xj rear disc brake upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > xj rear disc brake upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
sean2857
2001 XJ Cherokee 

xj rear disc brake upgrade

What parts are needed from a grand cherokee to complete the rear disc brake conversion on an 01 xj? also, what year grand cherokees will work?

Unread 10-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
JHW12084
1990 XJ Cherokee 

96-98 backing plates and calipers and caliper mount.....word of the wise......change you axle seals why you're there. also get ebrake cables for the zj
JHW12084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
sean2857
2001 XJ Cherokee 

is there a big improvement in braking compared to the drum set-up?
Unread 10-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, I noticed a good improvement. I also swapped the proportioning valve off the ZJ. For the parking brake use either side from the Zj for the xj short side and a long side cable from a 97 explorer will fit the long side.
Unread 10-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2857 View Post
is there a big improvement in braking compared to the drum set-up?
Actually, there is fairly little difference in braking performance between the XJ drums and the ZJ discs, but this ONLY applies if you are comparing XJ drums that are working as designed.

MANY owners of XJ's have drum brakes that are out of adjustment and/or have worn or non-functioning parts. These forums are rife with people complaining about this.

If your current drum brakes are not functioning as new, you can expect to see an improvement with the discs. The discs are also easier to maintain than drum brakes, once you install them.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
BigOrangeXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am considering doing the crown vic rear disc upgrade for my D44 that will be going in the rear of my '98 XJ. Are the ZJ discs/calipers suppose to be better than the crown vics or any easier of an install?

RIP - '88 BigOrangeXJ (4.6L stroker, 3.5" RE lift, 32" BFG M/T and TONS more)...
You will be resurrected as a '98.
BigOrangeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
rawk hard xj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

hope I'm not too late, have you gone here? http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBArearBrakes1.htm or here http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTerritoryRears.htm or here http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearDiscs1.htm Hope this helps. Its been a while since I've seen anyone reference this amazing site.
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Here ya go. Be sure to snag the caliper bracket mounting studs and lug studs from the donor GC axle. You're gonna need them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/z...-truth-607435/
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

The difference in braking force between rear drums and rear disks is not even noticeable. Unless you have some other reason for swapping to disks don't bother.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
The difference in braking force between rear drums and rear disks is not even noticeable. Unless you have some other reason for swapping to disks don't bother.
Like was said above, if your drums arent functioning properly, which i have seen a lot on XJs, the disc upgrade will offer greatly improved breaking performance. I noticed a huge improvement in mine and it's one of the best mods i've done so far. And of course there is the much easier maintenance to boot! It's cheap and easy and there just isn't any reason NOT to do it in my opinion.
Mwildmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
xjman4life
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I did this mod with a 95-98 zj kit. I had to use a e brake cable from a ford explorer on my 01 because the second zj brake cable was too short. I also had to get longer studs from advance to replace the old ones. It was a nice upgrade and only had to modify the backing plate center hole slightly to work. It brakes much more controlled and in a straight line vs pulling to the left or right before because of improperly adjusted rears.
30's
PORC SYE
3 Inch Sway Links
xjman4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman4life
I did this mod with a 95-98 zj kit. I had to use a e brake cable from a ford explorer on my 01 because the second zj brake cable was too short. I also had to get longer studs from advance to replace the old ones. It was a nice upgrade and only had to modify the backing plate center hole slightly to work. It brakes much more controlled and in a straight line vs pulling to the left or right before because of improperly adjusted rears.
I used the cables from an exploder and the driver side cable is too long to tighten up.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwildmann View Post
Like was said above, if your drums arent functioning properly, which i have seen a lot on XJs, the disc upgrade will offer greatly improved breaking performance. I noticed a huge improvement in mine and it's one of the best mods i've done so far. And of course there is the much easier maintenance to boot! It's cheap and easy and there just isn't any reason NOT to do it in my opinion.
The reason not to do it is that it is a pain to get the front and back braking balanced. The easiest thing to do when your drums are not functioning properly is to fix your drum brakes. I had put disk brakes on two different rear axles in my CJ and I can say that it was a lot easier to deal with the original drums than the new disk brake setups on either axle. If you put disk brakes on a rear axle that did not originally have them then be prepared to tweak the rear brake system.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
midtownboarder
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i swapped liberty discs onto my rear 44, easier than a gc swap imo if you can find the parts easy enough...
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

IMHO.. the rear conversion is worth it to never, ever have to deal with the drum system again. I very much dislinke those... at least the parking brake is simple, like motorcycle drums.

Any truck or car drum system is a pain with all those springs, adjusters, and other bs. Ive had no issues, without using a proportioning valve mod, in my xj with zj discs. I have enjoyed the increase in performance, which I compare to the new rears I did on my wife's xj. Granted, it may also help that I went to braided lines, which will make for a bit less give in the hoses.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.