XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 06-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #196
NickThePyro
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I went up to Stereo Warehouse and got a Pioneer DEH-690UB and 2 pairs of Boston Acoustic SX-55 component speakers. I put an ipod jack in the glove box so I have access to 7000 songs at any given time.

Got ahold of the good guys at Fi Car Audio and had them make me a 12" Q with the full power options. The sub weighs in at 30 pounds on the dot and is a beast to say the least. I also picked up a Kicker ZX1000.1 that is pushing over 1000 watts RMS. Also have all the RCAs, distribution blocks, small wire, fuses, and 60 feet of true 0 gauge wire.

I got a ZX350.4 for my component speekers but im not sure if I want to wire it up since it will be a pita to rip out all the old wire and run all new wire.

A local guy I am buddies with, and who has a system pushing 150dbs, is currently building me this box custom for the sub.

2.5 cubic feet tuned to 33hz. 24'' wide x 15'' high x 19'' deep. 2.5'' wide port, port painted black, box painted speckled grey, and 33.75 inches of port area. Wood is 3/4" MDF.

Box all completed.

Mock up

glue sides

painting port

masking port

painting outside

more paint

Finished. The textured paint looks very cool in person!

Gutted and ran all 0 gauge

Unread 06-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #197
NickThePyro
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Last night I finished installing the stereo stuff. Lets just say overkill is an understatement.

I ran all the wires under the carpet all the way back. All wires are hidden, very clean isntall.

Soldered all the wires, no crimping

0 Gauge positive distribution block

Drilled holes for the power wires on drivers side

Remote bass controll

Kicker ZX350.4 wired up

Kicker ZX1000.1 wired up

Programming the head unit.
Unread 06-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #198
driverdave
1989 MJ Comanche 

My XJ system consisted of 6 1/2 in all 4 doors plus in the hatch, set of tweeters in that little blank spot next to the door lock, back doors also had 4"speakers, the dash those little vents I put 4x6 plate spearker, 3 amps, 1 external cross over and 12 disc changer mounted onto a set of 12" subs box bolted to the floor. I ended up running a second battery just for my system, head lights went to the beat of the music to much. I also have a 3 farad capacitor, It looks just like an amp and its under the back seat. Its about 1,200 watts total, plenty for me.
My MJ has a set of 6 1/2 in doors, plate speakers in the rear lower vents a foot or so above those are 5 1/4 mounted in the trim panel and 2 6 1/2 Bazooka Bass tubes, speakers are run to amp and deck, the amps are under the seat a 6 disc changer in my center console.
driverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #199
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

i just found a nice sub box sitting at my neighbors curb! talka bout a score. now im gonna go and have to buy two subs haha
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #200
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThePyro View Post
Last night I finished installing the stereo stuff. Lets just say overkill is an understatement.

I ran all the wires under the carpet all the way back. All wires are hidden, very clean isntall.

Drilled holes for the power wires on drivers side

Please tell me you put some grommets around those power wires after you took that picture. Otherwise those nice sharp holes you drilled will soon cut thru the insulation leading to the possibility of a nice electrical fire for ya.

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #201
99FormulaM6
2007 WK 

I just installed a Kenwood MP342U headunit and 2 Infinity Reference 6022i's in the front doors.

I know it's not the best setup, but it sounds soooo much better compared to when I first got the Xj 2 weeks ago. It had the basic am/fm radio (no tape or cd player) and the driver speaker was blown.

I went with the receiver that I did based on price and reviews. Its 22W RMS and 50W peak. I used the 6022i's because I had them in my previous vehicle and took them out after a few weeks. So they have been sitting in the box for about 1 1/2 years. I was worried since they were 6.5'' they would be too big, but they fit perfect in the front doors. Didnt even have to drill new holes or anything

I eventually with upgrade even more with some components and maybe a sub, but Im not an audiophile or anything, so what I have sounds damn good to me at the moment.

How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement for WK/XK
99FormulaM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #202
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Just got a DEH 550 installed. Pretty nice for an older deck.

Anyone here have any opinion on cat5 for signal lines? I'm giving it a try in a week or so and am looking for input.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #203
Fir3Chi3f
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepishop View Post
Anyone here have any opinion on cat5 for signal lines? I'm giving it a try in a week or so and am looking for input.
Not much of an audiophile but I'm quite a computer geek. I'd imagine higher category cable will behave better for audio applications, like cat6. I believe geek squad sells cat7 at best buy

For the ultimate though <- that had better be some fine piece of cable.

