (i'm not trying to bash on you here)

jay1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #32
jay1335
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Also you need to learn some fiberglass
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #33
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

EXCELLENT question the mixmatch is a result of my tight budget and the fact that most of what i learned i learned while trying things in my jeep. For example i put the alpines in the rear doors cuz they were on sale for 50 and i could do that, or keep sending 75W rms to my 45W rated polk DB5250's and blow my hundred dollar speakers, it was a stopgap not something i really would have chosen had i had my way. the system is a mixmatch of what was on sale, given the choice it would be POLK MOMO speakers and subs and profile amps only. those are my brands of choice. and fiberglass is GREAT if you have to tools to work with it lol, most ppl dont, so i dont suggest it. And i REALLY dont, cuz i live in a tiny dorm. I have the tools andfab equipment i can fit next to the 10's in my trunk.
bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #34
jay1335
1996 XJ Cherokee 

cool!! Fiberglass requires some basic tools nothing major. Its basically the less tools you have the more elbow grease you gotta put into it, but ive fiberglasses with next to nothing.... A jigsaw some wood and a garbage bag hahahaha The pain is getting it to look nice.
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #35
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

and im fairly certain my views may be skewed on JL audio cuz everyone i've seen use it is some rich kid who saw it on Pimp my Ride and bought it from the car audio joint in a package deal without bothering to invest in a real amp. So on second thought, the jury's out for me on there subs. I have heard some rave reviews, and seen a couple of competition setups that were INSANE, but ive just never seen someone drivin around with one that lives up to it in the trunk.
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #36
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

haha well my friends have a house, not a garage, but at least a house, maybe i can talk em into lettin me stash some tools there, cuz i've pretty much got the wood and fiberboard down....why not add a new dimension?
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #37
jay1335
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oh man im no rich kid and jl's w0 subs def suck and i know the type of people you talk about. I am in no ways one of them. I put my first jl system in the right way and went big on it and ever since them i am hooked on their speakers. I just havent heard anything better or been able to duplicate it myself with other speakers. It also matters what type of car they were in too. Speaker placement makes a big difference.
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #38
jay1335
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah man fiberglass opens up a world of options!!! You will start thinking of crazy places to put speakers once you get a handle on fiberglass
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #39
beaucaldwell
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i havnt't had subs in nearly 6 years since i had my supra. I had a 2 Audiobahn 12" pro compression subs from a 2400watt amp. After spending the ridiculous amount of money on that setup and then having my car smashed to bits, i havn't gotten another system.

I think for my XJ things can be less showy and way more simple. 1 10" should cover what I need. I'm definetly a bass head, but XJ's aren't exacltly the largest things in the world (interior-wise) and I think anything more than 1 10" or 12" is just unneccessary.

I like this guys setup and am thinking of doing something similar. Id rather have something like this than just a box that moves around, at least this way I gain storage space.

As for brands, I'm not sure what to go with anymore, have no clue what is good nowadays... Thoughts?
jeeps are like women, cost you more money then you have and never stop asking for more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidA
if you are driving at the speed of light and you turn on your headlights would anything happen?
beaucaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #40
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

it does, such is the greatest travesty in the XJ sound system, the speaker locations are terrible and theres not much room to work with for sub and amp add-ons that can be out of the way much less out of sight
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #41
jay1335
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well im biased towards jl i would recomend them to anyone.....
Going from there i would say you cant go wrong with any of the major brands....
MTX Alpine Kenwood ect ect
Im a big believer that you should use the same amp brand as your speakers. They were made to work together. But i have been known to use a zapco here and there, basically a company that make just amps and are made to produce kiss butt power!!
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #42
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

thats a good setup, ive not seen one like it before. And as to the brands, that all depends on your taste. Do you prefer loud boomy bass, or super tight detailed bass. For detail I'd look at Infinity and Polk. For A nice big Boom, Go to Kicker or on the cheaper side, MTX. Rockford and Alpine tend to offer a good balance of the two. Also, consider ported or sealed carefully. Sealed is smaller, but a ported box will get a lot more out of that mono sub and thats important. Size your box correctly for the sub. Crutchfield has excellent sizing guides in the descriptions of the products (even if you dont buy from them they are a GREAT knowledge bass). You might also look into JBL, they dont tend to be quite as clean as some of the other brands, but tend to be great on boom for the buck. And while my dual 10's rattle the car, my dad's got a mono 8 in a small sealed box that just fills the car with rich bass, so dont be afraid of the mono 10 or 8. just make sure you get a quality speaker (none of the orions or cheap wal-mart pioneers, they just dont sound good)
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #43
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1335 View Post
I think this thread needs some pictures
Here you go

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #44
jay1335
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice now go carpet hahahahaha
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #45
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1335 View Post
nice now go carpet hahahahaha
Pssh carpet is over rated
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio , audio components , jeep xj sound , sound system , stereo system

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.