JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/xj-screamers-cherokee-audio-thread-680594/)

bluejunior 01-27-2009 11:20 AM

XJ Screamers-The cherokee audio thread

Not having A huge mechanical knowledge base I'm starting this thread to take questions on what I AM an expert at. XJ audio. I've installed four completely different sound systems in Cherokees, all of them beyond what internet fit guides claim is possible, and all but one able to withstand everything but a rockcrawler tumble of a cliff. I'm also great with Wranglers and CJ's and can figure out anything else. To give you an idea of what ive been able to do:

Cherokee: Four 6.5" speakers 2 5.25" and an 8" sub with no cargo space lost and all bolted in tight enough to take rollovers with nothing but a cd skip

Cherokee: Same speaker sizes with dual 10's and dual amps, has withstood spins, wrecks, and a couple trail rides

Wrangler: twin component 6.5" speakers with twin 8" subs, bolt on and marine rated...blows the crap out of a soundbar (although he kept that too)

Cherokee: four 5.25" speakers with a 10" sub bolted in.....tilt tested but not roll over (should work, just haven't tried it)

and of course, the stock upgrade, with all aftermarket marine rated speakers with better size and durability to drown out the muffler and survive the elements.

like i said open to all questions i can tell you where and what to get, how much it'll be and how to install it on a cherokee or wrangler and can help you with pretty much anything else. It seems frivolous but whats a jeep jamboree without tunes that can withstand the trails AND are loud enough to turn the whole site to a club when you take it camping?

nfleming317 01-27-2009 11:24 AM

In the cherokees where did you locate the 3 pairs of component speakers? the 2 sets of 6.5" and 1 set of 5.25"?

bluejunior 01-27-2009 11:33 AM

Not components...that build was in an 01 body style.
in all cherokees with what audio sites call 5.25" front speakers you can mount most 6.5" speakers, the only modification is drilling new holes in the sheet metal of the door for screws (just keep the mounting depth below 2 11/16" thats what my momo front components are and they BARELY touch the windows, though they still roll all the way down) if you pull of the rear door panel theres a location practically tailor made for a 6.5" speaker(2 3/8" or shallower) which could also fit a 5x7 or maybe even 6x8 if you cut the sheet metal. once again just drill the screw holes and this time drill a large number of small holes in the door panel over the speaker after scraping off the insulation inside the door panel to create a speaker panel. Then for power run them in parallel with the rear speakers, run the wires under through the same rubber tube going to the door that the window motor/power lock wires use. then put the last set in the rear roof or the rear gate, depending on your year model and factory location. those you have to stick to 5.25" for the rear roof or 4" for the rear gate, though if you're willing to cut sheet metal you can get bigger ones into the rear gate.

bluejunior 01-27-2009 11:35 AM

i did install components in the front and rear doors by cutting the plastic door panel for a flush mount, that just takes a hole saw of the right size, you can also surface mount tweets with just a single screw-sized hole drilled in the door panel (rather than the 1-2 inch hole for a flush mounted tweeter)

kboyts 01-27-2009 11:41 AM

not trying to be a prick or anything, but bolting in a couple sets of door speakers and tossing in a sub box makes you a XJ audio expert?

nfleming317 01-27-2009 11:46 AM

Ya i was just wondering about the rear doors... Nice to know this as I don't like the sound from my rear seats. (sound from front seats and tailgating with the rear hatch open is great). I have 5 1/4" infinity components front and rear. I may be in the market for another set now.

bluejunior 01-27-2009 11:50 AM

A lot of times the problem with infinities is that they sacrifice fill and midbass for sound detail. if you're looking at rear door speakers consider components with a flatter frequency response like polk, alpine, or jbl and instead of installing the tweeter, simply put a resistor of the same resistance as the tweets impedence. this creates a mid-range driver that fills your car with a more authoritative sound, without using so many tweets your ears bleed.

bluejunior 01-27-2009 11:53 AM

also newer infinity and JBL speakers are a 2-ohm impedence, so make sure of that before wiring another set in parallel, because two 2ohm speakers in parallel create a one ohm load which can blow many amps. if they ARE two ohms, wire them in series (the negative lead of one pair going to the positive of the other rather than directly back to the amp) for a stable 4ohm load

bluejunior 01-27-2009 12:02 PM

And in response to a much earlier comment by kboyts the months of research interior deconstruction and construction i do in between projects helps with the expertise so does frequenting audio competitions and the numerous OTHER systems ive built which have earned me a huge amount of audio experience. I've torn out "high end" nine speaker systems from altimas, created all new locations in Trackers, built custom boxes for small and large pickups dealt with in door and rear deck speakers and custom mounted subs in compacts and sedans and am a true audiophile at heart, when i get bored, i look up the latest enclosures, amps and speaker series. And thats just the car audio. I could go on for a while but at this point I've gone from obnoxiously defensive straight into pretentious. Point being. I know what im talking about, I do my research, and I've seen and played with more different setups than anyone i know short of an IASCA judge. My own XJ has been through Three full from scratch systems as i learned more from working on others' XJ's.