My headlining write-up
Fir3Chi3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #204
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3Chi3f View Post
Not much of an audiophile but I'm quite a computer geek. I'd imagine higher category cable will behave better for audio applications, like cat6. I believe geek squad sells cat7 at best buy

For the ultimate though <- that had better be some fine piece of cable.
I was just going to cut off the ends and solder RCA plugs to each pair. That gives me 4 channels. Just trying to decide if I want solid or stranded wire and such.

$500 for 5 feet? Holy ****....

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #205
Fir3Chi3f
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepishop View Post
I was just going to cut off the ends and solder RCA plugs to each pair. That gives me 4 channels. Just trying to decide if I want solid or stranded wire and such.

$500 for 5 feet? Holy ****....
I'm now thinking that you originally wanted to use cat5 because that is what you had lying around correct?

Well now I'm thinking that high cat. of wire wouldn't help to much because the gauge on all ethernet is generally 24. That is still kinda small for audio but I don't think you can go any worse than the stock wire

Go for it and tell us what you think of how it works

p.s. I keep that link around for just this kinda occasion by the way

My headlining write-up
Fir3Chi3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #206
Jameslol
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Here is my alpine head unit, got it for free when my kenwood took a dump.

My horrible subwoofer and my crappy wooden storage box, like the spray paint?

Double sound bars with some pioneers, powered off the headunit so you know they sound sick.

This is my baby but im too poor to replace my amp with one that will actually power this monster. It was a beast when i had it up and running, have a horrible capacitor where the allen screw stripped out and caused me to touch the positive and negative with the allen key, bye bye best amp.

Im down to 1 200 watt crappy amp which i originally used to power 1 set of speakers. had 2 amps for the speakers and 1 600 for the sub, too poor to replace it.

I hate my subwoofer. :|
C4x4 Front tow hooks.
Nates 4x4 rear bumper w/receiver and shackles
Iron rock offroad double shear adj trackbar
Jameslol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #207
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThePyro View Post

I tried to get Fi to re-cone my 15" soundsplinter Rl-p but it was going to take them over a month to get it finished so I got a smaller place to re-cone it

So how are you liking your setup?
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #208
eliassami5
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
lol bad choice on the Head Unit..ive got an pioneer 4000 and absolutely despize it and wanna smash it. You will know what im talking about when you start listening to your 7000 songs. Ive only got 2000 and wow i wanna pull my ****ing hair out.

Oh and btw the best sub and port config for a SUV is sub up port back. Sub up and port up is also very good in a cherokee. And i commend you for going with Fi subs...at least someone on this forum has a clue about real car audio.

Here are some pics of my system, ive got a temp sub setup for now but iv spent a lot of my audio money on my volvo so thats gonna be on hold for a bit.

some door pods i made from fiberglass:

alpine for highs:

pioneer 4000..hate it:

$30 HiFonics subs, HiFonics 1000 watt amp, 0 gauge wire (not shown in pics). The box is now ported tuned to 35hz for each sub:

A-pillar speaker pods comming soon

Last edited by eliassami5; 06-07-2009 at 10:39 PM..
eliassami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #209
JarWithLid
1985 CJ7 

I thought I'd keep this great thread alive with what I installed last night.

Sony CDX-GT730UI Head Unit. Front USB iPod adapter is awesome. Works better than expected. Searching for songs is MUCH EASIER than with an alpine.

Wiring for sub under back seat. Didn't cut it down b/c the amp position is probably not permanent.

Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 10" Sub. Need to get a grill for the box.

I also have 4 Alpine Type-S 5.25" installed.

Sounds great. So happy.
1982 XS650 Bobber
1966 Honda CB160 Race Project
JarWithLid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #210
NickThePyro
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
I tried to get Fi to re-cone my 15" soundsplinter Rl-p but it was going to take them over a month to get it finished so I got a smaller place to re-cone it

So how are you liking your setup?
I love it, it is just stupid effing loud. But is fun to just watch everything shake like mad and scare people who dont know how powerful it truly is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliassami5 View Post
lol bad choice on the Head Unit..ive got an pioneer 4000 and absolutely despize it and wanna smash it. You will know what im talking about when you start listening to your 7000 songs. Ive only got 2000 and wow i wanna pull my ****ing hair out.
I like it actually. I just create playlists with about 150 songs each with a different theme so I can play depending on my mood.

Tags
audio , audio components , jeep xj sound , sound system , stereo system

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.