XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Bluejunior just out of curiosity what speakers are you running right now?

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #17
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

it depends on the size of the amp, My dad (also an XJ) and I both have our sub amps mounted under the back seat, and have never had it overheat. Other than under the passenger seat is a good option (surprising amount of room) if you have a large sub box you can mount it on the back of that. (my speaker amp is mounted on the back of the subs hidden between them and the back seat...though it does overheat after about 2 1/2 hours of hard use. Additionally, if you have a long, flat amp like a lot of the blau and profiles tend to be they can often be mounted behind the panels in the trunk (you'd be amazed at the space back there). another option if its small is to mount it up behind the dash ( i have one amp that small, it could be mounted just behind and under the glovebox onto the firewall) beyond if all those fail you im not sure what to say (note that there are extra holes in the sliders on the seats, so depeding on the size of the amp you may be able to bolt it in suspended, keeping it from bouncing on the floorboards, providing better circulation and hiding it better. I would have to know the dimensions (or model number) of the amp to give you a better idea. feel free to PM me
bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Polk MOMO 6 1/2 components in the front doors (75W RMS EACH), Apline 6.5 Coax's in the rear doors (55RMS EACH) and Polk DB5250's in the rear roof (55RMS). The rear speakers will be replaced with MOMO to the rear roof and DB components to the doors (the best it gets that shallow unfortunately) ASAP. Subs are dual ten Rockford P2's getting 180 RMS each in the Rockford box pretuned for them (i'd prefer MOMO twelves in a sealed, but i spent a lot of time in areas where they'll ticket you for subs audible outside the car at the time i bought the subs)
Unread 01-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #19
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Polk MOMO 6 1/2 components in the front doors (75W RMS EACH), Apline 6.5 Coax's in the rear doors (55RMS EACH) and Polk DB5250's in the rear roof (55RMS). The rear speakers will be replaced with MOMO to the rear roof and DB components to the doors (the best it gets that shallow unfortunately) ASAP. Subs are dual ten Rockford P2's getting 180 RMS each in the Rockford box pretuned for them (i'd prefer MOMO twelves in a sealed, but i spent a lot of time in areas where they'll ticket you for subs audible outside the car at the time i bought the subs)
What amp are you using to push your door speakers? Yeah here they will ticket you as well if they hear you from 25 ft away.
May 2013 COTM
Unread 01-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i had several friends get busted, the cops where i was were anal lol. all speakers are being driven by a Blau THA475 its 75 watts rms at four ohms to the momos and then the 110 watts at two ohms is split between the rear alpines and polks. its a really good amp for quality and clean power, but it overheats like crazy (largely due to where i put it, but still its annoying when your system lasts 2 hours of the three hour trip too and from school)
Unread 01-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #21
patchouli

My jeep got broken into and the stereo ripped out. In the process, they broke the mounting tabs for the heater control unit, and the brackets for the stero mount. I am fabbing stuff out of sheet metal to remount all the stuff.

In the meantime, What are the different wires? I have an 88 xj. They did such a bad job on the theft, that I'm left with just a mess of wires.
patchouli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #22
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
My jeep got broken into and the stereo ripped out. In the process, they broke the mounting tabs for the heater control unit, and the brackets for the stero mount. I am fabbing stuff out of sheet metal to remount all the stuff.

In the meantime, What are the different wires? I have an 88 xj. They did such a bad job on the theft, that I'm left with just a mess of wires.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1150.html

Theres a chart that will tell you all the wire color codes.
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
i had several friends get busted, the cops where i was were anal lol. all speakers are being driven by a Blau THA475 its 75 watts rms at four ohms to the momos and then the 110 watts at two ohms is split between the rear alpines and polks. its a really good amp for quality and clean power, but it overheats like crazy (largely due to where i put it, but still its annoying when your system lasts 2 hours of the three hour trip too and from school)
Is your amp under your back seat?
May 2013 COTM
Unread 01-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #24
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

where would you mount the 8 inch sub? i have my amp screwed to the back of the rear seat and the sub just chilling in the cargo area. i would love to hide the amp and get an 8 that is out of the way.
cademan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #25
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

alexrule123 my sub amp is under the backseat but the speaker amp is too long for that, though it is VERY thin and be mounted many places. My speaker amp is mounted on the back of the sub box and thereby hidden between it and the back seat, it would also fit nicely under either front seat, its long and a lil wide but thin enough you could even mount it onto the panel in on the drivers side rear compartment (the weight requires that you mount through the plastic and into the sheet metal-amps are heavy NEVER mount them on thin panel plastic alone.

Cademan04
well the best way to get an 8" sub in a cherokee is the select increments xj pod (my dad uses one and loves it):
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_663XJPO...od.html?tp=131 this is a link to the crutchfield one, whom i SWEAR by for customer service and reliability (ive flat out blown speakers knowing they couldnt take the power, and not only did they replace them for free they even pay the shipping, thats just one instance)
google "select increments XJ pod" and you can prolly find it for less. as to the amp, like i said the most common two places are under the rear seat (i removed the lil mechanical jack taking up space under there long ago, its in my tool box, but you should still be able to leave the jack there and put the amp on the other side) or if its a larger amp, put it under the passenger seat, it shortens the power lead, putting less strain and heat on the cable and theres a lot of space
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #26
jay1335
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think this thread needs some pictures
jay1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #27
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Given a few days I'll put up pictures of my setup, then others as i see them again to give ideas, but for now i am away from all the projects except for my own XJ and i dont have a camera. I'll get them up as soon as i can though.
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #28
jay1335
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds good!! So what your opinion of jl audio?
jay1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #29
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

other than the select increments pod, for mounting an 8" not in the cargo area....i must admit i did this in a Tracker not a jeep I'm not sure if the jeep has enough space. but i have built a box that fit under a front seat (non-power) to hold a pretty shallow 8" sub. You could try to fab and paint a medium density fiberboard enclosure that mimiced the pod, but other than that or something like this guy has done: http://rides.webshots.com/album/557789937gyBMzK that requires you to mount your spare elsewhere, but its very unobstrusive...
you're pretty much stuck with it in the cargo area, though you can run a strap from its box down to the bolts that hold in the seat belt to hold it steady in the compartment, or run similar straps screwed into the box to the luggage hooks. its not as good as a custom mounted enclosure, but certainly better than a box sliding around
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #30
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

JL audio is a great brand, but i think they're a bit overprice, they're a flat sound-stage speaker brand that tends to be well balanced between volume, bass and sound quality. I just dont use them because i think polk gets the same job done for less. Certainly a great speakerbrand though, feed them the power they deserve and they'll serve you well i guarantee it. On the subwoofer side of things though, i think they're WAY overpriced, my friends got a pair of cheaply built mtx 12's in a sealed box (the subs and the box were a package deal from a name brand dealer for 130, i mean CHEAP) and they blow away the 3 10" sub array JL sells preassembled. I'd use there speakers but i'd go with something more like mtx, infinti, polk or better yet kicker or rockford for the subs.

Tags
audio , audio components , jeep xj sound , sound system , stereo system

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.