bluejunior 01-27-2009 01:27 PM

In the interest of sharing ideas and keeping a thread I think can provide some useful information, this is the first of many random and unprompted tips to come for those scanning through for info or a quick read. Profile brand amps are solid aluminum and in my opinon the best value for the money you can get in an amp. if screwed in properly, they'll survive the most jarring trails with ease, as well has having your tow chains and boots hit em hard. Plug an Mp3 player directly into its RCA jacks with a simple adapter, link it to some marine rated speakers, and now you have a system that will never skip due to jarring or impact, survives the elements, and doesnt involve expensive and overly priced headunits and "name brand" audio equipment for your trail ride. The best place to find profile amps as well as polk speakers (with their legendary resistance to the elements) is crutchfield.com

Addition to this comment based on later protests: The Ipod, owner of one of the most powerful amplifiers in the MP3 player world, has a maximum battery output of 3.7 volts. Given that high end head units pre-amp outputs are 3 to 5 volts and many amps feature gain adjustments to accomodate up to six volts, using a headphone minijack to stereo rca cable (simply use splitters to establish four channel sound) it would be difficult to burn out your amp's inputs on purpose with an ipod or any other mp3 player, much less on accident. just remember that charging the i pod while its plugged in will create a feedback loop (it'll whine really loud and be obnoxious) in many configurations and do NOT amplify the signal from the ipod in anyway prior to its reaching the amp, unless it is by plugging it in to an appropriate aux input on your head unit.

okcjeeper 01-27-2009 01:34 PM

Any luck fitting a DD size head unit in an '97+ XJ? I have always wanted to do so. I imagine it would take some fiberglass/balsa wood work on the center trim panel to look "factory".

kboyts 01-27-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejunior (Post 6446281)
In the interest of sharing ideas and keeping a thread I think can provide some useful information, this is the first of many random and unprompted tips to come for those scanning through for info or a quick read. Profile brand amps are solid aluminum and in my opinon the best value for the money you can get in an amp. if screwed in properly, they'll survive the most jarring trails with ease, as well has having your tow chains and boots hit em hard. Plug an Mp3 player directly into its RCA jacks with a simple adapter, link it to some marine rated speakers, and now you have a system that will never skip due to jarring or impact, survives the elements, and doesnt involve expensive and overly priced headunits and "name brand" audio equipment for your trail ride. The best place to find profile amps as well as polk speakers (with their legendary resistance to the elements) is crutchfield.com

LOL, and the high level output of that MP3 player will fry the low level RCA inputs on your amp. You just proved your level of "expertise" with that one sorry. :thumbdown:

As well as crutchfield not being the best place to find anything as they are overpriced. Sure they include all the mounting hardware and wirein harness if you buy a headunit or speakers wich is nice. But Most everything they sell can be found cheaper elsewhere.

bluejunior 01-27-2009 02:02 PM

the compartment is large enough, but you'll have to fab your own mounting bracket and cut into that dash piece. its doable, but its difficult to make it look factory. I have to ask why the double din. Fold-outs can give the touch screen dvd functions and single din receivers can make great audio system centers. this is a build that adds a touch screen of similar size to a double din receiver to the dash, if you go through the thread theres some good pics of him fabbing the new dash piece out of a junkyard one. the screen looks factory. your exact method will vary based on the receiver. You can just cut out what part of that dash piece is in your way.

xjsport96 01-27-2009 02:06 PM

Any ideas on where to mount an amp without it being seen?

bluejunior 01-27-2009 02:08 PM

i ran that ipod-profile setup in my jeep for over a year. profile amps use an adapter to take speaker level inputs through their rca inputs and can deal with higher voltage inputs. I do not appreciate the condescension. (on an interesting note i used the same ipod adapter with an infinity basslink for 6 months without issue as well). And yes, discount sites will give you a much better deal. But when you blow the **** out of your speakers cuz you sent them twice the wattage they're rated for or short out your amp (cuz yes i was once as dumb as you seem so determined to make me seem) because you forget to hook up the ground wire, they'll not only exchange it for a new one, they'll even pay the shipping. There's more than just the base price to consider.

The time now is 12:32 AM.