XJ Running Hot! Ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Running Hot! Ideas?

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
mula

XJ Running Hot! Ideas?

I really need some help on this one guys. I have a 92 Cherokee with the 4.0 and auto trans.
Heres a quick history of whats going on, and whats been done.
I got the vehicle after the previous owner overheated it and cracked the head.
The vehicle had 180K miles on it. Ultra clean with a 3" lift, for $800. I thought it to be a good deal.
I bought a junkyard head. Brought it to a machine shop and had it checked out. They said it was fine, and just needed new valve guide seals and springs.
I flushed out the block really well for about 15 minutes. Nothing but clear water for at least 10 of the 15. New water pump, thermostat (185), both sensors, hoses, radiator, and fan clutch.
The vehicle was then driven to North Carolina for the past year or so and had no issues. Now that its back in AZ im having trouble keeping it cool.
It runs at 210 if i'm moving. If I am sitting in traffic it will hit close to 220 and stay there. ( I have the electric fan on a toggle right now to keep it on full time. When I shut the vehicle off I can hear the water bubbling in the system and it will rise in the overflow tank and puke out about half a quart.
I am noticing that the antifreeze will get low in the tank (during winter when it doesnt puke). I have no leaks, no oil in the radiator, no anti freeze in the oil, no smoke, or smell at the exhaust indicating a head gasket or head failure. What can I check at this point? Its driving me crazy!

mula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Maybe the fan clutch has gone faulty?
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe a stat? Did you off road in much out in NC? Maybe debris in the core? Try washing the core out. Here's a trick I use on the chassis dyno for over heaters. If the engine has a good stat drop but the temp continues to climb even with the fan on, Spray water on the radiator core. If the temp drops to an acceptable range, the core is plugged. Take the hose from the windshield washer and re direct it to the front of the radiator. When it gets hot, give it a good shuirt and see what happens.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
mula

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
Maybe a stat? Did you off road in much out in NC? Maybe debris in the core? Try washing the core out. Here's a trick I use on the chassis dyno for over heaters. If the engine has a good stat drop but the temp continues to climb even with the fan on, Spray water on the radiator core. If the temp drops to an acceptable range, the core is plugged. Take the hose from the windshield washer and re direct it to the front of the radiator. When it gets hot, give it a good shuirt and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie99 View Post
Maybe the fan clutch has gone faulty?
Both work fine. I just went from a 195 to the 180 last week. same results. Fan has tension when hot, so its good.
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Jeep_Tech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Iwas having the same issue with my 99. Changed the waterpump even though it was barley over a yr old. could see once I had it out the very small amount of coolent that was pushing out of the weep hole. I change the radiator cap every yr when I do a coolent flush too. Did this at the same time so not really sure which fixed it or if both played a part
Jeep_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
mula

My bearings were starting to growl in my efan so I changed that out today. Still have the same issue. It will hit 215-220 while at idle. Then when I shut it down it bubbles, and belches and either will come close to, or will puke from the overflow. I can also hear hissing around the radiator cap.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.