XJ Roll Cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Roll Cage

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
rmeyer332
1998 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Roll Cage

I need some advise on building a roll cage for my XJ. I will be completely removing the top from the A-pillar back due to rolling the vehicle, it still drives straight, I know this first hand. I have done simple roll cages before on the standard trucks utilizing the frame to build off of. But since this is a unibody and something that going to be a daily driver. I want to do it right.

image-3792839463.jpg

image-1323683708.jpg  
rmeyer332 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
xjWombat
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like one heck of an awesome project

Disclaimer is, I know nothing about fabrication or rollcages, but I have seen a thread of something similar!

A guy mates a Volvo Amazon (body on frame) to a Lexus (unibody)
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=217930

The guy builds offroaders that are just like what you're looking to do too.

There might be some handy tips in that thread. Honestly it looks like he just reinforces what is left of the unibody 'pan' and builds a complete cage around it.
xjWombat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

First off the Unibody rails need plated front to rear to build a "frame". Then you have a more solid base to start from. Research other builds and steel the good ideas!
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Isn't the front of the MJ ("frame" wise) the same as the front of the XJ? I know the rear is quite a bit different, but that's what I'm getting at. How is the rear frame of the MJ tied in to the front? Go get the rear of an MJ from the JY, and graft in onto the front of your old XJ.

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeyer332
I need some advise on building a roll cage for my XJ. I will be completely removing the top from the A-pillar back due to rolling the vehicle, it still drives straight, I know this first hand. I have done simple roll cages before on the standard trucks utilizing the frame to build off of. But since this is a unibody and something that going to be a daily driver. I want to do it right.
To be completely honest if it was me I would drive it just like that haha
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
rmeyer332
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4SQB
Isn't the front of the MJ ("frame" wise) the same as the front of the XJ? I know the rear is quite a bit different, but that's what I'm getting at. How is the rear frame of the MJ tied in to the front? Go get the rear of an MJ from the JY, and graft in onto the front of your old XJ.
XJ's don't have a front clip or frame rails, it's a unibody.
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

SO any new work on this. I think your best bet is to do a 2x6 rocker replacment and work from there. LIke the Genright ones or make your own. Get a frame stiffener and weld the rocker and the frame stiffiner together.... so like the genright kit w/ frame stiffener, and that's a good working base for your A, B, & C pillar, the D pillar will be different. ill try and post a pic in a bit.

I have some good pics some where, how people replaced their apiller with a roll cage and its awesome.

You could go 10mr glass for the front window and get rid of the doors and the hatch ... maybe even an MJ tail gate ... if you look at my build thread you can see .. it looks sweet. and then cage the rest,

But the truth is once your jeeps that hard core ... your going to have to get dana 60's, 37's and hydro.... just saying

Or just go all the way and dove tail ... go for the gold ... its not over till its over

youll look like this when your done, just maybe door less, your xj would be SIIIIIIIIIIIICK .......
dsc03598.jpg  
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

anyways .. heres a pic how to start your roll cage, like i said in the other post. Pics worth 1000 words
picture.jpg  
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

oh one more thing... (cough couch) build thread lots of pics (cough cough)
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4SQB View Post
MJs are exactly the same as the XJs as far as the frame/body goes except the MJ bed bolts on instead of being welded so it can be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeyer332 View Post
XJ's don't have a front clip or frame rails, it's a unibody.
They have both. There IS a frame in the XJ, it's merely welded to the body rather than bolted. It is entirely possible to cut the frame from the body on an XJ and it's been done before.

Unread 02-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Attachment 546917
Personally, I'd scrap it and get another XJ. I like a full body XJ, but that's me. Another thing, what you will dump into that thing to do the cage "right", well, it's going to cost you. Do you plan to drive it on the street again?

If you are going to actually go through with it, start researching unibody plating, reinforcing, and cage work here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/83-jeep-cherokee/
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Personally, I'd scrap it and get another XJ. I like a full body XJ, but that's me. Another thing, what you will dump into that thing to do the cage "right", well, it's going to cost you. Do you plan to drive it on the street again?

If you are going to actually go through with it, start researching unibody plating, reinforcing, and cage work here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/83-jeep-cherokee/
x2 .... I wouldn't spend much money on that xj but thats just me and each their own, and if you want to make it bad @$$ then go for it ... just depends what you want the end result to be

a pic of my favorite xj .. hopefully one day mine looks like that
img_0526.jpg  
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
rmeyer332
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The plan is to chop the top and put a roll cage in it. It still drives straight and I'm partial to the 5 speed manual in it. This is going to turn into my warm weather jeep. I don't plan on buying kits, I can fab and weld. This was a slow roll over on this truck, it rolled onto a stump which caused most the damage to the top.

Stage one is:
Gutting and chopping everything from the A pillar back. This is where I'm at right know, waiting for warmer weather. Weather man is calling for up to 10" of snow by Friday.
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you are chopping the top I'd use 1.75" DOM. The rest is up to however you want to design it.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
the plan is to chop the top and put a roll cage in it. It still drives straight and i'm partial to the 5 speed manual in it. This is going to turn into my warm weather jeep. I don't plan on buying kits, i can fab and weld. This was a slow roll over on this truck, it rolled onto a stump which caused most the damage to the top.

Stage one is:
Gutting and chopping everything from the a pillar back. This is where i'm at right know, waiting for warmer weather. Weather man is calling for up to 10" of snow by friday.
pics or lies :d:d

This could be a bad @$$ build .. I'm stocked ... take lots of pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.