XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #136
lectrode
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I see more than messy RCA's. I don't think you are as good as you think you are.You should listen and learn from guys like XJ Jay.And XJ Jay is right about the rear fill.When you are at a concert the band is in front not behind you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
additionally, while I did NOT pull the door panels off in the freezing temperatures in the parking garage last night, but here's where my amps and subs are located, as well as where i mounted my tweeters (havent gotten around to flush mounting them yet.
The subs:

sub amp under the rear bench:

The speaker amp (only visible because the seat is folded down, its hidden between the back seat and the subs):

The door-mounted tweets (i personally like the soundstage it creates):

not sure how helpful this will be but i tossed a pic of the rear door speakers in here:

more pics to come when i have time, space and non-freezing temperatures (or at least a jacket lol), which will be more helpful on the speaker install.

lectrode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #137
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyts View Post
Impressive sub but I wouldnt have enough amp to power it I think I need something a little more efficient as the amp will only put out around 150 at 2ohm
its not a perfect match but it'd work just fine
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065G110...44.html?tp=111

Not sure the specs on your amp but if its 1ohm stable this one could work just fine:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...on+C2+102.html

i actually dont know of any 10" that meet those exact specs.
bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #138
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

and in response to comments on my install job and knowledge, I've only been doing this sort of thing for about a year and a half, so of course there are people here who know more than I do. I am NOT an IASCA competitor, do NOT have this system for it, and never claimed that the install in my jeep was all that good. Its the car ive used for lots of experimentation, and the wiring is a lil off because ive had a few amps in different places and still plan on replacing again, and i figured it was easier to leave a couple extra feet of wire than to run new ones or try to splice into the old when the amps move again. I fully recognize that at concerts the sound is in front of you, but then again, I don't really like concerts much. I prefer a more surrounded feel, potentially a result of my synthesia but whatever. And regardless of how good I am or am not, it was not my intent to use this thread as a forum to brag and welcome any and all outside input. Such influences can serve at worst to tell me something I know now, and usually add new information.

Thanks and Gig'Em
Unread 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #139
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think Im going to give Tang Band subs a try. Now just to decide between-
2 if these

or 1 of these
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #140
NickThePyro
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderman View Post
Fi is a great sub i have a single 12 (ssd) in mine and its pushing 900Watts
Yeah they make awesome stuff. I almost got the SSD but decided to step up to the loaded Q for a little more. I cant wait finally get it in.

Also who has mounted kicker amps under the bench seat. I am concerned with them getting to hot down there.
Unread 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #141
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyts View Post
I think Im going to give Tang Band subs a try. Now just to decide between-
2 if these

or 1 of these
I'd go with the pair of 6.5's...you loose 8hz of frequency response, but i love the way small subs in small boxes sound, very clean and very tight. Unless you're big into hip-hop or electronica and need as low of a response as possible, in which case you should prolly go with the bigger sub.
Unread 02-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #142
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThePyro View Post
Yeah they make awesome stuff. I almost got the SSD but decided to step up to the loaded Q for a little more. I cant wait finally get it in.

Also who has mounted kicker amps under the bench seat. I am concerned with them getting to hot down there.
I've not done it with kicker amps, but ive had profile, visonik and infinity under there without ANY problems with overheating.
Unread 02-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #143
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
I'd go with the pair of 6.5's...you loose 8hz of frequency response, but i love the way small subs in small boxes sound, very clean and very tight. Unless you're big into hip-hop or electronica and need as low of a response as possible, in which case you should prolly go with the bigger sub.
Well I do listen to a lot of hip hop/rap but also alot of rock. Im not overly concerned with the loss of that little frec response though. According to the math the 2 smaller subs would have 16.10 sq inches of extra cone area over the single 8.

I think if I can round up the cash Im going to go with the 2 6.5's. Well If I can squeeze both of them into a cuibby hole enclosure that is.
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #144
fenderman

Quote:

One thing i hate is all the people they like their big and bad with their stuff they got at best buy. To they sit in my truck and are amazed how good it sounds. and once i started stating the companies their like who the hell is that. Also their amazed that all in all my step cost a little over 15.
fenderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #145
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I had my Diamond 400.2 under the back seat and I had to hook up an 80mm fan under there to keep it from over heating and it is only a 400 watt amp.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #146
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ill cut you some slack on the prefab box. not everyone can modle a sub box out. but the lack of termiantion on all your wires is bad. and by termination i mean crimp on terminal. the fact that all your speaker wire is all over the place. yes RCAs cant be cut down easyly/neatly but they can be coiled up and tied. also tweeters surface mounted is kinda chummy but not every wants to hack up factory pannles but your could move them a bit higher to bring the sound stage up. your an newb to car audio and trying hard, but you have come off as a bit of a know it all, trust me dude, theres alot to know.
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #147
great-white
1999 XJ Cherokee 

does any one have pics on a rear door speaker install
?

or even a mark up on it?

i plan on using 6.5" alpine type r shallow mounts
great-white is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #148
01LimitedXJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
ill cut you some slack on the prefab box. not everyone can modle a sub box out. but the lack of termiantion on all your wires is bad. and by termination i mean crimp on terminal. the fact that all your speaker wire is all over the place. yes RCAs cant be cut down easyly/neatly but they can be coiled up and tied. also tweeters surface mounted is kinda chummy but not every wants to hack up factory pannles but your could move them a bit higher to bring the sound stage up. your an newb to car audio and trying hard, but you have come off as a bit of a know it all, trust me dude, theres alot to know.
Ive actually found it sounds better to keep the tweeter pretty close to the speaker (under a foot or so), although this of course makes the mounting a little bit harder, since that pretty much rules out the dash. its not do hard to cut a hole and mount the tweet in there, i'd be afraid of knocking it off with my knee by accident if i left it hanging it out like he's got. You can also angle the speaker and the tweeter so the sound comes up at you, not blasting at your legs.

As for building a sub box...eh, Ive done it alot, but this last time i just got lazy. found a prebuild box for my 15"s that actually matches the carpet and fits prefectly...and its around the right volume.
Unread 02-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #149
lectrode
1987 XJ Cherokee 

You can always go with kick panels,this is a set I made.

That was my 6-1/2" midbass,4" midrange & 1" highs.Then I modified them to accept the 4" midrange's and put the 6 1/2"'s in the doors.

The first set were Kicker's and the second set were CDT HD series.
Was going to cover the door panels but I yanked it all out instead.
Unread 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #150
lectrode
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Some more stuff I made.This is a Massive Audio 18" with
interchangable ports,I made four different ports ranging in freq.
The box is 1 1/4" MDF on sides and bottom,the top is double 3/4" MDF
with 5/8" threaded rod,inside corner bracing and fiberglass.
Won the Texas Heatwave USAC SPL in 03,151-300W Super Stock with
a 152.1dB.

Last edited by lectrode; 02-05-2009 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: add pic

Tags
audio , audio components , jeep xj sound , sound system , stereo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.